I need advice on which vid card to get.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
monsoon3 said:
But it's not available here in the U.S., would it be compatible with any software/games here? And the connections, and so forth,.....
Thats a bummer.... just looked at the American ebuyer they have completely different stock..... Haven't really looked for a similar priced comp on American sites

Its £250 so thats $466. I guess you could get it shipped across but that might cost a lot (no idea how much)

About whether it would work in the USA, afaik (never been there) you would only have to get a different power connecter, you use 220volts iirc, so you may also need a new power suply, have seen really good ones for $60 so you could probably find an adequete US one for around $20.

Might be going out of your budget though....

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
UNR3AL,

That card will do his current system no good. You can't stick a 6800 Ultra into a Pentium III 450 and expect to see results.

Bottom line: the system itself is just outdated and needs replacing.

Monsoon

Jun 25, 2000
Visit site
To hell with upgrading, I'll just buy another comp!

This is what I'm getting

eMachines T3256

Processor-- AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (2.2 GHz)
RAM installed-- 512 MB DDR SDRAM
Cache size - type-- 512 KB L2 cache
Hard drive-- 160 GB Standard
2nd hard drive-- None None
CD / DVD drive-- DVD±RW IDE
2nd optical storage type-- CD-ROM
Monitor type - technology - form factor-- None.
Graphics processor-- NVidia nForce2 IGP
Audio output-- Integrated Sound card
Cabinet form factor-- Tower
Dimensions (W x D x H)-- 7.2 in x 16 in x 14.1 in
Built-in devices-- LED indicators
OS provided-- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

$529.95

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
lol how friendly W0RF :D

Monsoon3, do NOT get a E-machine, they are completely crap.

They make you want to buy it because it has an XP 3200 (and you think wow 3200!!!1one! Thats fast I want one.!) but it has crap memory: SDRAM, pure evil!! It has a crappy motherboard, one to accomodate the SDRAM, which prolly isn't top notch, etc.

You best bet is building your own system (or let a friend do it if you don't know how to.)

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
and their modems explode.

no, seriously, they do.

I would BUILD you a better comp than that for probably less money.

Last edited:

Thanatos45

Frag-tastic
Mar 19, 2004
Dutchieland
_Zd_Meelobee_ said:
lol how friendly W0RF :D

Monsoon3, do NOT get a E-machine, they are completely crap.

They make you want to buy it because it has an XP 3200 (and you think wow 3200!!!1one! Thats fast I want one.!) but it has crap memory: SDRAM, pure evil!! It has a crappy motherboard, one to accomodate the SDRAM, which prolly isn't top notch, etc.

You best bet is building your own system (or let a friend do it if you don't know how to.)

It doesn't have crappy RAM, DDR is just a form of SDRAM (AFAIK, please don't kill me if I'm wrong :p), we all have it inside our rigs (well unless you are one of the two persons on this world who still has RD or EDO ram) ;)

But for the rest, well, if 2 persons say an E-machine is crap, it probably is despite what I said :p

edit: and if you buy a new comp, PLEASE buy a decent graphics card for it if you want to play any games, integrated graphics is, together with non- DDR SDram, the incarnation of pure, unwashed evil.

Last edited:

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
K7N2 DELTA2-LSR mobo
Athlon XP 3200+
512MB PC3200 DDR
GeForce 6600

Right there, $500 per Newegg. Another $50 or so for the case and fans and wiring and I've basically matched the e-machines build with superior hardware, including a video card.

I'm assuming, though, that you're using your original monitor, hard drives, cd-drives, and Windows. There's nothing I can do about the cost of a Windows upgrade. Other components like a DVD-ROM or whatever I can get a fair deal on, and there's even a chance I can order some hardware at cost to save more money.

My point is, even if you don't ask me directly to build it, you can do better than what they're offering at their price.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
very likely. If your other hardware (hard drive, CDROM etc) are older, then they may still run slowly. I doubt you'll have much trouble, but for example, if the bus speed of your hard drive is slower than the mobo ATA bus (unlikely but possible), than your comp will continue to shuttle data to and from the hard drive at the lower speed.

Without complete knowledge of your parts I can't say anything for 100% certain, but a cautious guess is that you could pull it off. With some luck, you wouldn't even have to reinstall Windows to get it working right.

You should realize, though, that replacing the motherboard basically amounts to tearing down your entire system and rebuilding it. It's more involved than just plugging in a card or even hooking up an IDE drive.

Last edited: