I just got GT3!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
Wrong section.
See, looking through off-topic and general forum at the same time always isn't the best of ideas. :p

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
1800 horse power? What are you driving? A f<b></b>ucking jet?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Pff, those cars are for freaks.
Real men drive a Suzuki Alto. :p
Not the 63 bhp version one starts with, but the 107 bhp I've got now :D
I've managed to win the lightweight-cup and the beginnerscup in that thing. :)

btw :
if you descive GT3 as a 'real drivingsimulator', then Counterstrike is a SWAT-simulator ...

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Bah, the Escudo can be a bitch if it goes to cornering - at least if you can't set it up properly..

I prefer the 787B(terrific engine sound) or just some Japanese GT car(did anyone mention Denso Sard Supra or Zexel GTR?), or the Corvette C5R - now that's a car..

Though nothing can beat the F1 cars on most courses, I'd been happier without them..

BTW: don't the cars behave quite 'real'? They're not perfect, but with ASM and TCS turned off and simulation tyres they do quite well.

BTW2: Hard? The hardest part until now was S-License test with the GT40 in Seattle - god I hate that track. Anything else was piece of cake..at least if you played GT1 and GT2..

Snakeye :D

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by Snakeye
BTW: don't the cars behave quite 'real'? They're not perfect, but with ASM and TCS turned off and simulation tyres they do quite well.
- no damage possible
- no crashes (while driving a rallycar it felt like a ceiling prevented the car from rolling over ...)
- ramming other cars seems to affect only your own speed ???
- if you hit a wall, then you instantly slow down

I'd never call something which doesn't allow you to enable these things a 'simulator'.

BTW2: Hard? The hardest part until now was S-License test with the GT40 in Seattle - god I hate that track. Anything else was piece of cake..at least if you played GT1 and GT2..
those license-tests are pretty difficult. I'm still trying to get the iA-license (need to succeed at the 1st test and the 'slalom'-tests)

Especially that awful way you get a 'failed'-result instead of if you hit the wall/outside of a curve even once. Only the rally-tests were a bit more forgiving.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Damage, or better the lack thereof, is of course the only real drawback of the GT series. I was just refering to how the car behaves on the road if you don't run into anything - how they take corners etc. If you take damage into account GT3 is of course unrealistic..

Also the AI of the computer drivers is rather weak - they drive as if you weren't on the road - but then I hardly have them in front of me..

As far as the license test go, I didn't find any of them - execpt the Special I mentioned before - very hard. Until iA I seldom needed more than 2-3 tries, most B licenses I got at the first try; and that though I had to get used to the new controller(I used the negcon for GT1 and GT2). I admit though, that having played through GT1 and GT2 license tests makes it probably easier(I even got all tests in GT1 on gold - though not in GT2 anymore..).

IIRC there are videos/demos of the license tests in the replay theater - they might make it easier for beginners.
Second thing is, that I find it easier driving in 3rd persons view(behind the car) since I have a better feeling for the car this way, but then it might only be me..

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
I think I should use a real steering wheel instead of that controller.
Especially the braking/accellerating is more controlled with such a thing.
With the PS2-controller I really need the tractioncontrol to prevent wheelspin at the start. (I know it's supposed to be an analog controller, yet it doesn't feel like one)

As for the cars behaving realistic, I don't have any real-life experience. It is believable, but simulation-quality ?

I thought the handbrake would allow you to make a controlled spin.
At least that's what NFS:pU allowed me to do on the PC.

// btw :
Are there any pc-steeringwheels compatible with the PS2 ?
It's too expensive to buy one for both, if one will do.

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
Porsche Unleashed is my current favorite driving simulator (yeah it deserves that title). :D

Could someone please explain to me how you could get 1800 horsepower out of a car?!

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
There's only one steering weel for GT3 - think it's a logitech force feedback or so. But IIRC it has USB connector, so it MIGHT work for PC too.
I'd buy a wheel too, but I never know where to put it, so I stick with the dualshock2 - which is quite good IMO. You don't have really analog throttle/breaks, but about full, half, none throttle/breaks, and that enough for me.

I still use TCS on all FF and FR/MR/RR vehicles though, since wheelspin is hardly controllable with the dualshock - AWD usually goes without TCS. Anyway I'm not sure if the wheel makes it better, but Keiichi has it, so if he reads this he might tell you..

I have 5 yrs experience with cars, though mostly everyday cars and not the supercars in GT. Me and I friend of mine(who owns an old Porsche 911RS) both say GT3 is mostly realistic - at least much better than GT2; GT2 was worse than GT1 if it goes to realsitic handling IMO. Some cars might tend a little bit more to oversteer(mostly the nervous MR cars) IRL, but then I never drove one IRL so it might also be the real handling.

So if I could change anything about GT3, I'd end up with 3 things:
- Damage(how about being able to die in a crash..)
- Better AI(so you don't die everytime a AI car runs into you..)
- Ability to race modify cars(as in GT1 and GT2; it can be done IRL so it should be in INF..uhm GT..)

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Wikkan:
No problem, just take a look at the Formula 1 turbo era. They had 1.5 or 2 liter engines but nearly 1000hp.

Assuming the Escudo has the 2.5 liter engine from GT3(some sources say it's a 2 liter V6 having the same hp..) 1800hp might be possible, though engine life would be far below 1000km - but for Pike's Peak this doesn't matter. Apart from that the 5 or 6 times the Escudo started at Pike's Peak 3 times it didn't finish due to technical problems.
In fact you can get most engines to nearly unbelieveable power, but you'll make it extremely nervous and unstable, plus the 1800hp are somewhere between 7000 and 8000 revs(or so), below the power is much lower. And just don't start to think about fuel consumption - which is a factor in endurance races.(though not in GT3..)

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
What?! No fuel in GT3? Thats a disgrace...

Thanks for the info on that turbo super jet car of doom. I suppose that answered my question. :D

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Leaves me wondering just what those pitstops are supposed to be used for ...

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Pit stops are because of tyre wear. And the wear is beyond anything I'd call realistic. Never ever enter a 3 lap race with tyre wear with super soft tyres - they're down after one lap. In fact I do not even know what they're there for - unless you count the no-tyre-wear-laps.

In fact you'll need medium/mediun-hard as soon as you want to go 5 laps without pitstop..

Maybe they add fuel consumption to GT4 or so; 24 hrs of LeMans(PS2) has it..