1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How to begin with INF?

Discussion in 'Infiltration Online' started by le_bogue, Nov 9, 2004.

1. le_bogue

le_bogue Le Bogue

Hey all,

I'm a long-time CS fan, but in the past year I've started geting annoyed with it for lots of reasons. Steam was the final straw.

I've only just discovered INF, unfortunately. If I'd known about it before I think I might have preferred it to CS.

Anyway, on Thursday I'll get my old copy of UT, and I want to get started playing online. Can you guys give me some tips for what additional software to download, which servers to join and how to play as a newbie without annoying the regulars? I think I mainly want to play EAS, because it seems the most realistic game type.

Cheers all, and see you online.

Le Bogue

2. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

EAS is a good place to start, since it is how the INF team intended newbies to start.

If you want to start up right now and play, just know that you have a compass at the bottom left of your screen that tells you where to go, the rest can probably be learned through key binding or asking online. There are also two additional weapon packs that nearly all servers have installed, but you need to download to have the new weapons in your loadout menu.

3. Nukeproof

Nukeproof n1

Its actually a little complicated, if you want to have more than just a quick look I suggest to install:

- INF2.9 (Full)
    - Desert Storm Mappack
    - INF_Bonuspack
    ------------------------ all from the mainpage/download

- INF Mod Team - Weaponpack
    ------------------------ http://combatmaps.planet-multiplayer.de/index.php?site=files&type=mut

You'll also need the UT4.36 patch. Using Chris Odell OpenGL-driver 2.7 (http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ ) is also a good idea for most grafic cards.

I personally would spent a few hours with bots before going online.

Online you will mainly see 3 kinds of gameplay TDM (Team Deathmatch), DTAS (Dynamic Take and Secure = One team defending a certain area, other team attacking) and EAS (servers aren't populated all the time)

I like all of 'em, most stick to their favorite gametype...

Anyway, welcome to Infiltration :)

Edit: Before joinig GD server I would download their giant mutie pack (use link in Odie3's sig http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=148655&highlight=odie3) it contains two more weapons and other interesting stuff

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  4. le_bogue

le_bogue Le Bogue

What's a GD server?

What's a GD server?

5. Cleeus[JgKdo]

Cleeus[JgKdo] because respawns suck

There also are lots of custom maps on the servers. You can either DL them with UT or get them from http://www.combatmaps.de/ or http://realmaps.beyondunreal.com/

Broadband connection highly suggested

I hope you won't become disappointed by our small community. Where CS has 70,000+ players online, INF has maybe 40 in it's peak values.

6. Taque

Taque Custom User Title

The GD Server is just one of the 15 or so servers laying around. It, however, is one of the more popular servers that is running the EAS gametype.

I agree with Nukeproof and suggest that you spend a couple of hours (or even just half an hour) against some bots offline to get a hang for the game and the controls. If you have any questions, just ask, most people are quite happy to assist.

Welcome, and never look back. :D

7. le_bogue

le_bogue Le Bogue

Wow that sounds pretty cool! I hope INF isn't going to die out any time soon then ... I'm just about to get started.

8. ant75

ant75 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

First tip for online play : forget everything you know from CS. Think of it as a new gaming experience. Take the red pill.
    Second tip : NEVER mention the word CS again.

Have fun!

9. AlmostAlive

AlmostAlive Active Member

First rule of Infiltration is : Read the manual
    Second rule of Infiltration is : Read the.....You get the picture ;)

The manual can be found here

There are 3 main gamemodes, all of which have their own tactics. DTAS (Dynamic Take And Secure), Team Deathmatch and EAS (Enhanced Assault). Make sure you try them all.

Oh, and don't forget to read the manual.

Welcome!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2004
  10. {GD}Odie3

{GD}Odie3 You Give Odie a Boner

As stated before, the GDMutiePack is a good thing to get. Currently the Ghost Dogs host - EAS/DTAS/TDM/Special Server Nights Servers in North America (Ghost Dogs = GD).

In the GDMutiePack you will find all the required addition weapons/Mutators to join about any Server that is running. However, the Infiltration Bonus Pack is not in there (since it is a bit large). Not only does getting the GDMutiePack save you downloading from the Server(s), it also allows you to use the Extra stuff offline.

Also, as stated - visit CombatMaps.de and RealMaps - and book mark them. If you stick with Infiltration you will visit them often.

Welcome to Infiltration - we are all here to help. The only stupid question is the one not asked (however I suggest reading the manual before you ask).

In my sig there is a link for the GDMutiePack and also TeamSpeak information. If you do not have TeamSpeak - I suggest you get it.

11. Vega-don

Vega-don arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée

hi
    you are lucky , im to busy to play often now :D
    if you like cs , its not that bad, it was an addictive game.
    if CS is lego then INF is lego techniks . read the manual , go to a server, grab a gun and kill people (the ennemy team)

12. zeep

zeep :(

13. - Lich -

- Lich - New Member

Welcome!

Most important things were mentioned already. Maybe you go to the shootingrange in the beginning (Training button at top of the screen), there are shelves where all standard weapons are lying around (not the new weapons). In INF a lot depends on personal taste if you like a weapon or not, and this way you can make first tries fastest.

And maybe do not expect to rule, INF does not play like any other shooter out there, it requires more time to get used to. But it is a very nice game, there are not many games I play for such a long time.

14. MP_Lord_Kee

MP_Lord_Kee New Member

Welcome le_bogue!

As already stated several times, read the manual. Nothing is as annoying than hearing over and over again someone asking, how do I use the clays etc...
    When online, remember to check the camos used in the map (changes from map to map and if you defend or attack). Hit F1 to check that.

Inf is hard to master, I'm still learning myself. There are no cheaters (as far as it is known) so don't get frustrated if you die a lot in the begining. Alot of value is proper placement, know where to look at right times and map knowledge, and that only comes with time and training.

//Kee

15. {GD}Odie3

{GD}Odie3 You Give Odie a Boner

If there are cheaters the US and Europe Admins talk about it and we weed them out pretty fast.

16. randomas

randomas New Member

Welcome!

17. _red_

_red_ New Member

Threads like this make me love you guys more.

:D

18. MP_Duke

MP_Duke Banned

...So to boil it down, you start INF by simply joining a server and getting your ass kicked.

19. Vega-don

Vega-don arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée

thread revival?

20. le_bogue

le_bogue Le Bogue

Yeah I did, it was hard and I got beaten down! One day I'll have time to play more ...