I might be off to jail.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
hope you dont go to jail man. the police just has no real opinions at the beggining but hopefully the trial will clear that thing.

and if you met them again be carefull they might be looking for you.

Burger

Lookin' down the iron-sights...
Aug 9, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Firstly, Well done. My tactics would've been
1) kick screwdriver-dude in the balls.
2) Run
Have you had any training in self defence?

Anyway, on a lighter note: At least you didn't react like Vincent in Collateral when his briefcase was taken by the thugs: Two in the chest, one in the head. :lol:

-Freshmeat

Eternally noob
Dec 4, 2003
Denmark
Visit site
Best of luck to you. I have been at Oslo central station a few of times, but I could never imagine such a thing happen there. I think that you'll at the very most get a 'betinget dom': If you do not do anything criminal for a period of time, you will not be convicted for this. I hope that the case will be closed soon, so you do not have to live with the uncertainty.

-Freshmeat (Just adding sympathy)

Nightmare

Only human
Sep 23, 2001
Finland
Visit site
Don't be surprised if the robbers' counsel accuses you of using excessive force against his poor misunderstood and maladjusted customers. It's not uncommon in our Scandinavian justice systems.

The best try I heard was the defense for some drugged-out idiot who had been arrested for illegal weapons, endangering the public and attempted murder. This guy freaked, pulled out a handgun and started shooting wildly in a park here in my home town. Our local police got under fire as they arrived, and didn't dare shoot back in fear of hitting something else. The crazy fled on foot, and as it happens he ran toward the police station where the veteran constable on dispatch duty decided to intervene. Imagine a 50-year old constable running down an armed man and clubbing him on the head with a pistol! It took two blows to take out this Rambo and he managed to make a 9mm hole through the constable's jacket on the way down.

And the defense counsel tries to make the police the bad ones in this scenario? Two blows on the head is called "excessive force" when the other guy is trying to shoot you? :eek:

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
Again, thanks for the support. My initial post is more or less a blueprint of my written statement to the police and it would seem it will be easy to back up my story if the police bothers to talk to some witnesses. But you'll never know. The more I think about it, the more I tend to lean towards Rostam's explaination.

Taque, if going to jail means I lose internet access, they might as well introduce the death penalty into our justice system again :p

And yes, Burger. I've had some years of martial arts training.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
Rostam said:
Zund, are you saying that you would have shot them both? You never really mentioned what you would have done, but I think shooting them in a situation like that isn't self defence making it attempted murder.

I'm not sure I would have shot either or both of them (a lot of variables that I just don't have data on). All I was saying is that under Colorado law I would have been legally justified in shooting at least the one with the screwdriver and depending on the other guy's reaction, both of them.

Based on the description of the scene I probably would have just had to display my firearm and those two idiots would have run away ... at worse I might have had to shoot the screwdriver wielding one at which point the other would probably run away (if he did, then I can't shoot him as he flees since he'd no longer be a threat).

Shooting both of them in that situation IS self defense (at least under Colorado law) because since they are two and I am one, that creates a disparity of force which is enough to authorize me to use lethal force to defend myself (add the screwdriver to the mix and I'm doublely covered).

Disclaimer: Laws surrounding self defense vary GREATLY between states and even cities here in the US (so when compared to laws in other countries there could be even further variation). ALWAYS know the laws where you live BEFORE you have to act on them (good idea to learn it now, as you probably won't have time to crack open a law book on the street).

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
In Metropolitan areas in general, the law tends to be if you fight, everybody goes down, victim or not. I hate this approach. It's simply much easier to resolve cases when you do'nt have to investigate them. You just punish without discretion. Your case is solid however. These guys have a criminal history. You're squeaky clean. You stayed with them and you didn't touch the weapon. You did the right thing to stand your ground until you were POSITIVE the threat was over. The only way you could lose this is if your lawyer blows nuts (figuratively).

And on a side note:
I know a guy who was in the same position as you and he ran the moment he landed a blow. Just turned and ran as fast as he could. The other guys caught him and beat him worse. He can't hear out of one ear. You stayed and got the job done which is how it should be!

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Yes the argument that you had a chance to run doesn't really hold up. If you can run fast then maybe but someone like me who never could run fast all I would be doing is putting my back to them and giving them a nice big target.

[C22]-Dragoon

Catch-22 Clan leader
Nov 12, 2003
Finland
www.c-22.org
Yeah Almost, seems its pretty much the same everywhere, you gotta take a few blows yourself to get somewhere with the police. Ofcourse I understand also their point of view that you were the unharmed and the other guy is in hospital. But anyway it sucks. Nobody from the other people that were there can back up your story?

I'll keep my thumbs up for you and hope the best. Remember you can feel lucky that you are still here, it could've gone worse. Again one thing to remind us to be happy for what we have, as it can allways go bad.

Hope it all turns good for you Almost!

[C22]-SpOOky

Inf Old-Timer
Oct 22, 2002
England
spooky.c-22.org
Good Luck m8

I can only second what Dragoon said

and also add
there are several types of jail. The prison where real criminals go to isn't the same as the place where folks for just a few months go

This is true to a degree, But atleast in the UK is not always the case, You have to take into concideration available space and location.

Plus Being in Jail is being in Jail .. Still the same loss of freedom and Speaking from experiance, Time is relative and after being in jail you have a better concept of exactly what that means ..Weeks tend to feel more like months.
So doing Time in a prison with lesser convicts is still doing time.

And sure you wont have "Queens" (Lifers) trying to find a Gimp for entertainment, But you still get *******s who have some kind of grandure thinking they are King of the Wing and wanting to show how hard n tuff they are.

Ofcourse Thats UK , Could be differant where you are ;)

Anyway, Id say Its Unlicky you will go to Jail, Like said already, Cops use Frighten tactics to extrac Info, And also to serve as a deterant
If you were in the UK Im pretty sure you Would get a CAUTION ( verbal recorded warning) Or a suspended Sentance :)

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
There's not much left to say that hasn't been said already so I'll just add this simile :tup: and join the get-a-lawyer singsong.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
Well look at the bright side. Your alive and unharmed. You defended yourself with justified force. Get a lawyer, and stick to your story. I don't know the law, but i have a feeling that if the other two were known trouble makers, the worst you'd probably be looking at realistically would be something like a fine, or public service or whatever.

The only thing that i'd be worried about is that these trouble makers might decided to take things to the next level when they get out or manage to avoid jail. :(

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
gg Almost. I'm always happy to hear stories of streetmuggers being knocked out. These money+cellphone thefts are happening so much where i live. I know exactly how you felt making the decision to either stand or run.

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
I took the advice from many and talked to a lawyer this morning. He tells me there is no way in hell I'm going to jail for this. And so my heart rate has dropped to something that might be considered normal :)

As far as I know, the incident is still in the investigation-stage and I haven't been charged with anything, which is good. Knowing how the police here work, being undermanned and underpaid, an investigation could take months and I'm still going to be a bit nervous until I get the final word that no charges will be brought against me. If anyone should go to jail for this, it's the guys who tried to rob me.

Edit : Yeah, I'm a bit worried that they might try to get back at me, especially if they are in one of the two major gangs in Oslo. However, I refuse to spend my time being afraid of someone and what they might try to do. Guns are not as easy to come by in this country as they are elsewhere, so an attack will most likely come in the form of a knife or similar. I think I'm as prepaired as I can be for something like that. It's "easier" to handle a knife at point blank than a gun, 20 meteres away. Not that there's anything easy about being attacked, with any form of weapon. It's out the question to start carrying a weapon myself though

Last edited by a moderator: