1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I need advice on which vid card to get.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Monsoon, Feb 10, 2005.

1. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

^^ Learn something new everyday. I'm guessing that wouldn't be the case updating to an AMD64 though?

Look like a pretty tidy computer there, but in my experiences I would get a Radeon gfx card, you get more bangs for your buck. (That is unless your getting a PCIe mobo - which is out of your range)

2. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

I didn't get into PCIe as I figured that would drive up the cost.

Anyway, the only reason that reinstall MIGHT not apply is that he's running Windows 98. If he had told me XP I would have guaranteed a reinstall would be necessary. Also, I didn't quote him an AMD64 proc or mobo so...

3. Deathmaker

Deathmaker Balanced

Just note that ATX PSU's as old as yours more than likely suck air into the case and over the cpu, which is far from ideal for today's cpu's. Then there's the fact that your psu will be grossly underpowered for the components Worf listed. Basically, add a new psu (and no doubt, case) to that list.

4. W0RF

Nah, you can put anything you want into any case you want (obviously there are exceptions, you can't cram an ATX board into a micro case, and propietary cases suck *cough* Compaq *cough*).

You're right though, he'll need a new PSU to power the beast.

5. Monsoon

Monsoon New Member

A psu does,t cost that much.

I'm going to go ahead and build it from scratch, I looked up all those parts you mentioned in newegg, but there are different versions& prices of each, does it matter which one I choose?

6. W0RF

Yes and no. As long as your parts are compatible with each other it won't matter much. Here are the specific parts I looked up, assuming an AGP video card, and making sure your mobo has no onboard video (thus reducing cost but requiring the card) and supports the other hardware:

512MB Corsair PC3200 DDR RAM
    MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR nForce 2 Ultra motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP 3200+, even boxed with heatsink and CPU fan.
    nVidia GeForce 6600 video card or ATI Radeon 9800 (but ask some ATI fanbois what would be the best AGP card for under $200)

For a PSU, you need at least 400W in my estimation, but you could go up to 500W without taking too big a hit.

I think it best to warn you that installing a mobo is probably the single most complicated process in comp building (especially being careful of the processor and heatsink). If you're not a fairly accomplished installer of things, I would recommend seeking help from someone you know who has done it before. I'm not saying you're incompetent or stupid, I'm just disclaiming any problems that may arise from something that may potentially wipe out the money you invested. I don't want you to have any problems with your new rig, and I'm sure you don't want that either ;)

7. Monsoon

Monsoon New Member

Are there cases that already come a psu?

8. Monsoon

Monsoon New Member

I don't have much knowlegde of computers and I really don't know nobody that knows, I would ask you do it for me(I'll pay you ofcourse) but, the shipping would add up.

I can go to one of these stores like compusa, to install the motherboard at least(and I might have to purchase it there to), and install the rest myself.

9. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

About power supplies, here is a link my uncle gave me for helping me decide whether I needed a new psu. You input what you have an it tells you the power needed. veryhandy indeed.
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

10. W0RF

Yes.

I would be happy to do it for you for only the cost of the parts, but as you said, shipping all that hardware will boost your cost considerably.

A computer shop might do the install for you, but I don't know if chains like Micro Center or CompUSA would get pissy about doing jobs on machines that didn't come from their own store. :shrug: Smaller shops would probably do it, though.

Guys like my uncle (by marriage) could do something for you too and not jack up the price. Not to pimp family or anything (even though I sort of just did), but there are several options for you out there. For example, you could get a "barebones" case with a mobo and proc already installed and put your old components (and a new vid card) into that new box.

11. Thanatos45

Thanatos45 Frag-tastic

:eek:

A 400W PSU for $39?

Those things are around $70 here :(

12. W0RF

You can still pay $70 for one of the super-powered super-quiet PSU's at that wattage. Hell, I can show you a 400W PSU that costs $300. But for an average, run of the mill no-brand power supply, $40 is about average now.

13. Twisted Metal

Twisted Metal Anfractuous Aluminum

I wouldn't cheap out on the power supply though, almost all of the no name power supplies I had ended up breaking on me. They did last a couple of years but the way I see it a good PSU should last the life of the computer, right?

14. W0RF

The life of your computer is more than a couple years? :confused:

15. Monsoon

Monsoon New Member

I'm confused here, I thought the AMD Athlon 64 Processor is way over $1,000,
    & (I don't mean to sound skeptic or anything), how can your uncle sell it so cheap?

16. Twisted Metal

I don't think I ever had a PC break down on me because of "old age".

The cheapo power supplies I had broke down on me between 2 and 3 years, maybe even less, and I rarely leave my PC on 24/7. I'm not saying that all cheapo PSU's will break down in a short time, but the two ones that I had did. And a PSU is a very important part of a PC, so just stick with a decent brand, like Antec.

17. Twisted Metal

"the most powerful processor from AMD is over $1000"

keywords here being "most powerful", meaning the best one you can buy. You're looking at around $200 for a decent Athlon 64 processor.

18. W0RF

1). The price is way less than that. Remember before when you linked me to that AMD64 proc that was only $284? The big guns are $1000.

2). He buys at cost and sells the bundle for less than the sum of its parts. What's nice is not having to sell the Windows license, that always drives up the price :(
    No, but surely you upgrade enough that you eventually have to swap out the PSU? I'm on my 4th in like 6ish years and haven't lost one to burnout.

19. Monsoon

Monsoon New Member

Are they just as good as the pentium4's? Will any version Amd64 3000+, 3200+, 3400+ etc....run today's games?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2005
  20. W0RF

Absolutely. I have an Athlon TBird 1600 (1.4 GHz) and play UT2004 quite happily.

A while back, AMD got into the strange habit of naming their processors not after their own clock speeds, but the comparable clock speeds of Intel processors. In other words, an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (2.2 GHz) is supposed to be comparable to a 3.2 GHz P4 chip with the same basic parameters.

If you want to go Pentium, it's no difference to me. I just handed down an AMD setup because I like AMD chips better, and because you could get an nForce board with it, which afaik there are no Intel nForce boards.