How long have you been mapping?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Pinkerton

Mar 9, 2006
Since Quake LOL Damn i loved Quake1&2, if your really wann get technical i made a couple of Wolfenstine 3d maps and Doom Mods. But not to serious till Quake

Tidu

Feb 4, 2005
I've been off and on mapping with a few games, not very serious about it, though. I started with starcraft, made some stuff, moved to warcraft, then played "Command and Conquer Renegade" for a year or two, mostly because of the community. (the game wasn't too good. The only C&C fps...) I tried mapping for that, but I think something with my computer wouldn't let me do a process that was required to package a map, and I couldn't get the maps (as crappy as they were) out. I moved onto UT2004 august 2004 because I liked not being limited like you are in other editors (like wc3), and I liked how it actually worked (unlike renegade ;)) And I can't wait for '07.

Last edited:

JonAzz

UA Mapper
Aug 1, 2003
North of Philadelphia
7 years... more if you can't WarCraft maps... :p

great fun. O god I used to make some sick ass UMS maps for SC, those where the days... those where the days.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
I started mapping on silent XMas holidays... 2005. :-))) Since than I'm more with editor than with the game itself. I tried it on friends notebook and than I had to install Windows on my computer because of it! :) I heard that UT2007 editor may work on Linux too... whooo - it would be superb.

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
Can't remember TBH (somewhere around '99 / 2000), I started with UnrealEd 1.0 which I just used to play around with, never considered releasing anything until much later.

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
7 years. I started with Half Life 1's editor, then switched to UT99 after it came out (I had tried Unreal 1's editor but it would always crash when it opened). Blew my mind that you could actually see lighting in UT99's editor.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
First really started using UED3 in mid 2002, up to then I didn't have a pc that could run it well enough, so coded instead, once I had a rig that could run it I havent turned back. Been mapping on and off since then.
My most recent map shown in sig (wip)

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I've been meaning to get round to it since Wolfenstein 3D days :( but only managed the feat of doing something in June 2005.

(Just remembered - Back around '96 I did create in DOOM a large cube filled with barrels for the benefit of my (then) 5 year-old nephew - barrels were less scary than monsters :) - does that count or am I stuck with June '05? :))

Last edited:

MrTenPercent

Mar 10, 2006
UK
Hello everyone at beyondunreal - my first post here. :)

I only started with Ed2 (UT99) Xmas 2005. I also downloaded the Quake editor Quark (Quake Army Knife) coz I wanted to play Q1 DM4 in UT.

Done a few maps - three based on Voxel's beta_Funnel_II and a few other 'crappy' maps plus one 'proper' DM and one halfway proper CTF map. Only two of the Voxel maps actually online.

Havent looked at UT2004 editing coz I dont play it much online.

CyberSirius

Mostly dead.
Jan 4, 2004
Actually,since october 2003 with UnrealEd 3.0. but since UEd3.0. + WinME = bad and i had money,i buyed Unreal Tournament so i can use UnrealEd 2.0.

Now,i have windows 2000 and Unreal Tournament 2004,i can't really think of a map idea right now.

ImaCarrot

Professional Level Designer
Aug 30, 2005
www.imacarrot.com
I started mapping with Starcraft however many years ago. Then I started mapping in UT2003 a few months before UT2004 came out. Made the switch when 2004 came out.

If you guys wanna get really technical, I actually started mapping with Excitebike on my NES when that came out! :lol:

Carrot

Kaithofis

The Seldom Seen Kid
approx. 2,5 years.
It all started with RA2 and AoE2 editors, after which I moved on to UT after I got a PC that could handle it.
There I learned the basics of the UEd, and just in time to begin the "real" mapping when UT2K4 was released.
After that my maps kept on sucking less and less ;)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Kaithofis said:
approx. 2,5 years.
It all started with RA2 and AoE2 editors, after which I moved on to UT after I got a PC that could handle it.
There I learned the basics of the UEd, and just in time to begin the "real" mapping when UT2K4 was released.
After that my maps kept on sucking less and less ;)
IF we are including RA2, then since about 1999 :)