How do you make Bosses for FHI games - Part 2!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mr Marik

May 21, 2004
I still need help. But at least I've finalised what I'd like to have as the Boss. Take a look at the list:

- The boss is a Dropship from the Airpower Mod, or Single Player intro. It is, in a way, going to represent the HKs from the Terminator series.
- The Dropship's skin will be blue, as if you were in an Airpower CTF game and on the Blue team. This skin looks cooler, trust me!
- The Dropship will be 50% larger than it normally is (DrawScale3D set to 1.5 on all axises).
- The Dropship will be able to move fast.
- The Dropship will be armed with the weapons of a Leviathan: fast homing missiles and the beam cannon. The boss can nearly always fire the missiles, but will remain motionless while firing the beam cannon. During this time it is vulnerable, as it also cannot fire it's missiles while using the beam cannon.
- The Dropship's vision/hearing range will be VERY excellent, meaning it will be difficult (but not impossible) to "sneak up" on it.

That's about it. Now if someone could tell me how I'd go about making this boss real and fightable in my FHI-Encircled map, then I'll go do it, and release it again!

(Thanks in advance....I hope!) *is desperate*

Mr Marik

May 21, 2004
Change of plans, people.

The boss will now be a gigantic Ion Sattelite (8 to 10 times normal size). The Leviathan homing missiles also, may be replaced by the homing projectiles from the BFG2000 (Unreal 4 Ever). It will still retain the Leviathan's main cannon (fired out from where the Ion Cannon would be) and it's superior vision and hearing range.

This, as I discussed with 2 others, would be easier to develop. What do you guys (especially the Dev Team) think?

Da Wrecka

Mar 31, 2000
England
www.dawrecka.ic24.net
Mr Marik said:
Change of plans, people.

The boss will now be a gigantic Ion Sattelite (8 to 10 times normal size). The Leviathan homing missiles also, may be replaced by the homing projectiles from the BFG2000 (Unreal 4 Ever). It will still retain the Leviathan's main cannon (fired out from where the Ion Cannon would be) and it's superior vision and hearing range.

This, as I discussed with 2 others, would be easier to develop. What do you guys (especially the Dev Team) think?

I think it's a bad idea.

If you try using content belonging to other people without their permission, they have every right to legally bitchslap you. Even if you do have their permission, you limit your target audience because not everybody who has FHI will have U4E. I personally do hope to make use of a U4E monster and turn it into an FHI boss, but I will not do so without permission from the U4E team and I do so completely aware of the audience limitation. (I've not asked permission to use it yet, primarily because I'm busy working on a different project for the FHCP. Once I've finished that though, I'll send off a mail to the U4E team and hope for the best.) If you've got permission and you want to go ahead despite the audience limitation though, then go right ahead. You do need to be aware of the potential issues here.

As for the boss itself, I have the feeling it will be producing cries of "cheap". The Leviathan cannon is far too difficult to avoid. If you use it, you'll need to ensure you supply plenty of cover in your map, which may kill framerates depending on how detailed you make that cover. If you don't, players will be dying all the damn time. Homing projectiles can work, but you'll need to make sure their tracking is less than perfect, otherwise the boss will be absolutely no fun to play against. The goal is to make a boss challenging while being fun, and a boss that can kill you whenever it likes is NEVER fun.

That said, I think the idea has potential. If you can provide more details, then we may be able to provide more in the way of constructive criticism.