How u code? (And more quests)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
I search for solutions in this order: Past Code, Unreal Source, Wiki, BUF, groups.yahoo, google, screaming at monitor.

- How did you learn UC?

Tutorials, then trial and error with an emphasis on the latter.

- How do you affect unreal Wiki?

I write bad tutorials that confuse people, forcing them to learn on their own and making them better coders.

- What's the best side (expect perhaps uwiki) you know from unrealscript?

I used to be a Chimeric junkie.

Last edited:

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
RegularX said:
I write bad tutorials that confuse people, forcing them to learn on their own and making them better coders

How true :) First thing I coded was the HE minigun tutorial. It didn't work, so I abandoned it and started playing with the other weapons, which mostly worked first time. I find learning by doing works better for me anyway, rather than following a tutorial to the letter and not really understanding what I've just done.

I think that the objective of screaming at the monitor is to induce exhaustion. The screaming programmer gets tired and goes to get a Mountain Dew, and on the way back to the computer, the answer usually presents itself in a way similar to Moses' burning bush... but not so... burning-like.

Kaligraphic

Charles leChaud is my hero
Oct 22, 2002
Everywhere.
www.google.com
How I code: I usually find code that does similar things, pore over it to figure out how it works, and then work out how to meld the relevant ideas together. I usually just copy over auxiliary code and tweak it to fit.

I started learning UScript when I wanted a translocator rifle, but couldn't find one. I made one that works well enough, so now I'm on to making a rifle that translocates someone else.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I tried to learn from Tutorials but they confused me (especially Reg's that never seemed to work right ;) ) so I just decided one day what I wanted to do, downloaded WOTgreal and the sources and started doing it. Yah, I had tons of problems for the first couple of months, but IMO I'm a fair to decent coder with some knowledge now...at least I hope so!!

As for the wiki my dev page has a tutorial on how to instantiate and use a Tab Control in the GUIPage...don't know if anyone has looked at it or not ;)