1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I need advice on which vid card to get.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by Monsoon, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Monsoon

Monsoon New Member

I want to know which graphics card anyone recommends me to install in my ancient Hewlett Packard Pavilion 8485Z, Pentium 3 450MHz, 96MB memory PC.

I already have an NVIDIA RIVA TNT2(Viper V770) card I installed back in "99" to play the original Unreal Tournament, I still play U.T. in addition to other games that came out around that time as well, but I want to upgrade my comp to play newer games!

I know I'll probably have to install more memory also, and even upgrade windows,(Windows XP maybe?),currently running 98, and I really don't want to buy another PC, unless I really, really have to!

So, any help would be appreciated, Thank You!

2. tool

tool BuFs #1 mom

How much money can you spend on a new computer? I think you fall under the category of "Really really have to buy a new computer". If you are o.k. with buying one only if you really really have to like you said then I say go ahead and buy a new computer. Look at your funds and see what you can work with.

As far as what you should get, a Radeon 9600 or better is your best bet. I've fallen behind on the current generation graphic cards though and honestly couldn't tell you what is out there that is good. I only know what the current highend cards are. There are low end, midrange, and highend ones out there, you want a midrange or highend graphics card. If you can just go all out and buy a ATi XT800 or Nvidia Geforce 6800.

As for CPU, this is a no brainer, they are dirt cheap, just buy the most powerful thing from AMD or Intel.

Ram you will want 1gig of ram.

You will pretty much need Windows XP, as most current games require it now.

I have a radeon 9800 pro and I love it. It runs everything I throw at it at 60fps or better with graphic quality maxed.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  3. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

If I were you I would by a new computer.......
    imo with a spec like that a 9200 would be fine. otherwise any benefits would be halted by the ancient hardware. Ive seen 9200se's for £25 on ebuyer

You could probably get a low spec computer for very little money (ie Athlon 2000 and 256mb of RAM)

Personally I dont think 1 gig is worth the money, my priority would be getting a decent processer. It all depends what you want to uise it for though

4. Thanatos45

Thanatos45 Frag-tastic

You should definitely buy a newer comp. The TNT 2 is about the maximum that a PIII 450 can handle before the processor becomes a huge bottleneck. Perhaps a Geforce 2 could work but that'd be the absolute max, and even then you'd be very, very far behind today's gaming standards.

If you have the funds, you should just buy a new mobo, an Athlon 64 and throw in a GeForce 6600GT, 6800GT or a Radeon x800 Pro and 1 GB DDR400 ram. If you really have an overload of money you could consider 2 GeForce 6800 Ultras with SLI (ATI doesn't have SLI cards yet so Nvidia is your only option here), an Athlon 64 4000+ and 2 GB ram. For an HD I'd get a 80 GB @ at least 7200 RPM, it's enough if you aren't into downloading movies/ music, otherwise I'd suggest a 160 GB HD or around that size. As for the PSU I'd get a 400W type, 520W with the "money overload" setup.

If you're a bit short on money I'd save up, but if you really can't wait I'd search for an AthlonXP processor and mobo (DO NOT buy a Sempron, they're AMD's equivalent of Intel's Celeron and thus not really suited for today's games) and throw in a Radeon 9600XT and 512 MB DDR333 ram at the very least. HD is the same as above, 80 GB is really cheap today. As for a PSU I think you can go with the standard thingy that gets delivered with most comps, around 300-350W.

5. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

If he is planning on not buying a new comp dya really thinkn he is gonna splash out on an AMD4000+ and 2 gig of RAM and SLI express.
    BTW the Semprons are essentially identical to the old Athlon XP's. they have been renamed so new buyers will not mistake them for the 64bit varient.

6. Thanatos45

Thanatos45 Frag-tastic

No idea, I was merely making a SUGGESTION, he doesn't have to buy it if he doesn't want to.

And the Semprons do have half the cache memory compared to the AthlonXP CPUs.

7. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Ther more effiecient so they don't such a big cache. The same is true of the 939 pin AMD64's compared to the 754pin's. They have larger bandwidth etc

8. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

It's not exactly true either, barton core Athlon XPs have 512k cache, older ones have 256k the same as the Sempron.

I really think you need to upgrade your entire computer. Your current motherboard probably only supports AGP 2x, so will not be compatible with new graphics cards at all. What is your overall budget for the upgrade?

9. tool

tool BuFs #1 mom

512mb of ram is fine now, but games need 1gig are just around the corner. I have 2gigs of DDR ram and I can tell you it was well worth the money.

