1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE3 - UT3 How to synchronize two terrains?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by ne_skaju, Jan 12, 2009.

1. ne_skaju

ne_skaju Eff yeah!

The only way I found is to use Flatten or Paint vertex tools, but when I use smooth, it only affects one terrain.

2. Princess_Die

Princess_Die Always Out Numbered... Never Out Gunned

Do you want to create a mirror image, or an exact duplicate, or what?

3. ne_skaju

ne_skaju Eff yeah!

My map is symmetrical, so I want to create mirror image.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  4. Princess_Die

Get half the map where you want it, export the height map, convert the file and open in image editor, copy half, flip, and paste so it is symmetrical, convert and import the height map back into the terrain.

5. ne_skaju

ne_skaju Eff yeah!

And what if its turned in 180°?
    Also, what is better: use two halfs of terrain or one big terrain?

6. Princess_Die

One terrain will give you less overhead than two smaller terrains of an equal size.

If you are using one terrain that you want mirrored then follow what I said above. With Photoshop you would copy half the map that you want to mirror, paste it, flip that 1/2 you just pasted vertical or horizontal (depends on the orientation of your map), move it into postion, and flatten the layers, save as tiff.

If you use this method you will need to convert the exported BMP to a tiff and back with this tool: http://www.foogod.com/UEdTexKit/

See this thread too:

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=181491