UE3 - UDK Huge Question!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
Hi, so recently I picked up the UDK and have been playing around with it and getting kind of serious (that sounded weird). My problem/ concern is this....

When creating a game environment that takes place in a fully natural organic environment, yet is filled with architecture, and needs to be very interactive so the player can climb all over it, what should the environment be made of?

When creating large surfaces using the geometry brush tool eventually the editor gets very heavy. So should I rely on using brushes to create architecture or rely on using imported 3D models?

So far I have been using the brushes, it's easy, and when you import special brush shapes you can create complex surfaces, however I am not sure what works better.

Please advise me!:):)

Edit: Why...do I feel this should be in the mapping section......

Last edited:

Hakamitokage

Oct 2, 2008
You're going to want to use static meshes for that. Get yourself into 3DSMax or Maya and start modeling!

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
You're going to want to use static meshes for that. Get yourself into 3DSMax or Maya and start modeling!

Thank you so much for replying to my thread.:D

I'll do this...I've been wanting to get 3DSMax but I haven't had the money....now that I do...I need to figure out how to get it online.:D

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
It entirely depends on what you're intending to build, but when you're going towards a more final looking level or environment, you'll want to get rid of BSP entirely to make things look good. Typically BSP is only used to figure out the spacing of your level and quickly do a mock-up of it to see if it'd be good.

That said, you could also stick to BSP and go for a more simplified look like what HOLP does.

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
It entirely depends on what you're intending to build, but when you're going towards a more final looking level or environment, you'll want to get rid of BSP entirely to make things look good. Typically BSP is only used to figure out the spacing of your level and quickly do a mock-up of it to see if it'd be good.

That said, you could also stick to BSP and go for a more simplified look like what HOLP does.

Yes sticking to BSP gives it that pretty yet simplified look like the temples from ICO and SOTC.

I think I will use BSP to create rooms and then fill them.

Hakamitokage

Oct 2, 2008
Blender is a good 3D-modeling program to use if you can't afford Max/Maya and/or don't have access to an educational version, BTW.

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
Blender is a good 3D-modeling program to use if you can't afford Max/Maya and/or don't have access to an educational version, BTW.

I've tried blender....it's sooo...not user friendly.

I feel really constricted, also I have gotten used to Metasequoia...however I'm not sure how far that will get me.:(

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Thank you so much for replying to my thread.:D

I'll do this...I've been wanting to get 3DSMax but I haven't had the money....now that I do...I need to figure out how to get it online.:D

Well, you could use Blender 2.48b for free (although I know they're probably at a higher version now), since that what I'm trying to use. Although it will take more of a learning curve than 3DS Max or Maya will, it is still a supported tool for UDK/UT3 mapping. Just thought you'd know that you don't have to cough up $5K to get into 3D Modeling.

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
Well, you could use Blender 2.48b for free (although I know they're probably at a higher version now), since that what I'm trying to use. Although it will take more of a learning curve than 3DS Max or Maya will, it is still a supported tool for UDK/UT3 mapping. Just thought you'd know that you don't have to cough up $5K to get into 3D Modeling.

Ya....I don't understand what it is about Blender, it's very powerful and has tons of features (a scary amount of buttons to look at) but it's just so awkward, I guess once you continue to use the program you become skilled at it.:)

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Yeah, how very true. Up until I get a full grasp on custom static meshes in there, I'm just going into the properties of stock meshes and slapping custom materials on those for now. It's gonna take more time to learn Blender than you and I think it will.
Although 3D Buzz may have tutorials on 3ds Max, I don't really see them doing any tutorials on Blender any time soon, although on YouTube, there are plenty of good tutorials, but most are more difficult to follow.

Last edited:

Odedge

Keeper of Tutorials
May 26, 2009
www.odedge.com
I tried Blender 2.49 (lastest stable release) and it I was able to make some basic static meshes and get them in game (with a collision box and multiple materials). And yes, it's a bit odd (though I haven't really used other modeling programs).

Since you need some experience with making custom textures, I decided to learn that first (which I can always use on BSP).

Keep in mind that the Blender Foundation is in the process of doing a major update to the program, especially the UI/layout. It looks way better and makes way more sense. It's currently in beta (which you can download), but I am not sure if it supports exporting to .ase yet.

On my site, I have a section dedicated to Blender and UT 3, for what it's worth. I will try and update it once 2.5? comes out and I get back up to speed with it.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
I'd suggest that you try learning 3DS Max or Maya. They are both really powerful and flexible 3D modeling tools. Been using 3DS Max since I was like 14 years old.