10. Monsoon

Monsoon New Member

Wow! So many recommendations, and I want to thank you all!

I really don't have much money to throw around for now,I.m saving up for an HDTV, I want to upgrade just enough to play newer games(by that I mean games that have come out in the last year or so, doesn't have to be recently released ones), I want to keep it simple for now untill I can buy another PC, and then I can just have this one as a spare to play Unreal Tournament, some older games I already own, and, like I said before, games that have come out in past months or year.

I've looked into the Radeon 9600, which is the cheapest one I've seen, and I'll take my PC to a local Best Buy store to have a few rams of memory installed, and just go from there I guess, what do you guys think?

UT should run ok with the Radeon 9600 right? Can,t live without my UT!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2005
  11. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

UT2004 runs pretty well even on a 9200se with medium settings. and that card costs £25. I would recomend a Radeon 9600XT 128MB, its a good reliable card

12. Thanatos45

Thanatos45 Frag-tastic

Ut will run fine on a Radeon 9600, buy I think it's really useless to buy one, the processor and ram will simply be way too much of a bottleneck for it to be effective, and besides, it most likely won't even work on an AGP 2x slot (although I'm not entirely sure of this)

In this case it really isn't worth upgrading, you'd have to change so many parts to bring it a little more up to date that you might as well buy a whole new machine, so I'd add the money you reserved for a new graphics card and memory sticks to your HDTV budget and wait until you have the funds to buy a new PC, or ditch the HDTV and buy a new PC (but judging from your posts I imagine the latter isn't an option :p)

13. Deathmaker

Deathmaker Balanced

It will run it ok, but, as others have said, you'll be wasting money on a 9600 as a P3/450 just hasn't the grunt to power it to anything like what it's capable of.

Imho your best bet is to look somewhere like eBay for a Geforce 2 Pro/ultra (notMX), a couple of 128mb sticks of pc100 ram (that's what you'll be running with that P3 iirc), hell, you can buy a second hand box on eBay with a higher specced cpu for less than £100.

Honestly, you're not gonna be able to play the majority of games realeased in the last couple of years at an acceptable frame rate, no matter how you upgrade the gfx. Best to resign yourself to the fact you need to save up a bit longer, bite the bullet then buy a whole new rig.

14. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

An AGP8x card won't even fit into an AGP2x slot, the notches are in different places. They use different voltage power supplies, so are not compatible at all.

Of course, your AGP slot might be 4X, but only you can tell us that.

15. Monsoon

Monsoon New Member

So, I'll have to install a new motherboard, I saw an Intel P4-2.4b Ghz 533mhz Fsb Pga478 for $169.99, & a Amd Athlon Xp 2200+ 384K Cache Socka 266MHZ Core Freq 1.80GHZ for 179.99. Both on Amazon.com.

I can get one of those, and the Geforce 2 Pro ultra (or Radeon 9600XT 128MB), & 512MB of memory, and what else will I need?

I decided to upgrade this comp, because what good will it do to buy another one if it's going to be absolete in another couple years just like this one also! And then I'll be back posting the same question here again!

This PC seems to have alot of room for upgrades, so I'll take advantage of that, I'de like to play Unreal Tournament(the 1st one) on it with better frame rates though!

I think it does have a 4x slot, I installed the Diamond Viper V770 card and it supports both 2x & 4x, It still has the original video card it came with installed, which is a ATI Rage 128 8MB.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2005
  16. Monsoon

Monsoon New Member

Here's my PC specs,

HP Pavilion PC Model 8485Z (US) - Product Specifications

Model number
    D7400A

Base processor and speed
    Intel Pentium (R) III processor 450 MHz

Chipset
    440BX/100

Memory
    RAM (standard)
    96 MB (SDRAM)

Maximum
    384 MB (3 x 128 MB DIMM)

Speed
    100 MHz synchronous

Sockets
    3 - 168 pin DIMMs

Size
    16, 32, 64, and 128 MB DIMMs

Pairs Required
    No

Type Supported
    SDRAM, 100 MHz, Intel PC SDRAM unbuffered DIMM specification, revision 1.0 compliant

Cache
    Level 1 (Primary):
    32 KB (on processor)

Upgrade Sockets:
    None

Level 2:
    512 KB (on processor)

Hard drive
    13.6 GB (3.5-inch form factor)

CD-ROM drive
    Speed:
    32x maximum speed

Access Speed:
    85 ms

Transfer Rate:
    2.0-4.8 MB/sec

Diskette drive
    1.44 MB (3.5-inch form factor)

