1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How Far Will Realism Go?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cleve-ntt, Dec 6, 2003.

1. cleve-ntt

cleve-ntt random in the head.

Currently, we don't have laser guns and stuff like that in game right - I mean, this is a realism mod.
    Currently realism makes for very balanced gameplay and fun.

But what about when "real" changes - When the US design some super suit, will we implement that, even when its used by every force?

I mean, there will be a time soon where what we now see as unrealistic **** that would make the game stupid and pointless will become the real.

So would Infiltration change?

I mean, when guns get so good there is a no recoil fully-auto sniper rifle, will Inf have that too?

I mean, already Inf aint totally real - when are they going to implement nuke eh.

What about when the foot soldier becomes obsolete? (this prolly wont happen, but it might in the far-future).

I mean, how real can a game get and still be fun.

And how can it stay real when what is real is changing?

I aint in a writing mood at the moment...I just think its an idea which you might like to think about :)

2. stoned_jedi

stoned_jedi Ethically Challenged

ill tell you in 1000 years....

3. das_ben

das_ben Concerned.

This should be in the General forum.

4. yurch

yurch Swinging the clue-by-four

I'm sure medival combat fans are saying the same thing about firearms.

Both sides being equal, it will always come down to who uses the weaponry smarter.

5. cleve-ntt

cleve-ntt random in the head.

Exactly my point, yurch.

But what about when fighting IS totally imbalanced - I mean, tis gotta happen someday.

What about when the infiltration style mod has mechs?

6. BlAcK_PlAgUe22

BlAcK_PlAgUe22 I ooze.

"Bah! Back in my day, Realaim still only had a single digit!"

cleve: I think the assumption is that to make INF fair, each side has access to the same weapons.

7. (SDS)benmcl

(SDS)benmcl Why not visit us here in the real world.

Think of it as the guys with the most powerfull weapons had a falling out and split into 2 sides. they have the same access to teh weapons and start blasting away at eachother.

8. poaw

poaw You used to sleep easy at night.

Warfare will probably never be "unbalanced" in the way describe in anywhere in the foreseeable future.

The supersuit you speak of may come into fruition but no one can monopolize knowledge, what can be learned by one can be learned by another. For example, take the radar technology during WW2. Every major combatant discovered it completely seperate from the others and tried to keep it a secret. Then you have diffusion of technology as a result using (and losing) it, like Americans capturing MG42s during WW2 and then putting out the M60 less then two decades later when they're stock of .30 machine guns started wearing out or the Soviets putting out the AK74 after the Vietnam War.

Creating a full-auto, one shot kill, sniper rifle with no recoil is possible. You just have to take an M2 with scope, accurate barrel, and a very heavy and rigid mounting. The only problem it would weigh at least 500 lbs. Conversely you just carry a semiauto sniper rifle with decent ammo and have it weigh 10 - 12 lbs.

As it stands games can get very realistic and only gain in overall enjoyment. INF can stay real when real is changing by changing with what is real.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2003