How to change sounds in UT3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Helgso

Helgso
Dec 5, 2005
Iceland
www.tv.is
Can I change f.x. the sound for the Flak Cannon in UT3? How would I do that?

I tried writing down all the sounds' names in the original package using Unreal Editor and then making a corresponding named sounds in a new package containing new sounds. I then replaced the original sound file in the UT directory with my custom made package without success. The custom package had the same name as the original, "A_Weapon_FlakCannon.upk"

The game still uses the default sounds. How can I make it use mine?

Thanks!

Last edited:

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Silly question, but did you make a mutator to replace the default flak cannon with your custom one...or even used the Weapon Replace mut?

Helgso

Helgso
Dec 5, 2005
Iceland
www.tv.is
I don't have any idea how to manage the sound replacement, therefore I was just experimenting. I haven't created a mutator to replace the default Flak Cannon. Do you maybe know how to create a new weapon that uses UT3's FlakCannon model and animation and all that but uses my sounds?

That way, I can recreate all the weapons in the game and use the Weapon Replace mutator to let the game replace the originial weapons with the new ones that only have different sounds. Great plan but how to do it? :p

Helgso

Helgso
Dec 5, 2005
Iceland
www.tv.is
I got myself the 2008 edition of the source codes as they were the newest ( http://www.moddb.com/members/ambershee/downloads/ut3-scripts-current-12 )

Then I used the default UTWeap_FlakCannon.uc, copied the code and created UTWeap_FlakCannonB.uc. I set up a coding directory in My Games as the tutorial you linked to suggested. I modified the FlakCannon code in UTWeap_FlakCannonB.uc where I changed the lines:

Code:
class UTWeap_FlakCannon extends UTWeapon
To
Code:
class UTWeap_FlakCannonB extends UTWeapon

and

Code:
WeaponFireSnd[0]=SoundCue'A_Weapon_FlakCannon.Weapons.A_FlakCannon_FireCue'
WeaponFireSnd[1]=SoundCue'A_Weapon_FlakCannon.Weapons.A_FlakCannon_FireAltCue'
To
Code:
WeaponFireSnd[0]=SoundCue'[U]A_Weapon_FlakCannonB[/U].Weapons.A_FlakCannon_FireCue'
WeaponFireSnd[1]=SoundCue'[U]A_Weapon_FlakCannonB[/U].Weapons.A_FlakCannon_FireAltCue'

Since I had already made the A_Weapons_FlakCannonB.upk package with the new sounds.

After doing all this, I made UT3 compile the "UTWeap_FlakCannonB.uc". Fine, now I have a .u file. However, how do I now make UT know this is a new weapon, using the file "UTWeap_FlakCannonB.u"? I want to be able to add the mutator "Weapon Replacement" in-game and select my new "FlakCannonB" weapon. What are my next steps? Thanks so far!

Last edited: