1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

i5 750 and Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 Good Combo?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Skakruk, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Skakruk

Skakruk  

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. -n7-

-n7- Member

1. That's a great CPU & mobo, & OCing is easy with them if you [hopefully] change your mind.

2. AMD tends to win bang for buck in the mid-range/lower end categories, but for higher end "budget" if you want to call it, the i5 750 is a solid option.

3. No, not really.
    But many games benefit from a few cores or more, nevermind the boost you'd get in multitasking or video stuff, etc.

P.S.
    This is why you need to OC
    [​IMG]

Obviously i got somewhat lucky, & i'm not using stock cooling, but you can do 3.5+ GHz easily.

Edit 2: Hah, i see you also post on XS.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  3. ZenPirate

ZenPirate Living Legend (and moderator)

Gigabyte makes good gear, period.

4. ZenPirate

tri-channel is 970 series only.

5. ZenPirate

^ If you're not having any trouble with your current gear leave it alone. If anything, pick up a used quad core from someone who just upgraded to the "i" series.

6. Deathmaker

Deathmaker Balanced

I've just ordered the same combo, couldn't decide between the GA-P55-UD3, the GA-P55A-UD3, GA-P55-UD3R or the Asus P7P55D LE. I've always used Asus mobo's so decided on a change and went with the vanilla UD3. From reviews & forum posts I've read, we've both made a good choice.

I went with 4GB of Corsair Dominator 1600MHz stuff, the timings are a bit loose at 9-9-9-24 but Lynnfield doesn't seem to be affected too much by it, plus, Corsair stuff usually tightens up quite well with a bit of luck.

Also on the shopping list was a Titan Fenrir with the obligatory AS5, a fantastic cooler for the price & with any luck will grant me access to the 4GHz club.

A new SATA burner to go with the Samsung 1TB F3 that Santa brought me & I should be good to go, all going in my now ageing Akasa Eclipse case with a Corsair HX520 and a 275GTX that replaced my deceased 8800gts a few months ago.

Should be a nice boost from an overclocked 4200x2 with 2GB of DDR1! :D

PS I just saw your building guide, cracking job mate! :tup:

7. -n7-

-n7- Member

Deathmaker, You realize the P55A series boards feature SATA3 (6 Gb/s) & USB3, right?

Even though the implementation isn't perfect & using those features steals PCI-e bandwidth, it's still a pretty big deal.

8. TurdDrive

TurdDrive sam k

I have tri channel on my i7 920.

9. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

This thread is either going to explain it to you clearly or totally confuse you. Don't ask me to explain it now though as I don't completely understand it right now. I understood it when I needed to, so just see if the concepts can be applied to your present system/situation:
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=463665

10. -n7-

-n7- Member

You don't.

Maximum "official Intel" spec RAM for P55 is DDR3-1333.

Unofficially, most motherboards have the following ratios for the following CPUs:

i5 750 = 6/8/10x (DDR3-800/1066/1333)
    i7 860/870 = 6/8/10/12x (DDR3-800/1066/1333/1600)

As you have an i5 750, the max you can do it 10x.

So 20x133 = 2666 MHz (CPU speed)
    133 x 10 = DDR3-1333.

Only way for you to do DDR3-1600 is to run 160 BCLK.

You could do that speed @ stock voltages.

11. Deathmaker

Deathmaker Balanced

Yeah, I know, it was just something else to add to the "not required" list along with SLi & Crossfire. It might be different if I was going to be adding a couple of RAID'ed SSD's, but for one 1TB drive and a couple of old 250GB drives SATA2 will more than suffice. By the time I get around to buying anything that will require USB3 the mobo will have no doubt made it's way down the line to one of the other four PC's in the house, if not, then there's always the option of an expansion card. Basically I wanted something cheap & cheerful that will allow me to (hopefully) wring the neck of the 750.

The screenshots are from the UD4/5 but there's plenty of BOIS info here. It's meant to be a reference for hitting 4GHz with the 750 so you probably won't want your mum's set up the same way but it does explain what many options are for.

At the minute, i5 & i7 on socket 1156 are dual channel, i7 on socket 1366 are triple channel. Then there's the soon to be released i3 & i9 which I think are to be 1156 & 1366, respectively.

12. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

It was a lot easier 4-6 years ago when the relationships between CPU/RAM/FSB with their clock speeds and stuff made perfect sense and was a little easier to figure out. Now the RAM seems to be a little ahead of the CPU clocks and the multipliers aren't really there to keep up, etc.

13. -n7-

-n7- Member

I'd have to disgree.

Calculating RAM speed is far easier in i5/i7 as it's easy numbers like 3/4/5/6x (or 6/8/10/12x double data rate values)

With FSB Intels, it was all fractions...
    1:1 5:6 4:5 3:4 2:3 5:8 3:5 1:2 being the main ones.

14. -n7-

-n7- Member

If you aren't OCing, i would definitely leave the CPU [power saving] features you mentioned enabled.

RAM voltage needs to be set manually, though i doubt there's even an option for 1.35v... you might have to use 1.5v.

15. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

Leave turbo boost on. That allows the CPU to overclock the cores that are being used if you're doing a lot of single-threaded stuff.

16. ZenPirate

Typo on my part. I meant that chip :D

17. -n7-

-n7- Member

This explains it decently.
    http://www.techarp.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?lang=0&bogno=434

Basically, don't touch it; AUTO is fine.

I don't even mess with that for OCing...definitely not something to worry about on a stock system.

And i'd try the lower vDIMM (1.3v) if that's stable (Memtest86+ v4.00 to be sure).