1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How do I write a mod with 3 teams?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Co11, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Co11

Co11 New Member

I extended TeamGame directly... what I'm not understanding is this... I had just a blank file with the extend to TeamGame... I still couldn't spawn anything... (same errors)

I was under the impression that if I just extended something, it would work the same as the file I'm extending...

2. porkmanii

porkmanii New Member

Odd. What default properties did you set for this "blank file"?

3. Co11

Co11 New Member

the usual... new map prefixes - mod name, stuff like that... I'll post the code when I get to my laptop...

-- I almost forgot... it's getting errors resolving the package name... -- how is that possible?

4. Co11

Co11 New Member

defaultproperties
    {
    MapPrefix="AD"
    GameName="Agent Down"
    Description="Protect your man, and guide him to the safety of a box."
    Acronym="AD"
    //HINTS!
    ADHints(0)="You can protect your man better by focusing half of the team on offense and the other half on defense."
    // GameReplicationInfoClass=Class'AgentDown.ClientGameReplicationInfo'
    }

5. porkmanii

porkmanii New Member

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the default properties. What else was in the class (ie. functions, variable declarations, etc.)? Nothing?

Exactly what did you mean when you said you "couldn't spawn anything"?

Here's what I could find in the Unreal Wiki about resolving package names:

Failed to load 'NULL': Can't resolve package name
    Failed to load 'object class None.object name': Can't resolve package name

These two lines appear together and are caused by the DynamicLoadObject function when trying to load an object from a non-existing package. Object class is the class specified as second parameter of DynamicLoadObject and could be e.g. "Class", "Texture" or "Sound". Object name is the actual name of the object that should be loaded. Note that the object's package name is set to "None" because the package could not be loaded. (which caused the first warning)

6. Co11

Co11 New Member

The game will count down, and I will stay in spectator mode... I can fly around, but other than that I'm sitting there...

Now that I extended the xTeamGame -- I seem to die every time I spawn.. but I can spawn...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  7. porkmanii

porkmanii New Member

What level are you testing it on? I recall having the same (die every time you spawn) problem in UT while I was map-making. I did something with a brush and forgot to click "rebuild geometry", so every time I spawned I would die, and it would say I "left a small crater".

What did you do differently to extend xTeamGame? Are all the defaultproperties and methods the same (as when you extended TeamGame)? xTeamGame precaches some things that TeamGame does not, but other than that, the only differences are the following default properties (excluding the ones that you've set):
    Code:
    DefaultEnemyRosterClass="xGame.xTeamRoster"
    HUDType="XInterface.HudCTeamDeathMatch"
    MapListType="XInterface.MapListTeamDeathMatch"
    DeathMessageClass=Class'XGame.xDeathMessage'
    ScreenShotName="UT2004Thumbnails.TDMShots"
    DecoTextName="XGame.TeamGame"
    I see no reason for any of those to make a difference...

Have you overridden RestartPlayer? If you can't respawn, that's where I'd guess the problem is.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  8. Co11

Co11 New Member

no, didn't respawn anything...

I just added an x to the extend to make xTeamGame... that's all.. I made a cube level, and that's all.. I'll remake a level to see what the difference is... other than that, I'm ready to make the red team be the side that has a client (the team of one)....

9. Co11

Co11 New Member

I can spawn and now everything works... it's allll good now

10. Co11

Co11 New Member

How do I creat a new data type???

var ____NEWDATATYPE____ variable;

I get errors about this new ____NEWDATATYPE___ -- how do I fix that?

11. Co11

Co11 New Member

anyone?

12. porkmanii

porkmanii New Member

How 'bout you tell us what errors you are getting? Obviously we won't be able to solve the problem if you don't tell us what it is.

13. Co11

Co11 New Member

C:\UT2004\TestMod\Classes\xClientPawn.uc(7) : Error, Unrecognized type 'ClientGameReplicationInfo'

14. Co11

Co11 New Member

Here lies my problem.. I'm pretty much going through and picking out the replication code from mutant as well as most of the code that spawns one mutent...

The trouble I'm having is this: They are creating a new data type and I'm not even seeing where...

Shouldn't they have a struct command for that somewhere? If so, where could I find it
    That's my current hangup... Not sure what other type of info you guys need to solve this one... I guess my issue is trying to figure out where the Epic guys put their code? did they extend it like a modder would? or did they build it into valuable files like gameinfo.uc and whatnot...

15. porkmanii

porkmanii New Member

Is 'ClientGameReplicationInfo' the type you are "missing"? If it is, are you sure it's not one you made yourself?

The reason I ask is this:
    Edit: None of the classes in the official (UT2004) packages contain "ClientGameReplicationInfo". If such a struct/class exists, my guess would be it's a sub-class of "Engine.GameReplicationInfo".

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  16. Co11

Co11 New Member

no no... I did make this myself... this is based on the code fromt the mutant game mode...

I should have a struct, I know.. but the mutant code does exactly the same and it works for whatever reason... I realize they have made a struct, but where would they be able to hide it? (not in game replication info) ....

also, what does this replication stuff do?

17. porkmanii

porkmanii New Member

Which part of the mutant code?
    What is the struct called?
    You'll need to be more specific. If you want to know more about replication, I'd recommend looking through the Unreal Wiki. Introduction to Replication is a good starting point.

18. Co11

Co11 New Member

the replication stuff I'm getting used to... it's mostly code to update the server, eh?

Now, I'm peering through the mutant code.. and they keep referring to a MutantReplicationInfo data type... so this line comes up a few times

var mutantreplicationinfo mutantvariable;

So, I'm trying to copy the part of the code that spawns one guy (basically the mutant, but in my game).. I do the same thing, BUT... I have no idea what this mutantreplicationinfo thing is...

that's a struct isn't it? Its not referenced to anywhere but as this data type... no struct statement, nothing that could tell me that this is a data type and that's what it does... Where can I find the info on the data types created for the mutant code?
    Is it all that important? -- i mean this is all replication code, so I'm assuming I'll need all that... what o you guys think

19. porkmanii

porkmanii New Member

Are you sure it isn't MutantGameReplicationInfo? MutantGameReplicationInfo is a class in the BonusPack package.

It's full name according to WOTgreal is: MutantGameReplicationInfo->GameReplicationInfo->ReplicationInfo->Info->Actor->Object

20. Co11

Co11 New Member

there are two..

MutantGRI
    (Game Replicatin Info)

and

MutantCRI
    (Client Replication Info)

What's the difference between the two here?