1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

i have failed! save my map?

Discussion in 'Map Ideas' started by Megatherium, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

so i started making this hyper-ambitious assault map a long time ago and at a certain point i basically hit the limits of UT99. it runs poorly in certain places (not due to easily fixable or obvious problems) and i was never able to get bot pathing to work because the paths are pretty complex and i've only done some basic DM pathing in my previous map (DM-Atol).

so, it's been months since i touched the map but in a stupor i opened it up last night and i decided that i need to release it in some form. not to toot my own horn but the artistic quality and concept go far beyond anything i've seen in UT (there very well may be other maps that blow mine out of the water but i haven't seen them yet). in any case, i want to release what i have pretty soon but i am giving any bot pathing gods that would like to take a look at it and consult/advise me on the topic of how to make it playable.

i suppose i should post a screen or something - but i'll have to do that later for i must go now.

2. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

here's a shot of the largest area in the level

Attached Files:

• emp.jpg
      emp.jpg
      File size:
      9.9 KB
      Views:
  3. XepptizZ

XepptizZ What are you lookin at...

Wow, that looks pretty amazing, and you didn't happen to use a lot of fog did you? Cuz that just chews up the framerate. UT certainly hs limitations, I know. I do think your lev looks a tad to dark, but it's nice and moody anyway.

I really try to finish it if I were you and there are alot of tricks to keep the fps up. Give more and clear pics and some more notes, or else I can't really help you with your problem.

I do hate it when people think their map is the best, cuz I've also been busy maping and thinkung it's great, but I do keep in mind there are a lot of styles and different preferences for other people.

Ya did kinda made up for it so don't take this to personal.

4. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

:( kinda , 'dark'

it looks like a Zelda mask , more that an arena on this pic

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  5. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

sorry about the screenshots, the level isn't really that dark. here's a couple more that might make the first one make sense.

so the idea was that it was an assault level that takes place on an enormous air-battleship. the area shown in the screens is outside, on the deck of the ship, the attackers eventually get inside and start sabotaging the thing. there were several areas within the ship that both the attackers and defenders can warp to from their teleportation rooms.

not only is botpathing this monstrosity very time consuming, even when the paths supposedly were working, the bots did not behave appropriately. for instance, when an objective would be completed, everyone except the bot that completed it would double-back and run back to the start of the level.

as for the performance of the level, the framerate is smooth except in certain indoor areas. now it's not like the framerate drops, it's that every couple seconds the frame freezes for a moment. smooth 30fps, freeze for half a second, smooth 30, freeze for half a second. it's even worse than a lower framerate because of how jerky and unplayable it makes it.

Attached Files:

6. XepptizZ

Hmm, I liked the first screenie. That fps freeze is weird IMO. Try running it without bots and see if it still does that. If it does then it ain't UT messing with the frames.

7. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

indeed, it runs fine without bots. i don't suppose there is a way to fix this problem?

also, i haven't used any fog in the level and i think i have zoned everything off pretty well (aside from the large outdoor area).

8. XepptizZ

Well, then it's not your fault and it's ut screwing up the flow. Just cross your fingers and hope it's better on other pc's

9. GTD-Carthage

GTD-Carthage SPMA

Nice shots man! But maybe in the skybox... I mean the burning city... maybe you should make the flames smaller because in reality, a cluster of skyscrapers can't burn from a single big fireball... maybe try placing more flames (sheets) or maybe you don't have to burn a cluster of buildings down because you can represent total chaos by just positioning a sheet behind the buildings and texturing it with a panning smoke.

10. XepptizZ

Consider makin a firetexture yourselfe, it's very EZ and can have greeat impact on your level. I'd say, make a small flame texure (preferably in your "MyLevel" package) and try to make the flame go quite sideways, so it'll look like one of those flames on top of a building.

And your flame is ALWAYS being used as a fireplace and that crosed my mind the first time I saw it.

There's a map called DM-OstinakaFire, in the russian mappack or somethin, wich has a very believable burning tower, very cool.

11. GTD-Carthage

GTD-Carthage SPMA

In more detail... the skyscrapers look too unrealistic being that the flame burns only on the bottom as if the skyscrapers aren't being scorched at all. Also, judging by the size of that texture, the flame would probably look unrealistic being that the heat rises fast there. It goes against the odds of gravity.

12. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

i actually do have a couple other sheets of fire in there, you just can't see them because it's a still frame. i am thinking about making my own texture because you are right, the fire burns a little too fast for being as far away as it is.

but i mean, is this even going to be worth it? i simply cannot bot path this thing and that frame freeze is really annoying.

13. GTD-Carthage

GTD-Carthage SPMA

Problems with both pathing? Your computer seems to be the problem there. Try uploading your map here or at UnrealPlayground as a Beta Map and have someone to do the pathing for you.

14. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

well that was actually my original plan for this topic ;)

i did not know you could submit maps here as beta maps... i guess i'll post it soon so you guys can take a look at it and see if it's screwing up on your comps too.

15. GTD-Carthage

GTD-Carthage SPMA

Just don't upload it on NC's main site. Add it here as an attachment if the size of your map isn't that big. If your map's size surpasses the limits of file attachments here in BU, then go to Unreal Playground. They've got the perfect Beta Testing area there.

16. Ntwarr

Ntwarr Slayer Blade

look out thats one dark map and i don't know what was with the zedla mask thing but ...

17. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

18. Megatherium

Megatherium New Member

nothing? no comments? i thought you guys cared :(

19. XepptizZ

I've played it and suspected more actually. Those teleporter style AS's aren't really my taste and the lighting isn't very good, architecturally not very stunning yet. I didn't encounter any lag or freezes by the way so just keep on mappin. I also once went through a teleporter and ended up the spaceships topside, wtf is a teleporter doing there? and why are there weapons on the topside of the ship? Think a little more logical and the flaming city isn't very convincing yet, but the idea is good.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  20. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

sorry