1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How about a Lobby instead of a Menu?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by Wowbagger, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Curing the infection...

I emailed Steve Polge and he was nice enough to answer my n00b questions ;)
    (and give me permission to post them here on BU)

Q
    > >Will the MMO support (i was sure i read somewhere that you had
    > > implemented this support but cant find it now) in UE3 help us
    > > in any way to make this project possible with UT2007?

A
    Epic isn't implementing MMO support in UE3, although some of the
    features we are adding, like seamless level streaming, are very useful
    for MMOs, and there are MMOs being built using UE3 technology.

Q
    > > We are talking about a map of a large spacestation (or place on the
    > > ground for that matter) that would have to support, i dunno, 100-200
    > > people that would have NO weapons, walljumps, translocators, vehicles
    > > and very basic collision detection (and maybe VERY limited
    > > bandwidth?).
    > >
    > > Is it even possible? If yes, please give any info that you
    > > can about this.

A
    This should be possible, although it would require a new gametype.

2. ShakeZula

ShakeZula New Member

Wouldn't voice chat be a bit chaotic? Awesome idea, though!

3. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

It would be super if this got life! You have my respect dude! Perfect idea, though it will require some sort of servers I guess :s

4. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Nice going on emailing him:)

I love that last reply from him. Needs a new gametype.... you think?
    Excellent news that this shouldnt be too difficult. Only problem I see is that of bandwidth

5. rhirud

rhirud Fast learning novice

6. LP

LP *wants to be your friend*

it would be an awesome concept, planetside had this idea and it really did feel like a hustling bustling community. The stairways were a bit of a clogging spot tho :)
    iid certainly like to see it

7. Add_x101

Add_x101 New Member

An idea Epic should look at. A bit of a chit chat before you hit the killing zone...

8. N1ghtmare

N1ghtmare Sweet Dreams

Maybe if this were to happen, their be a lobby for every different gametype, and maybe a lobby for 1v1 matches, a seaparate lobby for clans and clan matches, one for tutorials, single player, news ,and chatting, somewhat minimizing the amount of people in each.

But would be really hard to make and afford and their is a possibility of every gamer wanting this game because its awsome then it gets overcrowded.

9. Wowbagger

Yea, as many has pointed out the server is the main problem, without it, this is dead before itll even start.

If one limits a server with 32 people/10000 netspeed to 2000 netspeed the result "should" be a 160 people server right?
    Or is my knowledge about servers flawed?
    Any input from someone that knows these things would be appreciated.

I can rent a 32P server for testing purposes but i suspect they (server provider) dont care what netspeed we set and instead only looks at the playeramount.

Ill mail them and ask.

IF that will solve matters a coder with gametypemaking experience is crucial.
    Anyone know one? :)

What we need is a gametype that,

- Removes the weapons
    - Removes damage
    - Removes Jumps, walldodges and dodges.
    - Reduces the bandwidth as much as possible.
    - Anything more?

Edit: The_Head, feel free to make some concept art on how it could look.
    Actually that goes for anyone interested.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  10. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

This topic should be a sticky!

11. Shroom-FX

Shroom-FX Basshead

Just to clarify, are you thinking of:

Using a single server dedicated as a lobby and then allowing people to jump across to the servers they want?

Or doing a RKT Arena type idea, where you have different rooms to teleport into?

12. Wowbagger

I think theres too many unanswerd questions atm for that but if we get a positive response on some of them im gonna repost it as BU Mothership Lobby at the modding section.

Shroom, i guess its the first.
    A lobby where BUF:ers can meet, chat and join games together.
    Itll have atleast two "hardcoded" transporters, one FragBU US and one FragBU EU.

13. N1ghtmare

N1ghtmare Sweet Dreams

You might mant to keep at least the double jump, so if a group of people surround someone he can escape.

14. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

Or make people transparent

15. EggBoy

EggBoy New Member

You mean no player-player collision detection so people can walk through each other? Its a good idea, most mmorpg are like this, its easier and less anoying when lots of people around.

16. Ryans_Privates

Ryans_Privates New Member

That my friend is a fantastic idea!!!!:D

17. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

IMO that spoils the point of everyone being in the same place. If everyone is invisible you may as well just run from your own computer. It would lose the whole bustling lobby theme that makes this idea so awesome

18. Ikkuh

Ikkuh Phear the nades

This is a really cool idea and I hope it will work :D

About the getting stuck part: how about adding some kind of shieldgun/impact hammer effect? if someone is in the way you can boost him just a bit so you can pass. When double jumping you can get stuck on places easily if the lobby is designed for walking only. The boost effect will just be pushing the other one away, not throwing him in the air. This can be abused easily though...

19. shadow_dragon

shadow_dragon is ironing his panties!

I'm not sure how a lobby would work well? I mean why would people choose using a lobby if they could simply perform the same task via mirc or a forum and still have the oppurtunity to browse their emails and websites whilst they arrange their fight and talk with their friends.

Sitting in a lobby for a game is interesting but it actually limits the user to merely talking to people. Which is the idea but many people like to do more than that when online.
    If your lobby had some form of extra interaction however, to make it more attractive, possibly have some form of mini games.
    For example, i'm assuming the way a game is arranged is two players sit in the lobby and decide what they want to play, gametype, map, etc. Then when they've decided they set it to pre load whilst they're in the lobby and, when they're both loaded the get transported to the game.
    In the lobby however you need other itneractions, if a player can't wall jump, double jump or have guns then he's very limited to merely walking around and i think you'll find most gamers have a shortish atention san, as soonas they're finished typing they have to wait for the other person to type. This is boring and is sadly a necesary part of the lobby.(VOIP is different ofcoruse but you have to allow for those without that.)
    I'd suggest mini games though, maybe if the players could simply walk from the main lobby into a small arena where they get given a simple instant hit gun, call it lazer tag or paint ball, or maybe a small stunt hall where those that know how to do trick jumps can teach others how. Means they can play around and do stuff but not actually kill each other or so. If you managed to get a few simple, peacefull interactive mini games that people could play in your lobby area whilst they're waiting for the rest of their friends to come back from the toilet, or they're pre loading or so then i can see the Lobby being a bit more possible, if your clever with it such mini games could be used for veterans to test or teach noobs before they even get into a match. :)

It's a great idea to get people into a lobby but, the problem is, getting them there.

20. N1ghtmare

N1ghtmare Sweet Dreams

Maybe a small minigame could be a duel room, where people crowd around a small arena with some small object in their, and both duelers get istagib shockrifles, or whichever weapons they wnt, but bothe competators have to get the same weapon, and fight, but the winner stays to fight the next challenger, or maybe a 'boxing' room, where two people get into a boxing-like ring and are given both sheildguns and either have o turn the other into pulp or push out of the ring or something.