I just finished Unreal 2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Monster Kill

WOw, deep. I've learned that I love this game just as much as I love Unreal Tournament: GOTY and all the other great Unreal games. The ending was deep. I don't know why it got such a bad score on IGN and stuff. Basically, why did it get such a low score on IGN? And I wanted to say that it was deep but I've already done that like 10 times :)

Monster Kill

Yeah, it wasn't bad at all. The graphics were garbage (uggggh... aliasing) but then again, I'm playing the xbox version. I liked it as much as I like Unreal Championship. My friends all think it sucks too. I mean, the grenade launcher pwns all.

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
I'd say it wasn't great, but it was fun. I've actually finished it twice, on Normal and Hard difficulties (Aarrgghhh! Damned Angels!) And I got it for a great price in an Amazon Friday sale ($9.99, free shipping) back when it was still on shelves for $30. That just made it more fun. Then I discovered XMP, which more than made up for any perceived negatives of the single-player, in everybody's opinion.

XMP.Arc

+-aka Arcturus, HalcYoN, goBOT etc-+
GotBeer? said:
Then I discovered XMP, which more than made up for any perceived negatives of the single-player, in everybody's opinion.
XMP was the true gem..
my quick thoughts on unrealII- levels with liandri angels were incredible.. create your own defenses- hurry now. must admit graphics were top notch. perhaps another six to eight months developement on gameplay with inclusion of XMP would have made the difference.
sources indicate unfortunately legend did not have choice :(

]BERSERK[

[pet]mouse
Jul 13, 2004
perhaps another six to eight months developement on gameplay with inclusion of XMP would have made the difference.

Yep. :(

I bought unreal2 only for xmp, but i played it around 2 hours... it wasnt bad, good graphics and weapons but im really not a fan of solo FPS and i played it when i was begining to learn english, so i have no idea what they was talking about all the time... :eek:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I'd say the game was pretty good. The reason it didn't get very high scores was that, well, it wasn't Unreal.

Very few elements of the original returned. You had the Dispersion Pistol, and the Skaarj, and nearly everything else from the game was completely different. No Nali. No Na Pali. No Flak Cannon, no Eightball, etc.

If it were named something else, it probably would've sold very good, and it probably would've sold better if XMP were included like Legend seems to have planned. But without those, there simply wasn't enough "Unreal" in it - it was like reinventing the wheel (Tekken 4, anyone?) and it simply didn't pan out.

Unreal III, if Epic has those sort of smarts, will be probably something like what people wanted all along.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Lack of a cohesive/original story line and game being to short really detracted from Unreal 2. I think Legend rushed it, and the result was a bad HalfLife clone!
The player movement speed is too slow!

In its defence, some of the enviroments in it were awesome, (if only you got the chance to explore them!), The weapons were all well designed, as were the effects, and the Forcefield generators rocked!

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Yea, it did suck that U2 was a bit short, but dammit it was fun
The CAR is what the 2k4 AR should have been, and I'm hoping the 2k7 cannister gun is modelled off of the U2 nade launcher

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
The Jackal-XMP said:
LE was rushed by Atari. Atari wanted to get rid of them sooner. Unreal 2 could have been tons load more than what was released as a "half-game" game.

Damn, just like the Ultraviolet movie. If you've seen Equilibrium, you know Kurt Wimmer (the director of both movies) could've done better for Ultraviolet, but Screen Gems fired him off as movie editor. So the final movie was 80 minutes long, compared to the original 120 minutes, and the rating of the movie shifted from R to PG-13.

The Warden

this is usually where youll find me
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
Dark Pulse said:
I'd say the game was pretty good. The reason it didn't get very high scores was that, well, it wasn't Unreal.

Very few elements of the original returned. You had the Dispersion Pistol, and the Skaarj, and nearly everything else from the game was completely different. No Nali. No Na Pali. No Flak Cannon, no Eightball, etc.

If it were named something else, it probably would've sold very well, and it probably would've sold better if XMP were included like Legend seems to have planned. But without those, there simply wasn't enough "Unreal" in it.

here's the Deal people were looking for MORE Unreal, and got something ELSE.

Same thing happened with UT99 to UT2KX. But this is another story

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
I reckon the unreal unverse can be a place of many places, planets, races etc so i don't reckon not having Unreal 2 on Na pali made in not 'Unreal'!

What i definetly should have took from the Original unreal was free roaming gameplay! You only got to see glimpses of planets on each mission, were you should have tracked across the face face of that planet, uncovering its depths and mysteries! There should have hours of gamplay on each planet, and multiple routes and multiple locations on that planet!

To prove the games was seriously rushed, The N, The striders, and the Shian were axed from the game!

The Kai could have beeb replaced by Nali, as a servant race because they didn't do that much, and the Nali would have more connction with the original Unreal. The Inuit Corporation, or A prison ship should have definetly featured!

What was the point of the japanese mercs in this game
if they didn't : Speak Japanese
Have Cloaking CyberNinjas
Have Katana's
Have Mechs or Robots
Look like futuristic samurai
Have anything got to do with Japan!

Seriously, I didn't see the point of them being Japanese mercs if they weren't going to exploit the plot benefits of them being that!

Whitey

[pet]flamingo
Jul 1, 2005
dutch_gecko said:
U2 forced me to update my graphics drivers for the first time :eek:

Thus I owe a lot of my technical knowledge to U2. I learned many things about windows that day...
So I'm not alone?