1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I need some basic design advice

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Ironblayde, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Ironblayde

Ironblayde Director of Misanthropy

I'm still working on my first map in UnrealEd 2, which I've posted questions about a few times before. Sometimes I wonder if this thing will ever be finished. :) Anyway, the map is mostly indoors in one of two bases, and there's an outside section in which the bases are connected on multiple levels (kind of like in CTF-Noxion16). The problem is that the way I have it now, the large subtractive brush onto which my skybox is projected doesn't extend all the way to the rear of the base, and I'm not sure whether I should make it do so or not. The images below show what I'm talking about. The shot ironctf-side.jpg shows an edge-on view of where the skybox ends at present, and ironctf-front.jpg shows what the back of the base looks like from outside. Both shots are textured only.

The thing is, I'm not sure whether to leave it like that or not. With the lighting applied, that area of the map is very dark, and you can't see it from the front of the base, so it wouldn't be glaringly obvious that the base looks incomplete unless a player gets it into his head to translocate or hammer jump himself back there. The way I see it, there are five alternatives:

1. Leave the map the way it is. Pros: No additional work required, "problem" area generally not visible. Cons: Looks very unnatural to the player who likes to explore.

2. Expand the outdoor area all the way to the rear of the base and do at least a simple model of the complete base exterior. Pros: Most "accurate" of the five options. Cons: From the opposing sniper towers, the already-high poly count outside will increase; and an enemy flag carrier who gets himself back there will have a huge wide-open space to run around on that's completely removed from most of the action in the game.

3. Implement option 2, but throw in an invisible collision hull to keep flag carriers from hiding away in a place from which it will be extremely difficult to dislodge them. Pros: Solves the problem of sneaky players exploiting my attempt to pay attention to detail. Cons: Outdoor poly count is still high, and it's unnatural to be able to see a bit of architecture right in front of you that you can't access.

4. Construct some type of visible barrier. This is the approach taken by CTF-Noxion16, but the shape of the exterior of my base doesn't allow for me to simply extend the base's facade to the upper limit of the map. Pros: Combines the benefits of the first two options without their drawbacks. Cons: I'll be damned if I know what kind of barrier I could put in that would look normal in the setting I've created for my map.

5. Junk the map entirely, swear off UnrealEd and move to Kenya. Pros: Eliminates possibility of future mapping problems, cost of living decreases. Cons: Worrying prevalence of disease, also Kenyans get lousy pings.

I think option 4 would be ideal if only there was a type of barrier, like a mountain face or something, that would look correct in my map, instead of looking like it was created solely for the purpose of keeping nosy players away. Option 2 is probably out because of the problem of sneaky flag carriers. Thus I'm somewhat torn between 1 and 3, but I haven't ruled anything out yet; I'd love to hear from someone more experienced. What works best for a situation like this? Thanks a lot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2004
  2. Hourences

Hourences New Member

-3 , but without 2 in it, just a invis wall and no access to roof whatsoever
    fixed
    its done like that in a lot of maps

adding more will increase your work and polycount while it has little use, adding another thing wont fix it either, adding a rockwall for example is not going to help because people will translocate over that as well, and then you simply moved the problem
    if you can see the area in sniper tower on another way, just place a big wall or extend the roof area a bit with a big flat simple poly and then also put a invisbile block again

3. Ironblayde

Ironblayde Director of Misanthropy

I will give it a shot. I don't know how well it'll work out since the profile of the front of my base wasn't designed with such a thing in mind, but I'll try a few things and just see what happens. And now I know something else to watch out for next time. :) Thanks for the input.