1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

i miss my "dual textures" and what is preaching?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by henke, Jun 16, 2001.

1. henke

henke New Member

ok im not sure if they are called dual textures but anyhow,
    when i had my voodo2 card i had "dual textures" in the game.
    And now i have geforce 2mx and i dont have the dual textures...
    sure i dont need them, but they make the maps look much nicer.

and what is the preaching thing it does every time it loads a map?

2. Zaphrod

Zaphrod President of the Universe

Um Dual textures huh? I am pretty sure the geforce improves on that old technology. I would say the difference in visual quality might be due to UT's use of Glide which looks better than D3D in UT. OpenGL looks alot better too.

You can turn precaching off by editing the Unrealtournament.ini file under Direct3D "DoPrecache=False"

3. 8-4-7-2

8-4-7-2 New Member

With precaching you load textures into a cache before the game starts, thus saving CPU time later.
    Let it on

4. Hatecrime69

Hatecrime69 Novice

isn't dual textures multitextureing?

5. Hourences

Hourences New Member

hmm
    indeed those 2nd detail texture made it alot prettyer with voodoo

try this, dunno of it works, i dont have an geforce

UT.INI
    [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
    DetailTextures=False > change True

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
    DetailTextures=False > True

shouldnt that work ?

6. L0sT(NDS)

L0sT(NDS) Human Swiss Army Knife

Dual texturing and precach

Dual texturing is a fancy term for UT's fake bumpmapping, basically, to make a map look better, UT can load the texture, then Load ANOTHER greyscale texture to kind of place on top of it to "bump map" the texture, or make it (sort of) look like it's not just a flat surface.

Precaching is the engine loading the level's textures into your video card's internal RAM so that it doesn't need to do such things at runtime, it can be a pain in the ass, but when you're not experiencing lag due to said loading while dodging a full six spread of eightball rockets, you can than your video card for precaching the textures.

//Commment:
    //PRECACHING