I Hate The Acog So Much!!@!@!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ANUBIS199

Jun 3, 2001
Visit site
I know the damn things will never be removed from INF and I know alot of people like them, but I just cant stand them. They destroy alot of the fun in INF for me, they dont force people to play a dedicated sniper. I just needed to get this out, I hate those damn things. Does anyone else agree with me? Force snipers to be snipers man, if you have a weakness you will be more willing to work with teammates.

ANUBIS

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
YEA! I too hate ACOGS. They totally cheapen and ruin the feel of INF. Right now you can perfetly well get away with playing INF as a traditional shooter where you have a crosshair, which just plain sucks

ANUBIS199

Jun 3, 2001
Visit site
Its not even the movent issue, I can never have a good fire fight where two teams are hiding behind some cover and peaking out to fire because the damn people with ACOGS can pop you the moment you stick your head out. Though you can do that without the scope its harder by a fair degree.

ANUBIS

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Why does the fact that you have a small scope on your rifle make you a "Sniper". In the British Army EVERY infantry soldier has a saml scope on his gun. True it doesn't have a cross hair, just an illuminated pointer, but its a big improvement to marksmanship over extended ranges.

I use an ACOG'd M16 (only because you don't have an L85 in game yet), and to be honest I'd say I'm probably at a disadvantage to an open sights user due to the extream close range of combat in INF. Of course I suppose moving around and generally playing like a real infantry soldier probably isn't helping :rolleyes:

No one should really be moving faster than a walk with a rifle aimed. Its uncomfortable, tiring and totally uncontrolled. Personally I think all weapons should be hipped when moving at more than a walk, posibly allow aimed jogging but at greater stamina loss. Not going to help me though. By the time I've seen a target, stopped and got the rifle into the aim, he's hosed me down with his silenced SMG from the hip.

Small scopes are a fact of life on the modern battlefield, that are just going to have to be coped with.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
the problem is

A) the scopes don't use the free-aim
B) they have no paralax leading to a (still) unrealistic advantage in acquiring the target

No one should really be moving faster than a walk with a rifle aimed. Its uncomfortable, tiring and totally uncontrolled.

And then there is this, some people seem to think they can aim perfectly trough a scope while moving at jog speed.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
I use an ACOG on large or dark maps.

I do NOT think this makes me a sniper or even a marksman (if you've been on the recieving end of my attempted shooting, you will definitely agree).

Since I've been playing only really on RA servers, I am a lot happier about ACOG's in the game. They are not the advantage they used to be. They let you see a bit better in the dark and aim a bit better at range but that's it. Nothing disproportionate.

BrownCow

I Heart Gnat.
Jun 18, 2000
First off, if you are playing an open map and you are walking around w/o an acog getting into long range fire fights you deserve to die. I use a sig with iron sites and there are things i know i just can't do! If you walk in the open be prepared to be killed by someone with a scope. It is just how it is and how it should be.

Second, if the guy is running with the acog then he is at a very sever disadvantage and killing him shouldn't be a problem. If he happens to kill you then just accept it and be more careful next time. I've honestly not seen this in forever. But using a scope period already ruins your viewing area, and running at the same time only kills your ability to know where you and your opponent are.

I don't die that often from acog users because i know not to get in a situation where they would be at an advantage. I really could care less what they do with acogs, i don't use them and they have never bothered me. It's just that people that use them on maps like peru and siberia are bascially admitting to not being able to play w/o a crosshair because there is absolutly no need for a scope on a map like that. Even Sicily is pushing it. I have no problem firing accuratly across the map with iron sites. Until you are able to do that i guess you use acog. But it is your fault if you get into a situation like that and die to an acog user. You are walking into their fun zone.

Aequi

ballistically challenged
Apr 23, 2001
Denmark, duh
Visit site
I play with a Sig+Acog+5clips+nades, but because of that i can only move around with my weapon at the hip, which leads me into a few sitiuations where i feel at disadvantage...

1) incounter while on the move (hip)
...i'm getting better and better at landing my burst fire from the hip, but it sure as hell isn't easy yet. Though sometimes if the other guy is Acog also, its a showdown of "who draws the fastest" a crouch, bring up scope, aim, fire contest.

2) The scope limits my vision to my surroundings, a bit of info i treasure in my pistol loadout.

The advantage as i see it, is NOT the crosshair, i pretty sure you could take away the cross within the scopes with no impact to accuracy...

The advantage i treasure the most is the fact that my weapon isn't blocking my aim and the added ability to ID my target as friendly or not - if you played on Smoerbles server you know why :)

My biggest issue with some of the guns, is the fact that when i aim a unscoped weapon at a person, i can no longer see the person that i am aiming at - which to a degree explains why my most used loadouts are a scoped sig and a pistol-only.

Teufel Eldritch

The Devil's Own
Jul 17, 2001
Edmonds(Seattle), WA., USA
Visit site
I use the scope only when Im still or Im moving real slow. Like I will use it when I lean and stuff. I also refuse to use a scope with the 203. This puts me at a disadvantage but its a choice I myself make. Its a honor thing for me. Not a warfare honor thing rather a game honor thing. If I were to use it in any other manner I would feel as if I was doing something wrong in regard to fair, honest and accurate to real life gameplay. Inf is trying to be realistic, where Inf fails I try to make up for. I wont use exploits and thats just how I see it.

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
Funny how there is a hater for (almost) every weapon
-Anubis for ACOG
-Countess for Shotty (he says it require no skill :rolleyes: )
-FAMAS considered as spray and pray by some
-People bitching about the lack of recoil on the MP5
-P90 being a n00b run'n'gun weapon
-Everyone bitching as soon as an AKMSU appears
-and so on

What counts is the player, not the weapon ... Remove P90, and people will just adapt their spray'n'pary tactic to the sig or m16... I have seen people use the AK or P90 in a very pleasant and by-the-book way .... ;)

G-Fresh

Red
Aug 6, 2001
Western Mancunia
I don't hate any weapon in the game, it is illogical to do so, it's the way people (unfortunately, most people on public servers) use the weapons that I hate.

Feb 26, 2001
England
Originally posted by ANUBIS199
they dont force people to play a dedicated sniper.
ANUBIS

You mean because a scoped AR can also be used for close range attacks (by the hip)?

Hip shooting is way too accurate, I can still aim fairly accuratly from the hip at a resonable distance. I only ever used a scoped rifle when I want to snipe (an m16 w/ ACOG makes a good sniper rifle at shorter ranges).

IRL would someone with a scoped m16 + ACOG switch to another weapon (pistol, not a unscoped sig 551 backup :)) if they were likely to come into close contact with enemys?

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Re: Re: I Hate The Acog So Much!!@!@!

Originally posted by -Snakebite-

IRL would someone with a scoped m16 + ACOG switch to another weapon (pistol, not a unscoped sig 551 backup :)) if they were likely to come into close contact with enemys?

Nope.
First you wouldn't have a backup weapon, usually. Secondly a close range you tend to have both eyes open and aim over the scope, not through it.

Never had any problem with my L85 conducting FIBUA with its SUSAT.

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
I don't hate any weapon in the game, it is illogical to do so, it's the way people (unfortunately, most people on public servers) use the weapons that I hate.

G-FRESH, although you're from Manchester, and consequently a rosbif, you're a nice guy :D

BrownCow

I Heart Gnat.
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by Aequi
nice to know that no one hates the DE :rolleyes:

No, but they somehow come up with the speed of the player when you use a DE only loadout to be an advantage.. But they don't know what they are talking about.