How'd you get yer name?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Old Gil

°J2°'s resident lagger
Jun 20, 2004
"I FEEL THE FUNKBLAST!" :D

and i got mine cuz one day i was just beggin for somethin from my freind (was really REALLY into the simpsons back then" and i said "cmon let ole gil get slice... WHERES GILS SLICE!" and i kinda kept using that... to this day most of the people i talk to call me gil (even my parents sometimes 0_0) he is kinda how i see myself in 10 years :D

BlackLeaf

Sep 26, 2004
I got my name from when one of my friends used it for their character in a D&D game, and I think she got it from some random anime/manga or something. I wanted something unique, and this seems to fit since I haven't seen anyone else use anything similar to it ;)

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Swed - because I'm a swede. But there millions of us so I had to add something at the end to make it more orginal.
So I added: ix - becuase I'm a fan of Asterix and Obelix.

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
Taleweaver said:
Hmmm...Two people who pick their name because they can't rap...and m&ms isn't one of them
;) :lol:

I'm not sure what you're getting at there, but don't be suprised if you die a few extra times this fragbu :p

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
got bored of my old name (D-Stroya, an example of great creative wit) and i didn't think it really suited me. Syri was a randomly generated name from Dark Age of Camelot, and i liked it, so kept it

Shadow

Has Balls Of Steel
Oct 20, 2004
When I started playin UT GOTY I started out with the name Marko. And ever since I liked that name and used it for most of my things.

JiveMiguel

Mapping n00b!
Jun 21, 2004
Southern California
My nick

'JiveMiguel' is a reference to a Steely Dan song from the album 'Gaucho', released in 1980. The song is 'Glamor Profession' and it's about the cocaine trade in L.A. (where I currently live and am originally from) in the early 80s. The story alludes that Jive Miguel is a heavy coke trafficker from Bogata, Columbia... It just sounded cool and i've been using it as an online nick since like 1992 (yes, i've been posting on BBSs and forums and the like for a LONG TIME now). ;)

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Weeellll, I read a lot, and ever since I was a kid I've been fascinated by mythology and history. A couple of years back I started getting into a lot of Islamic historical writers, like the Turkish guy Orhan Pamuk (My Name Is Red...brilliant book) and came across this hierarchy of angels that also exist in a Christian mythology too...names like Ezekiel, Asrael, Razial, and Israphel. (Btw, I should point ou that I'm totally non-religious, I just like reading this kind of stuff from a socio-historical perspective...I've come across some people online that get upset at anything connected with Islam...which is just sad really).

Some of the names are better known than others (Asrael for example), some from the Old Testament (everyone knows Samuel Jackson's Ezekiel 25:17 speech from Pulp Fiction)...but I kind of liked the sound of Israphel.
Also my best mate who got me into online gaming is called Ramah (he's an Arthur C Clark fan), but I liked how his name had links to Hindu Gods, and thought that Israphel kind of fitted in with that spirit.

And it's pretty rare, so I can have the same name on my email, MSN and AOL account.

Last edited:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
m&ms said:
I'm not sure what you're getting at there, but don't be suprised if you die a few extra times this fragbu :p
Note to self: get in the opposite team of eminems...m&ms, I mean ;) (great...even more deaths in fragBU. better bring in a good shieldgun)

Wait a sec...'&' is pronounced 'and' in English (it's 'en' in Dutch)...
oops :eek: small language misunderstanding. nevermind. forget about the whole thing

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
Ah, so that's what you mean. In that case, couldn't agree with you more :)

Now I'll have to find a new target, I kinda like the idea of targetting someone specifically for a while :lol:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
When I was way younger, and playing arcade midway games, I had this thing with something in reference to an angel myself. The angel I liked, was a bit more popular though, probably because he fell. So due to overuse I had to find an alternative.

Because Anubis was associated with death, and death is looked at as a mostly negative thing, it sided on what most woud consider "evil" enough, that I liked it. Another name I had considered (mostly all influenced by egyptian history, due to having been there) was Osiris. I more or less stuck with Anubis because it looked better, though I prefered the way Osiris sounded.

Once I started heavy into the PC gaming world, I quicly became obesses with the latin letter Æ, and since my name started with A, and due to translation reasons, the pronunciation was correct, I used it. It also droped a minenute bit of originality into it, since it as well, was more used in said world. Also, instead of chaning to Osiris at that time, I liked the idea better that I was the guide of the dead into the underworld, as opposed to their god.

Exfinite

I am simple, therefore this is simple.
Jul 31, 2004
[Censored]
I always pronounce it 'emenems' too...but the avatar & sig made me think that it might not refer to the rapper :)

Israphel ... Arthur C Clarke is the shiznet. I've only read a few, but I liked them :) .

I used to have a not-so-creative nick...my friends got irritated because it was...dull...so I changed it. I chose this one for it's literal sense ex - finite .... as in no longer finite. Sound's like an ego trip, but it's mostly in the spirit of having come from an...interesting...family and coming out fairly well regardless.

Oh, and on top of my monitor, I have a puffed up paper frog that Haarg made and a toolset (allen wrenches and a screw driver and stuff).

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
When i started playing UT in late '99, i took my name from Tim Skold who was in my favorite band, KMFDM, at the time. My plan was to switch to "Buck Satan" when i got good but that never happened (and lots of people began to know me as Skold).

dub

Feb 12, 2002
My first ever online nick was PHa-Q :)
It was based off some guys that used to make gfx demo's for the Amiga. I kinda found the name funny and it fit to violent first person shooters. But you can tell that many ppl would have a problem with that...

So I kinda went pacifistic, and chose a name that I was given at college. (One of the reasons was cause I used to listen to a lot of... dub music, in class)
I also like it cause it's one of those mirrored words like 'level'
Also for online stuff, it's real easy for every one to type ;)

Last edited:

Keatonian

Nov 17, 2004
Valhalla, Just Visiting
Hmm...

Well, It's based on my real name, though you may be surprised. My older sister, I'm the youngest of 4 kids, three boys, one girl, started calling me Keatonian. At first I hated it, but then it stuck.

When I needed a name to pick me from the crowd on the internet, what would be better than a nickname that noone had ever heard. Keatonian fit perfectly, an invented string of letters that was entirely unique. To have a name made out of a word would not truly fit my personality and way of speech, but I did not wish to use my real name.

On occation I have used DarkSwordKat and LunaticShade.

Enough info? :)

Enfyrneaux

Apr 4, 2002
Later this afternoon
Visit site
When I first started going to UT LAN parties, I was a bit of a klutz with the rocket launcher - I had a tendency to wipe out everything in a room (including myself)...so my fellow LANners called me "crash". Since "crash" is fairly common in online handles I stuck the 24 on the end of it because that's my birthday (August 24th). Even then, it isn't very unique or creative. So I whipped up another name.
Enfyrneaux is another name I go by online (usually while playing UT2k4 or posting on the Atari Community forums). It's a creative spelling of the word "Inferno".

As I make more maps and mods, I'm thinking about changing over to Enfyrneaux altogether...I think it's a cooler name.