human only arenas?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
yuck. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, i just don't like it.
What is the reasoning behind it? The only advantage that I can see so far is that it allows for complexity in the arena that only a human could understand. But ugh I don't care really, i'd prefer better bot support in the existing arenas rather then human exclusive arenas.

People mapping for jailbreak might just flick the flag "human only arena" because they can't be stuffed to add bot support to the arena. Sure it is a real n00b thing to do and I know those on the actual team wouldn't do it, but imo you really are asking for it to happen by including an option like that.

Again, I don't think it's a bad idea, I just don't like it. Please give me some reasons to like it.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
There are things bots just can't be good at. In out test map there's an example challenge arena where you are supposed to boost-slam a Scorpion into a target to win. How would you tell bots to do that?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
It really depends on the mapper and how he sets up the arena fights. The test map I mentioned chains arena schedule attempts - if the regular 2on2/1on1 (T)DM arena fails because one team does not have any prisoners, it tries to launch the scorpion target boost challenge arena. But again: that's how this test map is set up. Other maps can handle it completely different, it's just a matter of creative Kismet scripting.

TheIronKnuckle

OHHH! :D I get it. When you say human-only are you saying single-player? So instead of fighting someone you have to solve a puzzle or something single-playerish like an obstacle course.
That's not bad at all. I like that.

but i've probably misinterpretted again :p

but that's awesome. So if i get you all right, what happens is, if there is only one prisoner currently in jail. and everyone else is still free, a human-only-single-player challenge will launch. Kind of like the escape routes except made formal?

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
No, they mean an arena that bots are not capable of handling in a practical sense. However, in any case of this happening, the map will/should always have a second arena which bots CAN handle.

TheIronKnuckle

That's what I thought when i first heard it. Isn't it just a way of making escape routes more formal?
In any case, any worries I had previously about this human only thing have been averted. As long as every map that includes human only arenas also includes bot arenas I'll be a happy customer. Is there a donations page? :lol:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Isn't that an escape route...? ;)

Well, you could consider it a "structured" escape. It really works like an arena fight, except that your opponents are the clock and the arena itself.
The usual escape routes are available as well, of course. (Though we still don't have a working escape route in any of the maps yet.) Unlike single-team arena fights, real escape routes may award an assist bonus to every player assisting someone else in an escape, provided the escape is successful.