How do I make games?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Excellent article. I'm not sure that coding 5 2D games is necessarily the best exercise out there, it wouldn't be worst - and his points about focusing on specific elements is spot on.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Nice find!

I am myself a simple mapper , but these article looked well explained for starting to learn AI and stuff.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
A lot of people I have noticed seemed to get into the idea that if they make a mod their chances of hitting it 'big time' is there. It is true that there are great success stories in the modding community but like in the article, the ratio between success/failures isn't good. And that's only counting them as teams vs individual people. So hopefully, this article will help address some expectations which may be abslutely ridiculous.

Psyk

Sep 7, 2001
Visit site
I'm making mods to help getting into the industry. But I'm not expecting to suddenly hit it big with a mod. Modding is just one step towards my goal of being a games programmer. I'm also going to university and I will probably do loads of other things too that will help me achieve this.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Alot of thing that SS posted was usefull, So i . But after the pm's i sent to some admins with no answers , i realized myself that having like 10 sticky would be EXTREMELY anoying.

Adraeus

TeamVirus
Mar 8, 2005
San Diego
www.metavirus.net
A lot of people I have noticed seemed to get into the idea that if they make a mod their chances of hitting it 'big time' is there.
The chances of "getting into the game" are better if they simply send a cover letter and resume to a game development studio and, if hired, work their way up from there. There's a lot to be learned from playing in the mud. Skipping the gauntlet and charging straight into the treasure room isn't always the brightest thing to do. After all, such "brave" adventurers usually find themselves amidst another gauntlet with the bonus teaser at the end.