1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How do I create a new weapon mod?

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by HC_Missile, Apr 28, 2006.

1. HC_Missile

HC_Missile New Member

I know this might be a newbish question, but I would like to know what program(s) I would use to create a new weapon mod for infltration and have the mod include things like attachments for the gun, as well as other special properties. Would I be using just Unreal Editor, or is there much more to it then that, perhaps 3DS max or something? If there is a tutorial site where I can read up on this information, that would be also very helpful.
    What kind of program would I be using to make the characteristics of the gun work, ie; atachments, fireing speed, ammo type, ect.? Would I use a programming language like C++, or is it more simple than that? I've never made a UT mod before, but I am quite skilled at such things.

Incase your interested, I'm looking to make a mod for the FN F-2000 IWS that has the following large amount of avalible attachments:

FN F2000 (14 bulk)

===TOP MOUNTED===
    1 - Optical sight 3.8x magnification (2 bulk)
    2 - Optical sight 1.6x magnification (1 bulk)
    3 - FCS 2.6x magnification Target Assist Module (6 bulk)
    4 - ACOG reflex sight (1 bulk)
    5 - Tactical laser aiming module (2 bulk) [not sure, but the F2000 has a wide
    viriety of customizations, and so far it looks like there is a top mounted
    laser sight for this gun]

===BARREL MOUNTED=== [these can be mounted with eachother]
    1 - Silcencer (2 bulk) [It is unconfermed if the F2000 really has a silencer
    attachment, since the gun is "unofficially tested". I'm still looking for more
    info.]
    2 - Extended Barrel (3 bulk) [Increases the range-accuracy, sniper style]

===UNDER BARREL MOUNTED===
    1 - Front Cover (1 bulk) [this has no use, but if equipped, it makes the recoil
    easier to handle since there is something to grip while firing, thus there is
    less kick back when firing]
    2 - Tactical Flashlight (2 bulk)
    3 - Laser Aiming Module (2 bulk)
    4 - Integrated Tac-light w/ laser Aiming Module (4 bulk) [it should be 3 or
    even 2 bulk, but that would be unfar]
    5 - 40mm Grenade Launcher (6 bulk)
    6 - 12 gauge shotgun (6 bulk) [WHAT?! Yea, thats what I said, but its a real
    attachment to the gun, I might not add it though cause its too much of
    an advantage, once again, unfar]

The F2000 stats:

Ammo: 5.56mm NATO STANAG 4172
    Action: Gas-operated
    Weight: 3.6 kg / 4.6 kg (w/ 40mm)
    Gun Length: 694mm
    Barrel Length: 400mm
    Rate of fire: 850 RPM
    Muzzle velocity: 900 m/s

The F2000 40mm Grenade launcher:
    Ammo: 40mm HE
    40mm WS
    40mm AB (airburst - however, you need the FCS module to use it)
    [This is also real, but I might not include it since it might be to hard to
    have it so the ammo needs both the grenade launcher and the FCS]

Yea, its a lot of stuff, and there is plenty more the gun can have, but thats the general things that can be mounted on it, under it, or infront of it. If anyone has a screen shot of what the FCS scope looks like when looked through, or what the optical sight looks like when looked through, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

There is no "program" to create weapons. It's not something you can do easily. Most of the work is coding. If you are not an experienced programmer (experience in C++, Java and other Object Oriented Languages is an asset... "lots" should do fine), I would recommend starting with easier projects. A weapon like the one you describe would require dozen models and animations sequences groupes, 4-6 thousand lines of code... for someone with lots of experience with making weapon, I would guess way over 100 hours of work.

This week alone, I worked over 40 hours ironning bugs and tweaking stuff for the weapon pack. And 40 hours, that's just a wild guess... could be even more.

Of course, you will need extensive knowledge of both the engine and Infiltration. It's possible to learn all this (I did it, others did it before me, and others will)... but don't start with such a project. Start with small mutators to learn how the system works and to learn the UnrealScript language. Then work your way up to more complex mutators, creating new content. Learn with those how the rendering system work with the HUD, Canvas, etc. Then start working with model import in UT so you can eventually move your way up to weapon coding. Start with easy weapon projects... maybe do your weapon without any attachments.

What you will need...
    1) UnrealEd / UCC
    2) A modeler capable of exporting UT animations (3ds max, maya, milkshape3d)
    3) Actor X (for maya and 3ds)
    4) Photoshop or equivalent
    5) A good code text-editor or IDE
    6) lots of time and patience.

But again, you sound like you never even opened UnrealEd, so you should start with easier projects or you'll never see the end of this one.

See
    http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki

edit: oh! and it's called a suppressor :p (had to say it, like in the old times...)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  3. Corporal_Lib [BR]

Corporal_Lib [BR] Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)

HC, welcome to our cozy and little community! ;-)
    If you have read oter threads, you´d know by now that the Inf Mod team has the expertise in this matter. I recall seeing one FN F2000 in the IMT foruns, it was modelled, dunno if it was skinned nor animated, but you could help Geobob and the others to finish that project, including your suggestions etc...

IMT foruns (actually Insidous Creations) to have a direct touch with those guys: http://insidiouscreations.net/forums/
    or PM geobob (the guys above ;-))
    Good luck

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  4. HC_Missile

HC_Missile New Member

well, thanks for the honesty then, I'm glad you answered so quickly. I am very skilled with photoshop and paint shop pro. I also have experience with C++ and very little java, and can sort of model and animate in 3DS max, but have only watched someone mod in UED, never had hands on experience. It deffinatly sounds a lot harder than I thought it was orriginally, even making the gun itself I'm guessing would be a task.

I probably should get more experience before I take on a gun mods, I doubt I have enough skill at my current level to help out in that project you mentioned.

5. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

If you want a good idea what's involved...

open UnrealEd and check the INFMOD weapon Package (put them in the infiltration.ini EditPacakges).

Look at the code in the ActorBrowser and the animation sequences. Best way to grasp the work involved

6. ecale3

ecale3 Sniper - May be harmful to your health.

Also, IMT has already modelled the F2000 so....You could save yourself the work.