1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How about a Lobby instead of a Menu?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Wowbagger, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Thromp

Thromp New Member

While it is a neat idea it just isn’t very practical. It would require a lot of work from epic with the main challenge being using a MMO type high player, low input networking model that is very different that what is used in the real game. Even if they spent the time and money to make it work, it would still be a gimmick that may be fun the first couple weeks you play the game, but most people would disable it and use the menus after the newness is worn off and their favorite game types and servers have been established.

I liken it to the nvidia splash screen when the game starts. You see the juggernaut pound through the logo in 2K3 or the lizard come out with the chain gun and get blown up by the spider mine in 2K4 and the first time you see it, it’s like wooo that was pretty cool, but after you’ve seen it a dozen times it’s like why am I waiting for this crap to load when all I want to do is play the game. So you turn it off. The lobby would be the same thing after a week or two. Just more crap you have to load before getting to the real game.

2. Vance

Vance New Member

wow! how did u think of that. thats a good Idea but then it will feal more like a MOFPS ( Massive Online First Person Shooter) ... well thats what UT is.

speaking of that will Ut2k7 be buy and thats it. or buy and pay monthy the kepp the game good. a frend at my school told that EG was thinking of that in Ut2k7 when u just pay monthy for about 6 months.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  3. shadow_dragon

shadow_dragon is ironing his panties!

As i said above, forcing people to walk to their games is abd because it makes it a chore but if the loading occured and when finished they could just translocate straight into match then you've got something cool.
    The lobby should only be something infinately more interesting than a loading screen. For example as i said above, insugnificant mini games, chat, stunt hall, etc. Means there's a place for pro's to teach how teh game is played before the game even starts.

AIrbuccaneers, a mod for UT2004 had a kind of lobby. When the match ended and teh stats for how everyone did came up everyone was teleported into a one roomed shack. Far more interesting than a loading screen, even though all you could do was jump on top of each other or try and find the way to jump onto the fireplace.
    It's a sound theory but as you say, it's got to be done right, i wouldn't compare it to an animation though that is always the same though.
    No one has ever mentioned a subscription and UT has never need a subscription to run it's servers in the past.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  4. Death_god23

Death_god23 New Member

Lobby things and something from other games

Great.. And if there where some voice over IP or somethin'... And of course, somethin like tactical command like it should be in Enemy territory Quake wars: a tactical commander can look the map and tell to attack someone and the nearest soldier/s get that on their minimap ore get a message... What a game it would be THEN... Think all the possibilities... You can send a voice message to someone and ask him to battle or if you ar in battle to send a message: enemy spotted in front of you or go north to the vheicle and pick us up by the hills... Oh, what possibilities... And if they would make REAL shots so if you shot in ground with a stronger weapon that it makes a hole in the ground and then you can hide in that hole or if a vheicle gets in that hole that it falls and then you have easy target...oh...;)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  5. Death_god23

Death_god23 New Member

DO NOT MENSION IT

Please man dont speak about month pay... :mad: :chainsaw: .If that happens i couldnt anymore play UT...:( And then it would...be...a shame... cause its a great game:)

Only kiddin just it wont be anymore UT if there would be a month pay...Probbebly they would then go on a holliday and then there wont be anymore UT...and i cant pay it cause i dont wanna pay for somethin that ill play not more than 3h a day. As I sed: its a great game and it would be a shame not to play it.