How's it going?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rakshasas

Apr 19, 2004
What the title said. How's everyone doing? Just felt that this forum is getting a bit dull and I wanna try and get the community all chatty.

Actually I even got a quick question for you all. Will jailbreak have vehicle support? I know when you make a map and place vehicles around, then try it in a mode other than ONS it just wont spawn. I'm practicing map making and static mesh making so when JailBreak 2004 is released I can get to work. Hell if I feel confident enough I could even get started before it's released so when it is I have little work to do. Even have a few ideas.

Just curious :)

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
Rakshasas said:
What the title said. How's everyone doing? Just felt that this forum is getting a bit dull and I wanna try and get the community all chatty.
Heh, good luck mate :rolleyes:

I dont think vehicles will appear in JB2000, a match could end quicker then sniping bots in JB-Face. haha, i`d like to see a Tank Llama :D a tank with flashing lights and spinning turrets :lol:
If there will, i hope there will be road blocks to give them bounderies at least, Sheild gun wont help against a tank :con:

Birelli

meh...
Oct 14, 2001
Syracuse, NY
I agree completely on TB's point about the tank, but remember there are less affective vehicles as well. For instance it's pretty risky to kill someone in a Hellbender in JB, sure it's shock turret is affective, but are you willing to put 2 of, say, 5 people on your team into a vehicle if there's an AVRIL in the map? :)

Rakshasas

Apr 19, 2004
Well I just thought it would be interesting if it had the support. Whether or not it's used is a different story. I'm sure it could be balanced out well but time will tell on that.

Not to mention tanks are easier to kill than most people think. If you are able to stand on top of the turret they can't touch you, but you can shoot down as much as you want, just make sure you don't stand on the hull, because the main gun will hit you off.

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
i find that if the tank moves just a tiny bit...you die x_X
I do think hellbender would be great though :) maybe not the manta, but why not the ion tank ?! :lol: thats easy enough to shoot down :)

stephen_casey_1964

Toy Sculptor
Apr 9, 2004
Tacoma WA, USA
Sorry for the nOOb question, but is this next version of JailBreak going to be fully playable with UT 2004. I sold my UT 2003 the day 2004 came out to help pay for it. I think a lot of people probably did.

Anyhow thanks for any answers. JB sounds like a blast.

FunGun

*klonk*
Nov 12, 2002
Visit site
well its named 2kx the x standing for 3 or 4 so guess^^

imo there shouldnt be vehicles in JB
in a vehicles one cannot get killed as easy as without one, he is faster and the maps have to be relatively big
but if the maps are too big there wont be much action who would like to search the last enemy on an ons map...
furthermore that last one could quite easily get through to the switch...imo its no good idea to put vehicles into JB maps

well thats my opinion.

Mychaeel

stephen_casey_1964 said:
Sorry for the nOOb question, but is this next version of JailBreak going to be fully playable with UT 2004. I sold my UT 2003 the day 2004 came out to help pay for it. I think a lot of people probably did.
Yes. We're going to release both Jailbreak 2003 and Jailbreak 2004 simultaneously -- Jailbreak 2004 with the look and feel and all the nifty features that were introduced with UT2004 (speech recognition, vehicle support, and more).

Corran

Danger Mouse
Mar 10, 2003
Portsmouth, England
planetunreal.com
Yes, it will be released for both UT2003 and UT2004. About the vehicles matter, I think it should be up to the mapper whether or not to use the vehicles since some maps may benefit from them whereas others may not.

stephen_casey_1964

Toy Sculptor
Apr 9, 2004
Tacoma WA, USA
Thank you for clearing that up. I may not be the only one that was confused. So changing how you refer to the new version ala "2003+4" etc, might be helpfull to build more buzz as you approach the mod completion. The ModWorks page as well as your hompage did not make it clear. And I had blowen it off as a mod for older UT but the mention repeatedly of JB in the forums made me go looking again.

The game play sounds like a blast. I am also very glad you are putting so much into the bot support as even though I have broadband I still rather play singleplayer. But almost always with custom maps and models and voice packs. I would love to find the time to contribute to the mod community again. At least a voice pack. In the meantime if you need another beta testor for SP of your mod, feel free to drop me a line and I will put it through some paces. stephen_tacoma_wa@msn.com

Stephen

Rakshasas

Apr 19, 2004
yeah, like I said I think it's just a neat idea to have the vehicles because you never know if it will be the 'next big thing' or the next big flop. I have a small feeling it will be a mess though. Putting a levi into a JB map would definatly be a bad idea that's for sure lol. It's worth fiddling with so I'll look forward to that.

And the new news post is making me more anxious. It's going to be great! It's kind of a shame that 2K3 and 2K4 don't work together though. We could have quite a bit of games going that way. Now we gotta split the community.

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
If there will be a hellbender, we should see if we could make a JB hellbender skin :) like a personalized hellbender for JB :D
Even better if anyone could remodle the hellbender to a prison van :) maybe spawn the van outside the jail for a fast get a away :biggrin2:
...before i go too far with that idea, should we have a small contest on making a JB skin for the hellbender? JB logos, colours..what ever.

Birelli

meh...
Oct 14, 2001
Syracuse, NY
Trueblood said:
...before i go too far with that idea, should we have a small contest on making a JB skin for the hellbender? JB logos, colours..what ever.

That sounds like a good idea for post-release. At the moment I don't think anyone has time to run something like that. Not to mention we don't have any maps in the works that use vehicles in that way as far as I know. If UTJB has taught us anything it's that there will be A LOT of quality maps to experiment with such things farther down the road :)

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Trueblood said:
should we have a small contest on making a JB skin for the hellbender? JB logos, colours..what ever.

Neat idea. Perhaps once we see some maps released that use it, we can run a competition. I'll make a note of it.