1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I Am Cliff Bleszinski

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Sep 15, 2012.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Cliff Bleszinzki hangs out at Reddit for a bit of Q&A answering just about anything. Here he goes into detail about what an Unreal reboot might look like and what might have happened to Unreal Tournament:

2. gopostal

gopostal Active Member

We certainly hope so.

When you do I hope you are pleasantly surprised that a lot of us are still there keeping the place spruced up and ready for vacationing gamers.

Seriously, you have a ready made talent pool just crying to help. With some mild organization there would be a literal army of volunteers, most long term devs, who would work their asses off for nothing just to get something done. Need an asset? You'll have it tonight. Need some code? Four people are on it, pick the one you like the best. I can promise you that there is serious talent that would sign up to help for nothing more in return than to have their screen name added to a credit list.

I still run a coop server, I still play in Na Pali, and it's still damn fun even after all these years. Skyrim directly owes it's legacy to games like Unreal and to reboot the series would be great, both gameplay-wise and financially.

Thank you for this hal, it made my weekend.

3. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

I awlays saw a next Unreal with a bit of RPG elements. Basically, should I ever become a game designer (wich is rather unlikely) and get the chance to make my game, then it would be like Unreal, where you are stranded on a planet and must explore to survive. Unreal was never about action for me, but the adventure and exploration. The game would be mission based (where you constantly push forward and travel forth), but within the mission there would be a sandbox approach, so there would be alot to do and explore (and necessary to proceed). RPG elements would include the need to eat and drink (so you must find food and water and carry food supplies with you), time to rest and managing your inventory (keeping things you need, removing stuff you don't need).
    You could call it a mission-sandbox-hybrid action adventure RPG.

I doubt they'd come and ask the community for help. Such a loyal community as this is fascinating and scary at the same time. They give you all the love and the next day they want to kill you. Fans = psychos. The definition of madness. If I were a dev, I'd stay the hell away from those freaks.

And I still can't join it.

I most certainly have learned today something, that naivety within myself did not vanish completely. I still dream about a good Unreal sequel and this thread made me feel a bit better.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  4. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

Hal, you quoted the exact post that makes me want to bitchslap Cliffy

5. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

Wow he likes Silent Hill 2. Wouldn't mind also a sandbox-style Unreal game.
    Good stuff.

6. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I thought this quote was interesting.

7. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

If you took the 'dudebro' out of Gears, there wouldn't be much left.

8. Vaginal Epiphany

Vaginal Epiphany New Member

I find that sentiment to be extremely hard to believe.

9. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

:lol: True. :lol:

I find this quote interesting:

No kidding.

10. Capt.Toilet

Capt.Toilet Good news everyone!

Oh shut up mister 8/10

11. dr.flay

dr.flay Dr.Flay™

We already have plenty of what people are looking for in game, as various mods.
    If you include the melee system from ChaosUT with Druid's RPG mutator, you have a very comfortable and fluid RPG vibe.
    I don't play traditional RPG games, and the thought of having to do "the grind" and muck about with buying and selling everything gives me the horrors.

In the future Unreal Universe it could take your pre-existing game-stats and convert them into whatever the new experience points are.
    All those kills and awards, you've collected over the years could finally be converted into something useful than flashy sigs.

I may not play RPGs, but Fallout 3 did turn my head, and I love a good single player game/mission, so I am aware of how important the progression factor is.
    Druid's RPG is a good model for Unreal to follow, as the player can have a skills-tree and growing abilities, without ever thinking about it most of the time.
    This combined with the races/classes we already have, and enforcing their stats for players (again like existing mutators) immediately give a depth of variety modern online gamers want.

Imagine a vast Unreal RPG MUG with the ability to pickup items littered about (JunkWars) and create an oversized mortar, by filling a trash-can with a grenade and lots of deadly pointy stuff (Fallout 3), and using magic on either any of the contents, or the whole thing (Druid's RPG).
    Ahhh, you could have a "piercing trash-mortar of infinite sturdiness".
    Or what about using magic on vehicles!? That would be something new.

What about that for "Sci-Rym" ?
    Hell I already shoot dragons out of the sky with tanks in 2K4 !

12. Arnox

Arnox UT99/2004 Mod Crazy

A bit? :lol:

IMAO, A new Unreal should feel, well, Unreal. It should be like exploring a sci-fi dreamworld, having equal parts Sci-fi and Fantasy. Also, I don't agree with a leveling system. I feel it would just be baggage to me. It's just, I don't think it would fit in a FPS such as Unreal. I believe it would just turn into a Borderlands copy.

BTW, the perfect tagline for an Unreal reboot/sequel:
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  13. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

Well, that's very nice to hear. Good that Cliff has not forgotten the Unreal roots, ans most of his ideas are pretty nice.

But no reboots, please. If you need a reboot, then you're doing it very wrong, especially since there's not a whole lot of things that warrant one in the Unreal universe.

14. UBerserker

Pretty sure Cliff never mentioned RPG elements other than the sandbox idea

Though if there would be RPG elements and a skill that would let you train Nali war cows then I'm fucking sold. Or could just get modded in.

15. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

:D

Chaos UT always rocked in all it's versions.

Sandbox UT? Interesting; but wasn't it sort of done with Rage? (Don't ask me I haven't played Rage yet).

16. UBerserker

Somewhat
    however they'll probably take the Skyrim/Fallout route. Unreal was about exploration, not missions. Plus, early in the development cycle Unreal was supposed to have a Hub system and was more like an adventure game, you did more rather than just shooting. The project was becoming too complex and they decided to change ideas - some for the worse, some for the better.

17. 213

213 New Member

He fucking haaaates the entire Unreal franchise. This whole "it's cool to hate Unreal" trend, it started with that Cliffy Butthurt guy.

Jazz Jackrabbit really does have a better chance of getting a reboot than Unreal or UT does.

18. dinwitty

dinwitty DeRegistered User

there wasnt much character development in Unreal, but you had a weapon development and a progressive eluding storyline.

UT has had a progressed storyline directly from Unreal (call it 2 different games)
    what you can do is merge where the UT3 storyline is at and make that Unreal 3.
    Then sidebar the MP like unreal was.

19. UnrealGrrl

UnrealGrrl Enemy flag carrier is Her!

funny how reading alot of the interview is like reading 4 year old posts from here about unreal/ut3 etc. :p mostly good, just a lil late to the party :)

hiya dw ;)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  20. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Not exactly optimistic...

Epic not being in touch with their Unreal fanbase? Surely you can't be serious :eek:

I tend to take anything Epic - especially CliffyB - says about Unreal with a pinch (read: shovel-full) of salt. I just don't buy it any more. Gears was their cash-cow, and they made a concious decision to burn PC gamers, especially Unreal gamers who'd stuck by them even through the whole console-soaked UT200x fiasco. They got what they wanted and made a ton of cash, and burned pretty much every bridge with their original fanbase on the PC.

I'd love to see a new Unreal game, singleplayer or multiplayer, but I just don't see it happening as Epic simply don't have the drive to do it. They don't want to make another Unreal. Until that changes, we'll have nowhere to go.