I hated this game

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KillStreak

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Sep 11, 2005
somewhere
Iam a big fan of all of the Tournaments, My favorite being 2k4, and I found this one to be very very slow paced. The characters move at half speed when compared to all the other tournaments and all of the guns have been extremely weakened, and fire slowly. The only thing I liked about the game were its graphics and the new melee feature. I think I would love this game if they fixed the weapons and mad all of the characters faster.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
It's a console game, if it were as fast paced as a PC game, anyone attempting to play this game would wind up pulling thier hair out of thier head after 15 mins.

It was slowed down for a very good reason, and Epic did the right thing in slowing it down.

Besides, with the new movement abilities and the new adren system, it makes the game seem much faster paced.

Last edited:

KillStreak

and all I got was
a pink username!
Sep 11, 2005
somewhere
they made it like halo..... slow.... The unreal tournament series has always been know for its fast pace so why would they remove that element? there wasnt a problem with it in Unreal Championship.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
There is NO WAY that you can consider it Halo slow... :con:

It's barely slower than 2k4, and if you get a bunch of people that REALLY know how to play the game together, good freaking luck using that excuse on them. Alot of the Melee and Adrenaline moves make the game VERY fast-paced and you get Adrenaline so much faster than in UT that you should have no problems with doing adren combos. On top of that, there are two fast-moving melee combos with each character, you just have to figure them out. The first one is always jump+attack.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I didn't think UC2 was slow at all, if anything it is twice as fast as UT2k4, and it is just as fun as UT2k4. I of course love UT2k4, but UC2 holds a special place in my heart too. :cool:

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
UC2 is FAAAAAST unless you're playing with absolute noobiness and refusing to wall jump, use adren, or.. well.. play it.

Not as fast as a hot CTF game tho...

ShredPrince

Sep 14, 2005
CTF-Omicron BONG
My biggest problem with this game is the noob friendlyness.
The lock-ons make it to wheremost of the online players don;t even shoot at all.They just lock on and jump attack over and over and over and ober and over.

Its really gay.I takes no skill.I play online with the lock ons turned off.Some of these idiots will join and as soonas they realize the lock-ons are turned off they chicken out and leave the game.Of course thats how about 90% of XBL gamers behave so I guess I should'nt be suprised.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Meh lockon nothing. If you have any skill, it doesn't matter that the noobs are launching themselves all over the map (and off cliffs I might add).

ShredPrince

Sep 14, 2005
CTF-Omicron BONG
True..I love how most people assume it's cause I get beaten from lock ons or something.All it does is ruin godlikes and junk for me.I still pop a-holes out of the air all the time, but those same a-holes ge kills they normally would'nt get.You can still do all of the melle kills w/o lock-ons.It only takes away the fatalities.So it makes the game far more skill based IMO.

KillStreak

and all I got was
a pink username!
Sep 11, 2005
somewhere
If you thought this game is faster than 2k4 then your playing on a comp that constantly lags. Yes I know this is a completely different game from all the other unreals but it doesnt feel like unreal to me. Sure you can wall jump multiple times and use adrenaline out the ass unlike UT 2k4 but all the weapons feel watered down and all the character models are huge. If they just made the weapons stronger This game would feel more like a UT game to me. Im starting to like the game now that ive played it a bit more but it still doesnt feel the same. Oh yea the Skaarj have the worst animations I dont think the 3d animator showed em a whole lot of love.

Turret 49

Doomer at heart
Jun 26, 2004
KillStreak said:
If you thought this game is faster than 2k4 then your playing on a comp that constantly lags.

:stupid:

Learn to jump a lot, it's a lot faster than walking :biggrin2:

And you don't thing the jump attack is fast? :eek: you can jump a quarter of a level just by using it :lol:

KillStreak

and all I got was
a pink username!
Sep 11, 2005
somewhere
also the jump is just like the jump in all the tournaments the usaul double jump it doesnt get you anywhere near as fast as you could in 2k4 and as for the jump attack luanching you across half the map well to be honest its stupid as hell.

