1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I need advice on which vid card to get.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Monsoon, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Monsoon

Monsoon New Member

What's the difference between Athlon & Athlon "XP",what is this suffix for?

2. [UM]theswarm

[UM]theswarm Spork of the Apocalypse!

The Athlon XP is newer, I'll just leave it at that without getting into technical details.

3. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Like WORF said, I would go with AMD, there prices are better for what you get. And the temperatures are a lot lower which is always good (i know this is the case with the high spec ones, not sure about lower models though)

4. Monsoon

Monsoon New Member

AMD it is! I'm just overwhelmed by the diferent versions there are.

This one here below is a sweet deal(courtesy of WORF,also been very helpful), they install it for you and everything, and they know about compatibility,but I can't decide though, I heard that Antec cases & psu's are good.
    I'm gathering parts for my new comp, but I want to make sure there all compatible with each other, and I don't want to get anything that's obsolete or will be in a couple months or so!

Right now I'm comparing notes with other threads from fellow forumers like the following;
    What would be the best cpu compatible with this mobo without breaking the bank?

And what type of memory?

Or is there a better mobo than this one?

5. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

well here are the specs for that board:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=607

You would need an Athlon 64 chip for it:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-501&depa=0

at this point you're up to $300 for the board and chip. It's not bad as comps go, but I was trying to get you in for $500-600 for the whole system, and we haven't gotten to memory or video yet. I'm sure if you give a number, I or any of a dozen others could put together all the pieces and see just how much you could get for what you want to spend.

Just so you know, there are barebones on newegg too:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=3&DEPA=0

lots of options to get exactly what you're looking for. You just need to figure out what that is, and what you're willing to spend on it. As I said, there are plenty here who can help you put the pieces together.

6. Monsoon

Monsoon New Member

I'll go up high as $800, with the best AMD offers(I don't know if it's XP or 64?),campatability, and 100% upgradable for years to come,....

7. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

If you wanna be 100% upgradable your living in a dream world sadly. Computer technology gores out of date so quick. I have just bought a brand new AMD64 Mobo with AGp socket, and suddenly PCIe comes down in price loads and I now have more money......
    (anyone looking for a MSI K8N Neo2 for socket 939 - pm me)

8. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

it won't be 100% uupgradeable unless you get the most kickass motherboard available now and stock it with average parts. Even then, technology will get obsolete eventually.

However, if you pile on decent-but-not-crazy parts, you can then upgrade the parts one at a time as things upgrade and go down in price. From my original set up, I changed the sound card, added a hard drive, doubled the RAM, changed the video card, and only now am I at the point where the next logical step is to swap out the mobo/cpu. Then I'll start the whole process over again.

9. Monsoon

Monsoon New Member

What I meant was upgradeable as much as possible, I guess it's what I should've said, mostly as far the case is concerned, aw well my bad!

10. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

i would recomend an Athlon as they are cheaper than Pentiums and are better at everything but desktop use.

Depending on what your budget i would either go Socket A (cheap) or Socket 939 (trwice the price but very up to date. I wouldn't go Socket 754 as it is going out of date already and never really got in date tbh....

with $800, Socket 939 should just about be an option, depending on what gfx you want

/edit : like i said, i have an unopened MSI K8N Neo2 939pin Mobo if you would like to buy it. I would like as near to £90 ($170) as possible - thats how much i paid, best offer so far has been £75 ($142)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2005