1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I join my friends, and toast my 2400+. Ugh.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Keganator, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

Somehow my computer auto-non-stupid device just kicked in, and dropped my CPU temp from 55 (idle) to 47. Stupid crappy chinese mother... board.

And i thought i would never be beaten for ultimate case fan size until keg showed me his. This is what i had when my temp got avg 65:
    [​IMG]
    Apparently closing the case and adding some thermal compound to the cpu brought it down to 47.

2. TheShiningWizard

TheShiningWizard Because it's more fantastical.

The "huge fan blowing into the open case" technique doesn't work anywhere near as well as one might think. Having some well-positioned case fans in a closed case is generally the best way to go.

3. The_Fur

The_Fur Back in black

heh i tried that but the electric field produced by the huge fan i used started warping my screen so i figured that it was best not positioned near my case :D

4. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

I noticed that when I closed the case, installed some thermal paste, and put an intake fan on the front. A squirrel cage fan below the video card works nicely too.

Haha, thats what bothered me most! Until i got my comp on the ground, that is... I even considered buying that expensive magnetic sheilding. Putting my case around my monitor just didn't seem to cut it.

5. Keganator

Keganator White as Snow Moderator

Are you kidding? My Ultimate Cooling Solution dropped the old CPU's temperature down from 65* to 52* C.

And now, I think it's not the CPU, but rather the hard drive that's dying. Huzzah!

6. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

My computer just exploded in coolness. Its now down to 47*C. I hate Chinese thermistors.

7. TheShiningWizard

YSATCaseFans :p

8. Cleeus[JgKdo]

Cleeus[JgKdo] because respawns suck

That usually happens when you put new thermal compound on. I just reinstalled my HSF and got 55 *C (70 *C before) on full CPU load (XP2800+ Barton).

9. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

i was once told that the heatsink compound (the stuff that you remove the sticky tape to reveal on the heatsink) can only be used once, and once you remove the heatsink it acts as an insulator.

10. Cleeus[JgKdo]

I'm not sure, but i think you mean the pad thats glued to the heatsink when you buy it. Well, you can only use them once but thats not because the material changes its thermal behaviour but because the pad is deformed once its installed and cannot make up good contact between the die and the heatsink again. So you have to completly remove it (use alcohol >= 95%) and put on a new pad or paste. Paste usually is the better thermal conductor but it has to be refreshed from time to time (1-2 years) which means taking of the HSF, removing the paste, putting on new paste, putting on HSF.

11. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

well now i have the pad and the paste on at the same time. Do you mean to tell me that when i buy a new heatsink, i dont need to put paste on as well?

12. Cleeus[JgKdo]

Correct. pad and paste fullfill the same task - connecting the surface of the die with the surface of the heatsink. The pad, when pressed on the die addapts to the die and when the die heats up it gets a bit like chewing-gum and addapts even more.

Paste usually is a better heat conductor then the pads - I remove the pads when I buy a new heatsink. But you loose your warranty - AMD insists on pads.

But i hope you know that putting the paste on the die correctly is a tricky thing. it has to be very very thin but still has to cover the whole surface of the die. If you need more info, tell me.

13. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

thanks :) i know how to put on the paste correctly though; half a grain of rice and thin enough to see the color behind.

14. Keganator

Huzzah. Reinstalled everything today. New hard drive. Still havn't had things running long enough to know whether or not it's working yet. I'll find out over the next day or two. Otherwise, I may be off to get a new mobo. Whee! :con:

15. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Keg, what mobo do you have? I've got an old Abit KT7-RAID, which works fine with my old Tbird 1400MHz, but crashes repeatedly when I put any Athlon XP in it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  16. TheShiningWizard

That's a pretty old board. Perhaps it needs a BIOS update for the XP?

17. Nightmare

Nightmare Only human

Many of the old ones, such as the Abit KT7, just can't work with XPs.

My old Epox 8K3A+ works with XPs, but only T-bred cores up to 2600+, not the Bartons. Well, actually I've had it working with a 2700+ too, but they don't promise it'll work with it.

18. Keganator

It's a Gigabyte GA-7DXR patched with the latest bios, revision F10. Gigabyte claims he mobo supports up to the 266 mhz Athlon XP 2600+. A friend of mine has the GA-7DXR+, which is basically the same mobo except with USB 2 support, and he runs a 2400+ in it just fine.

I got Win XP installed on it now, all the service packs and critical updates, too. I havn't had time to stress test it yet, and won't have time until tomorrow or later, unfortunately. If I'm lucky I *might* be able to do it tonight.

19. Keganator

Grats! More testing reveals that the system still crashes under any strenuous task. Web surfing is fine, but as soon as I try to install new programs (like Warcraft 3) or run intensive programs (Like Lineage 2) it bombs back to the desktop.

So this leaves two things. 1) The CPU is a ****ty cpu. or 2) the mobo is having serious problems with it. Obviously, the CPU one is the easier solution to fix, but the new mobo is the more likely solution. Yay, off to find a new replacement mobo, just in case! ... sigh...

Edit: Yay, even internet explorer crashes after a short period of use.

A third option came to me: One of my three sticks of ram may dislike my cpu. That'd be the cheapest solution. I'll try that one tomorrow :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2004
  20. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

I used to have a GA-7DXR+, but after a while it just crapped out on me completely and refused to POST. Sent it back and replaced it with a GA-7N400Pro - no problems at all.

EDIT: Yeah, take as much RAM out as you can, and see what happens.