Last edited:

cocito

over cometed to a GAME
Apr 6, 2005
Knoxville, TN
i dont find it stupid the jump attack helps more than hurts gameplay most of the ctf maps are long so running from base to base would take forever the characters arent big u must be using the 3 health 0 agility characters

ShredPrince

Sep 14, 2005
CTF-Omicron BONG
OK......how about this:

Anybody wanna play me to see what I mean?

PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't give a flying f*ck what abitities any character has.Nor do I care about the addition of the Jump attack or pounce.They are pretty damn cool if you ask me.WHAT I DISLIKE: The fact the with the lock-ons enabled, the melle requires little to no skill.It is very easy for the casual gamer to pick this up and become a force to be reckoned with after playing the game for like 2 hrs.

Now if you just simply turn off the lock-ons it TOTALLY changes everything.All of a sudden it's basically the same game, only it requires more skills to be successful.You can still use the jump attack for CTF(translocator repalacer), You can still pounce and reject.The only thing that changes is you have to have the skills to keep your opponent on screen, kinda like UT, you know.

I see the melee as a combonation of the Shield gun and translocator, with some added offensive abitities.With this in mind, could you lock on to an opponent in UT04 with your shied gun, or any other weapon for that matter? NO!!! It is almost as hard to keep players on screen in UT04 as it is in UC2, if not harder.So I must contest that this is put in the game for noobs who cannot play in general.

The surefire test: I frequently host online games, and nobody stays for very long.I host dedicateds, and host some that I'll play in.Very few join, and when they do, they'll realize the lock-ons are off and then they leave.The ones who don't, minus about two players, just jump around aimlessly trying to pounce people w/o their lockon.It's pathetic how much most people suck W/o the lock-ons.

There is also a whole style of play that comes with lockons.It's what I call the "Flying stlye".I have learned to play this way as well, but I feel like a cheap ass noob when doing it.All they do is jump, hold R, and look for a target by tapping the lock on stick.Then they just unleash.You'll see alot of heavy characters using this style.While its true you can shoot a noob out of the air easily, once anybody figues out that you can jump off of walls and do JA's infinatly, they become really hard to hit.

The successfulness of this style of play is out the window when lock ons are off.So it forces player to have SKILLZ to use melee.My buddy and I play like this offline all the time.We have some of the most amazing games I've ever seen in a Unreal game.We used to play with lock ons, and had good games like that too, but it's totally different.I's like whos more lucky on some jump attack gayness.

For the easily confused:Lock ons being turned off does not do away with melee.You can still reap all of the benefits, minus the coup de grace, but only if you have skill.

Turret 49

Doomer at heart
Jun 26, 2004
Actually, I don't need lock on to be good at melee, because I can easily jump over to someone and slash them to pieces with strong attacks and normal. People who have to lock on just to use melee are pretty weak IMO. Normal melee attacks hit everyone in a 360 degree radius around you anyway :rolleyes:

P.S. Despite what you said, it's easy for me to keep people on the screen :)

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
I think the lock on for melee is pretty intuitive. If both people are using it, then it comes down to attack timing.
Tracking someone with a control pad just isn't very easy (at quarters close enough for melee anyway), especially when they can strafe and dodge around you quicker than you can track them.

I've tried upping the sensitivity, but it's too skippy at high levels, and I lose track of what I'm looking at anyway because of that. (especially if I scan over long views; just like UT2k4, that's when the fps dip)

Anyway, I might just suck, since I'm so used to PC fps', but I don't have Live and I'm not sure I mind... I'd rather not get the noob comments, which it sounds like I would from reading some comments here, just like those "Link noob" comments in UT2k4.

Anyway, I think it's there for a reason. Plus, it's needed to do a Coup De Gras move.
If you are so good you don't need it, then don't use it, and don't complain when others do. It's not an aimbot, it's just a tracking assistant. It's needed for such a fast chaotic game if you ask me.

rant over.
________
Vickie cam

Last edited:

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
The lock-on was put there so that people could actually play the game, instead of picking it up, finding it too hard then putting it down again. So yeah, it *is* for 'noobs'

And? So people get good at the game quickly by using one feature? It's a console game, not meant to have too much depth. Just counteract them..

KillStreak

and all I got was
a pink username!
Sep 11, 2005
somewhere
i dont see how its for noobs even with the lock on. you can still miss even with a lock on if your opponent is playing it smart.