How to make a DOM map and CTF questions :)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Hi all,

How do I build DOMINATION maps I mean how does it work with the control points? (I think just like CTF) and how am I suppose to lay my paths in a CTF map? do I have to put in paths for eacht team or can bots (of different teams)use the same paths? also I have this problem in a map with this stairs.. the bots keep getting stuck in the middle of the stairs wheter the go up or down....

tnx a bunch:D

Fuzzpilz

klkk
Jun 28, 2000
:noitacoL
The paths are all used by both teams. The stairs problem might be solved by adding another pathnode and redistributing the others.

Aphex

Jan 31, 2000
Manchester, UK
homepage.ntlworld.com
Domination? whats that? ;)
I think you want ControlPoints or something like that.
Either team can use normal PathNodes, but special nodes can be added for extra significance to a certain team depending on its Player attrib. (eg DefensePoints / flagbase AlternatePaths etc.)
When noding stairs, try to put one node at the top, one at the bottom and then add some in the middle if trouble is encountered - the nodes should be closer together on slopes and stairs than on normal flat paths.

Mambo

Metallica Head
Mar 25, 2000
Melbourne, Australia
Domination...

There is a thing called ControlPoint under navigationpoints in the actor browser. Put these wherever you want a control point (there is a property that lets you rename it etc.)

CTF...

Bots use the same paths. what you need to do is make sure you configure the Playerstarts for each team so that red starts in the red base, blue starts in the blue base

Stairs...

You should only place a pathnode at the start and end of stairs if they are straight. If they are curved you probably need a couple more. Chances are you have too many path nodes, so the bots are confused.

hope that was helpful :)

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Ow two more things how far should the nodes be appart?
And don't I have to ajust stuff for the dommap to work/ cause basicly what you're saying is a DOM map is the same as a DEATHMATCH map but you add some controlpoints.(at least this is what I understand out of it)
Is this really all there is to it?

Psychic_313

non-deterministic
Originally posted by _Zd_MEELOBEE_
cause basicly what you're saying is a DOM map is the same as a DEATHMATCH map but you add some controlpoints.(at least this is what I understand out of it)
Is this really all there is to it?

I think so. Have a look at DM-MementoMori or DOM-MementoMori (a map by Legend Entertainment I think, released as a DM map, but it had control points as well, so if you renamed it to DOM-MementoMori you could play it as a DOM map instead)

quitgrin1

Demon Like
Jul 31, 2000
Nowhere
www.geocities.com
When you path just make sure the nodes are visible from one another. I would recommend a distance ranging from 128 to 256 (possibly more) units from one another.

I think theres also something to do with the GameType option in the Level Properties window. If you dont put nothing there, UT will only know if it´s a DM map only if you put a "DM" in the file name. Since its DM, no controlpoints or flags, whatever, will appear on the map. If a DM map has controlpoints in it, just change the name to "DOM" and it´ll work as Domination.

GringoLoco

Fuzzpilz

klkk
Jun 28, 2000
:noitacoL
Here's a cool CTF idea that doesn't work, in case anyone is thinking of trying it: attach the FlagBase to a mover. I did so once, having an elevator behind my flag. The elevator did carry the flag up and down, but everytime it stopped at key 0, I'd get a message that "The red flag has been returned". Too bad.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
MEELOBEE:
An advice: check the paths in the editor. Try to mave tha camera along all the important routes. There should be only blue lines there. If there are reds too then that's not problem but you could optimalize the pathing by moving nodes into directions that make the path blue...so that bots will use the most of the map.

Luminuis

Herald of the Newest Dawn
Err. DOM and DM ARE the same thing, no adjusting required, tho DM to DOM isn't uaully a good idea (ConPoints need to be at least partially defendable, and when's the last time you put a camping spot in a DM map?) But DOM to DM is pretty cool, I did this myself with DOM-Condemned, I also added more to the level, it is an awesome DM map now, (Conpoints...Another good reason to put redeemers)

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Ehmm Guys,

You all are talking about red and blue lines. What lines?
When I (re)build my map I don't see any lines. Should there be any lines between the pathnodes? or what do u mean?

Aphex

Jan 31, 2000
Manchester, UK
homepage.ntlworld.com
Right-click the title bar of any view and choose View->Show Paths. The paths will be shown between the nodes in either blue or red. Blue means there is a good path, red means there is a path but larger creatures cannot use it (used in Unreal 1) so it can be treated as a blue one AFAIK.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Ok so I deleted all pathnodes and started all over again..
but I got this map with 2 ledges with some heathvials on them. I saw that the editor makes the lines between the vials, a shieldbelt my playerstarts etc. but when I add a pathnode the lines to the vials (on the ledges) become red

How come and is it a problem?
map1.jpg