1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE2 - UT2kX How do you decrease the size of my map with out deleting?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by fronjohn, Dec 27, 2009.

1. fronjohn

fronjohn New Member

Hey guys i got another problem here, but its with size ok well im trying to submit my map to a friends server, but when i saw the size of my map it was 21mb!!!! but there aint that much items or props in there than other maps have more than mines, so im trying to find a way to decrease the size with out deleting that much in my map ,is there any way to do that or is it the only way :( :(

2. Jefe

Jefe The Dark Rat

1. Do not embed music.

2. Do not embed music.

3. Do not embed music.

Now that we have that out of the way, (and assuming there aren't any wav files) the map will compress nicely (and I assume the 21 mb is the uncompressed size) when converted to .uz2 for use on the server. 21 mb isn't too bad for a DM with some custom content but as you say it doesn't have much, so that is a bit on the large size.

Angel Mapper has a good optimization tutorial with should help you shave a few mb off of that map, as well help improve FPS. Page 3 of the tutorial covers lighting (which is relevant to your problem) be sure to check it out. You can reduce the map's file size if you change unseen surfaces to unlit and by lowering the detail of light maps (i.e. higher number) on surfaces that don't need shadow detail. If you have imported any custom textures, be sure to compress them, including your level screenshots, which are easy to overlook. If your props are high poly that will also increase file size and possibly lower performance on the map. If you made them yourself, see if you can improve those (don't have a tutorial handy or experience with this, sorry.)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  3. Wormbo

Wormbo Administrator Staff Member

• If you embed textures, make them smaller in size and use appropriate texture compression. (DXT1 if no alpha or only mask, DXT5 if using alpha channel) Avoid RGBA (i.e. uncompressed) like the plague! If you have P8 (256 color) textures, then that's ok.
    • If you embed any meshes, make them simpler. (this also goes for collision shapes of static meshes, should you use them)
    • If you embed any sounds, reduce their sampling rate and consider 8 bit sample size instead of the default 16 bit. (8bit will cause low-volume white noise, so it might not work well for samples that start or end with silence)
    • Disable lighting and select the maximum lightmap resolution for any BSP surfaces that are never visible. For all other BSP surfaces choose the largest lightmap resolution that still looks good.