How do i make a custom sound pack?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
I want to make a sound pack for the skaarj species that will use their original sounds and make them more polished. I've made a sound group in the "xPawn Sound Group" and a custom skaarj species under the "Species type."
The sound group's default properties are filled in with the sounds i want. I've edited the xplayersl2.upl to tell dominator to use the new species, but he comes up as Jakob, so somthing's amiss there.
But the bigger issue first is: how do i get the new species to reference the sound pack?
Or am i completely off base here?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
This is easy stuff and only requires UnrealEd, so it's not really about coding. There are lots of sites that walk you through the steps. I'll explain this later.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Be warned that if you want to release this, you will need to be sure to include in the readme the information that SPECIES classes do not work online - only the default species can be used. People won't pay any attention to this of course, and would then moan at you for making something that 'doesn't work', but at least you can ask in a snotty voice whether they bothered to read the readme ;)

On your problem:

Have you actually looked at any of the default UT classes for voicepacks? In the species class, all you need to do is reference your custom voicepack and/ or soundgroup:

Code:
     MaleVoice="Yourpackage.YourVoicePack"
     MaleSoundGroup="YourPackage.xYourSoundSoundGroup"

If it's just a voicepack with no custom pain and death sounds, you can keep net compatibility by getting rid of the species class totally and using a default one. Then just add a line to the character .upl file:

Code:
Voice=YourPackage.YourVoicePack

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
I wasn't intending to release it, really, and after using the search function (imagine that!) I found a thread that linked me to a good tutorial post. Thank you for the fast and positive replies however. I would have used the search funtion earlier bnut i'd been at it for hours adn not getting anywhere, even after browzing the Wikia dn i was out of ideas at the moment. Anyway, after borrowing the gibs from the U2Skaarj pack (which is one of the reasons i don't intend to release it) I finally have skaarj with red blood, my skaarj voicepack set default and proper skaarj-ish pain, death etc sounds.

here's the url of the site i found, in case anyone wants to use it again, and is too lazy to hit search for "custom sound packs" http://sv1.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?s=&postid=136970#post136970post136970

it's for UT2003, but wored for UT2004.

Again, thank you for the courteous replies.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Sijik said:
gibs from the U2Skaarj pack (which is one of the reasons i don't intend to release it)

It's perfectly fine to use content from Unreal2 in 2K4, so you don't need to worry about it being illegal or anything. That doesn't mean other unreal engine games count though (raven shield and so on) - epic have given permission for unreal2 assets to be used, probably because Legend were shut down by atari.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
Radiosity said:
It's perfectly fine to use content from Unreal2 in 2K4, so you don't need to worry about it being illegal or anything. That doesn't mean other unreal engine games count though (raven shield and so on) - epic have given permission for unreal2 assets to be used, probably because Legend were shut down by atari.

Rather i used the gibs ported by the guy that made that huge pack of U2 skaarj brought to UT2004, so while it's Legend's content, it's his work porting it and I'm too lazy right now to get his permission to post it online. If there's a demand for this, I'll see if he'll let me.