Zip drive
    Iomega 100 MB

Fax/Data modem
    Fax/Data modem:
    Rockwell RipTide combo card (supports V.90 K56 Flex protocols)

Data speed
    56 (Kbps)

Fax speed
    Up to 14.4 Kbps

Plug and Play
    Yes

Hayes compatible
    Yes

Data compression
    v.42 bis

Error correction
    v .42

COM port (default)
    2 Or 3

IRQ (default)

EIA fax commands
    Class 1

Video
    Video Graphics
    PCI Local Bus

Controller
    ATI Rage 128

Video Memory
    8 MB SDRAM, AGP 2X upgradable

Feature Connector (Game/joystick)
    Yes

Resolutions
    Note: Video resolutions dependent upon specific display used

640 x 480
    16/256/32K/64K/16.7M colors

800 x 600
    16/256/32K/64K colors

1024 x 768
    16/256/32K/64K colors

1280 x 1024

MPEG-1/2
    MPEG-1 for full-screen, full-motion digital video

Sound/Audio
    Compatibility
    3-D Stereo, PCI, 16-bit Sound

Controller
    AMC97 codec

Noise cancellation
    Yes

Line out
    Yes

3-D spatializer
    Yes

Wavetable
    Yes

Tone control
    No

Microphone
    With HP Pavilion Multimedia Display

Speakers
    HP/Polk Audio stereo speakers

External ports
    Serial:

USB:

Parallel:

Game:

Digital Camera

Expansion slots
    Type
    Total
    Available

ISA:

PCI:

AGP:

Drive bays

Total drive bays

3.5-inch, external:

3.5-inch, internal:

5.25-inch, external:

5.25-inch, internal:

Combo:

Open drive bays

3.5-inch, internal:

Keyboard/Mouse
    One-touch Multimedia keyboard, scroller mouse

BIOS
    Condor 2 Software Build 2.15.26

Supported operating systems (OS/NOS)
    Microsoft (R) Windows 98

Complete software package
    The following software is preloaded on the hard disk drive and can be reloaded by using the Recovery CD.

Operating System
    Windows 98

Productivity and Finance
    Microsoft Works

Smith/Micro QuickLink III FAX software

Microsoft Money 99

Quicken (R) Basic 99 by Intuit

HP Financial Calculator

Education and Reference
    Microsoft Encarta 99 Encyclopedia

Entertainment
    HP Pavilion Media Rack by Willow Pond

Internet and Online
    HP At Home Owners Website

Customized Browser

HP Message Board

Disney’s Blast Online (TM)

Personalized Yahoo! Web page

America Online (with Windows 98)

CompuServe WinCim (with Windows 98)

PRODIGY Internet Service (with Windows 98)

AT&T WorldNet (with Windows 98)

NETCOMplete by NETCOM (with Windows 98)

Service and Support
    Hardware Diagnostics by AMI

HP Help

HP Pavilion Library

HP Pavilion Recovery Kit

SystemWizard by SystemSoft

VirusScan by McAfee

17. [UM]theswarm

[UM]theswarm Spork of the Apocalypse!

Yeah I'd trash the whole thing, just how much are you willing spend on a new PC?

18. Thanatos45

Thanatos45 Frag-tastic

I think you'll need another HD too because your current HDD will most likely bottleneck a possible new system because of it's low RPM, and you'll also notice that your HD will be completely filled in no time because of the size of these days' software. Anyway, 80 GB is not all that expensive now,you should be able to get a decent brand new one for around $60-70. As for the graphics card, definitely go for the Radeon 9600XT, the Geforce 2 won't help you much in playing any games released during the past 2 years.

19. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Here is something you may find interesting
    Its a whole comp minus a moniter and a floppy drive.
    It is a half decent spec comp which is fine for someone who doesn't fancy building up from seperate parts. Say you wanted to play UT2004 you would need a gfx card, Since you don't want to spend too much money perhaps a Radeon 9200se my freind has one and it runs UT2004 on medium settings and will run UT99 effortlessly.
    I might be doing a similar set up for a freind, it all depends how much money you are planning on spending.
    Would be really usefull to let us know how much you have available to spend

20. Monsoon

Monsoon New Member

That looks like a sweet deal for that Comp, that's exactly what I'm looking for

I happen to have a spare monitor.

But it's not available here in the U.S., would it be compatible with any software/games here? And the connections, and so forth,.....

I guess I can do a search for the manufacturer's website and email them about it.

How much is the price in US $

Right now I have around $400.00 to spend, maybe I can scrape up a little more.