HUD Damage Indicator

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How would you like UT2007 to handle the HUD damage indicator?

• Full screen flashes (like UT99)

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Heavy hit recovery (like UT99)

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Directional arrows near edge (like UT2k4)

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Directional arrows near center (like Half-Life)

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Option to toggle these features on/off as we see fit

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • Blur screen when hit (Like Pariah)

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
Am I the only person here who doesn't like the directional damage indicators in UT2004? The way I see it there are two problems...

1) I forgot all about them until recently.....which means they aren't helpful at all.

2) I never get the feeling like I just got pounded super hard no matter how red they flash meaning I never really get that urgency of "holy crap something really hit me HARD!"

I know some people didn't like it but in UT99 you KNEW when someone was hitting and and whether it was massive damage or not. Now I realize that UT99 didn't show direction but at least I found it helpful in letting me know...."Hey dumbass! Some dude is fragging your ass!!!!"

I even liked the fact that when you got hit REALLY hard your view shook a bit as you literally "recovered" from the crushing blow.

What would you like to see in UT2007?

(You can pick more than one option so have at it!)

Last edited:

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Its what they did in UC2, so that probably a good indicator of what will be in UT2k7. Too much heavy distortion will cause noobs to be slaughtered at their first go, probably discourage them away!

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
never mind that all the wannabe-pro's will complain about how those flashes are soo distracting ...

I'd say the ultimate solution is a combination of arrows and flashes that change in size depending on distance/power of the attack.

Perhaps the hit-indicator should be more like the 'sound/activity-radar' in Ghost Recon 1.
ghostrecon3.jpg

Whatever solution is picked ... I just hope players can't disable the blinding-effects, because knowing that hitting a player also blinds them is an advantage I'd like to keep.

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
JaFO said:
Whatever solution is picked ... I just hope players can't disable the blinding-effects, because knowing that hitting a player also blinds them is an advantage I'd like to keep.
in pariah, you could disable all the blur effects (like when you heal yourself). but well, it's pariah... :lol:
i like how UT2004 damage "locator" works, i'd like to have it back but improved to make it more... unreal :D

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
IMHO the UT2004 way is the best as it doesn't distract while it still clearly signals a hit. An option to turn it off may be useful to those who still find it being distracting.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
JaFO said:
never mind that all the wannabe-pro's will complain about how those flashes are soo distracting ...

I'd say the ultimate solution is a combination of arrows and flashes that change in size depending on distance/power of the attack.

Perhaps the hit-indicator should be more like the 'sound/activity-radar' in Ghost Recon 1.
ghostrecon3.jpg

Well if the screen is going to be blurred, make it VERY brief! This feature could hurt noobs alot more than wannabe Pro's esp if you get shock rifled from afar , and before you can see were to respond, your sniped or shocked again and again, DEATH! That would be no fun after just picking up the game

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
I don't even notice the screenflash in 2k4. In UT it was not all that distracting, but it gave you the sense of being hurt. When you tool a lot of damage, you would shake more and really think "ow!" I like it. It increases the sense of immersion.

soyrico

Apr 2, 2000
Visit site
maybe the volume of charactors voice once he/she feels it like if it's weak it might be a oh! :stick: but if it REALY hurt it would be a AAHHHH!!!!!
:instagib:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
nuttella said:
I don't even notice the screenflash in 2k4. In UT it was not all that distracting, but it gave you the sense of being hurt. When you tool a lot of damage, you would shake more and really think "ow!" I like it. It increases the sense of immersion.

Exactly....you summed up my thoughts quite nicely.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I hate it in 2kx, I hate it, I hate it. I don't care if it blinds me for a sec. I like being able to gauge how much damage I've taken as I take it, and again, not have to keep my nose in the hud. One of these days if they get stuff like this right, I'll be able to play without a hud.

I can't tell you how many times I get quadruple beamed, double bolted, or headshot, and not realize it until it's way too late. Or the infamous "right before the rocket hits you, somone bolts you."

UT2004 Screen Flashes: Joke

2k4screenflash.jpg

UnrealTournament Screen Flashes: Useful, and yet somehow, non-obstructive IMO.

utscreenflash.jpg

I can still see through that, and that shot it taken from a video where I kill my assailant, through that. I've also done it to the same guy, after he jacked me up in the air with 3 rox, binded as hell, and turned and shot him from mid air, knowing he'd have another rocket awaiting me if I didn't.

I want that option at least, I don't care if my opponent is blinded or not. I usually deal damage so fast anyway, he can suffer my 2k4 fate, and cry "BS you didn't hit me with that much" until his eyes fall out. Only difference is, I know the BS isn't how much damage I took, so I cry out "F#@$ing Bu££ $h!t screen flashes !@#$%^&&**^@$^#@^$#@^!!11!!1one1!"

...and when he cries BS, I'll tell him "turn on your screen flashes."

/rant.

So I voted both 99 Styles, HL style, and option too Option to choose.

It should probably go under the same catagory of how you can customize your ONS map location on your hud, and Boogs idea of scalable weapon location too.

Last edited:

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Kharnellius said:
1) I forgot all about them until recently.....which means they aren't helpful at all.
IMO: I forgot all about them until recently.....which means I don't care about them at all since I usually know where my opponent is anyway, especially when they start shooting (besides, it's pretty hard to miss them with 100 FOV).

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
-AEnubis- said:
I can't tell you how many times I get quadruple beamed, double bolted, or headshot, and not realize it until it's way too late. Or the infamous "right before the rocket hits you, somone bolts you."
There's a difference between the idea (which is good, IMHO), and the way it's implemented. Properly implemented, UT2004's directional damage indicators would be way better than full screen flashes.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Well, I have to agree with bullet, that I don't usually need help finding where I'm being shot from, because of sound, the same reason the blinding damage indicators don't bother me. I have another useful sense.

I'd appreciate the "help the noobs" idea, in giving direction indicators, but I don't see them when I wanna know how much damage I took, and it would be even harder to notice the direction they point.

Hence why I voted HL style as an option, because they did a better job of accomplishing both. I could alway tell direction, and intensity there, and not be blinded by it.

I personally, for me, would just prefer the focus on damage intensity, and be able to gauge it accurately without looking at my hud for health, which I could do, in UT, with grotesque accuracy, and lean on sound for the rest.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
In UT99 you always knew which direction you were hit from because every weapon had push.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
gregori said:
Well if the screen is going to be blurred, make it VERY brief! This feature could hurt noobs alot more than wannabe Pro's esp if you get shock rifled from afar , and before you can see were to respond, your sniped or shocked again and again, DEATH! That would be no fun after just picking up the game
Even if a newbie wasn't blinded then there's zero chance he could respond before he got fragged anyway.
I'd even say that a blinding flash would help them learn that getting shot really really hurts and that there's not likely to be a second chance ...

ie : getting fragged without any decent hint as to the damage is defnitely more annoying, because you might get the idea that the other person was cheating.