HOLY MOTHER OF... Hill.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
I somehow managed to borrow a friends PS2 for tonight, so I walked out to the video store and rented Silent Hill 2. I loved the first one... it scared the little pissies out of me. Really creepy, horrific environment....

So I pop in the disc, set the options, and wait for the first movie... it was amazing. At least better than squaresofts cutscenes. Then I noticed the movie seemed to have stopped. I fiddled with the controller and was amazed to see the game had started! Thats right, I couldn't tell the difference between the cutscene and the actual game itself. I started in a bathroom. It was filthy, and oh-so-gloriously detailed. I leave the bathroom from the nearest door, and step out into the parking lot. There was some brief plot thickening happening, as my character stared out at the misty lake. Turning once again toward the parking lot, I walk up to a car. I open the door and take the map sitting on the drivers seat. Closing the door, I jog towards the stairs leading to a path in the forest. As I reach the last step, I become engulfed in fog. Remembering the first game, I knew this was a very bad thing. As I jogged through the forest path, I heard a very unsettling growl coming from nearby. Not having any weapon to defend myself, I sprint further down the path, and away from the noise towards an iron gate. Oh joy. A cemetery. I move toward the nearest headstone, and find a woman there. A brief interaction occurs, she tries to warn me about Silent Hill. How there is "something wrong with the town..." Being the doofus I so fondly call the main character, I proceed to another gate, out of the cemetery.

After a rather long walk, I finally reach the town. I come to an intersection. Already the town seems empty... but to my right, I see a very un-earthly, although human looking figure waddle quite quickly into the thickening fog. I immediately persue it...

This game is already impressing me. If you liked the first one, you'll no doubt get a bit nostalgic wandering this rather forsaken town. Especially Martin Street. Muahaha.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Just wait until you reach the Wood Side apartment complex. I swear to God, the indoor environments are some of the most detailed I've ever seen in a game. The lighting effects are truly amazing.

-Keiichi

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
Perhaps you could help me, Keiichi? I have the apartment key, and I've explored the entire town. The apartment complex's gate is broken... how do I get in?

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
You just need to continue along the gate for a ways. There are two enterences. One is blockled. The other is farther west. You'll be able to tell where it is by the movement of the camera. It should "lock on" to the enterence as you walk by.

-Keiichi

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
I see. When I first passed the Apt. complex, my friend was driving. So naturally, he completely missed the little clue. But I know what you mean, I was too busy whacking "pissers" with my big nail-stick. :D

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Holy shit. I'm in the Brookhaven Hospital now, and these mutant nurses are scaring the bejezus out of me. I practically pissed my pants in some areas. I'd walk out of a room and hear my radio crackle to life while "tribal drums" played in the background followed immediately by the sound of heavy dragging footsteps, what sounds like water splattering on the floor, and a woman's scream. I frantically shine my flashlight down the hall and catch a glimpse of a blood-covered mutant nurse lumbering towards me, shaking like she was having a seizure. My newfound steel pipe and shotgun have come in real handy.

-Keiichi

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
Steel pipe? Shotgun? Me wants...

So far, I'm still in the apartments... and I came across something that looked like it had a giant traffic cone grafted to its head... and it looked like it was gettin jiggy with a couple headless things. :p

Dank

Mac Guru
Sep 18, 2000
Genesis 1:12
I just got my PS2 the other day and the damn rental place didn't have a singal copy of Silent Hill 2 in so I had to settle for Resident Evil: Code Veronica X, which is pretty kick ass but I've been playing the Devil May Cry demo more then RE......Devil May Cry is gonna be a game to look out for.....mark my words......

&

"Sp!ke"

System Shock 1 and 2 = the two most scary and involving games ever created. Shodan is just too scary....

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Well, it took me approximately 7 hours 19 minutes and 16 seconds, but I finally managed to complete Silent Hill 2 (that's quite a bit of time when you realize that most games of this genre only last about 3 hours). There's a total of 5 ending in the game, and it seems that I got the "Leave" ending. I might try for a different one tommorow. All in all, it was a pretty damn good game. Not quite as good as the original Silent Hill, but much better than your typical survival/horror game.

Also, be advised that when they say "Easy Difficulty", they're not fucking kidding. I completed the game with 50 rifle rounds, 100 shotgun shells, and over 350 bullets remaining (that's a lot). Not once did I ever die, nor did I ever feel that my life was in any danger. The biggest challenge was in solving the riddles and puzzles of Silent Hill, and those weren't all that difficult either. I'd advise choosing at least the Normal difficulty before starting a game.

EDIT: KICK ASS! One of the bonus options which gets added to the extra options menu (pres L1 or R1 in the options menu) after completing a game is an option to disable the "grainy film" effect. The textures look ten times better with it turned off. I honestly don't know why they ever decided to include it in the first place.

-Keiichi

Last edited:

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
Alright K! But tell me, will I get to fight Mr. Hat again? I just couldn't kill the bastard with my pistol in the apartments. :p

And what is up with some of the monsters here? And why didn't Mr. Hat try a bit harder to kill me?

Also, it was more fun giving the zombie nurses seizures by rapidly turning my flashlight on and off. My friend and I hunted zombies throughout the hospital, just to make 'em quiver. :D

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
"Alright K! But tell me, will I get to fight Mr. Hat again?"

Oh yes. In fact, the second to last boss is two of them. I'll give you a little tip though. The first time you have to fight him (not the cutscene where you unload on him from the closet), don't even both firing at him. The battle is timed, so you'll only waste ammo. Just avoid him for a minute or two and he'll wander off.

-Keiichi

[Delta]Predator

Mar 24, 2001
Behind you...
www.phillipsfam.com
I don't really know how scary this game is, but it seems like it'd be more scary than system shock 2... But if not, I'd like to know who's played the first Thief (the dark project) and actually beat it on their own. The 8th level is the most scared I've ever been, it's insane. (the Haunted Cathedral, so you know) You can hear all the zombies around, moaning, while you walk down a hallway, and a zombie will open up a door and scare the piss out of you, and the sucky thing is, is that the only way to kill them is to put holy water on your water arrows, and you have limited holy water, and limited water arrows, and somewhere around 30 zombies, not including the ghosts, priests, and haunts, and you just can't kill haunts, unless you have codes and hack at them with your sword in god mode for 5 minutes. If anyone's actually beat that level, I'd like to know who. Mad props to you (I never beat it, too scared)

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Sweeet! One of the bonus items that you get for completing the game is a chainsaw, which I found in a pile of wood immediately after the graveyard. It's a bit on the slow side, which isn't too good for a melee weapon, but it does massive amounts of damage. When you hit the aim button, James will pull the starter and the saw will buzz to life. When you attack, he'll swing it horizontally at roughly neck level, spraying blood everywhere and immediately killing whatever was on the recieving end.

In terms of sheer coolness, the only weapon which comes close is the Great Knife which you find towards the end of the game and just so happens to be the weapon which Pyramid Head uses early on. It looks vaguely like Squall's Gunblade from Final Fantasy VIII, but it weighs a ton. In fact, it's so heavy that your character moves at a snails pace with it equiped, dragging it along the floor behind him and making a sound similar to nails on a blackboard.

-Keiichi

&

"Sp!ke"

I tried Theif once, but I didnt like it(weird since it was made by Looking Glass, or the gods of games as you might call them)
But that cathedral level was the official:"scaries level of the year..."

Swords? Real men use theire mind...(try joining the PSI core in Syetem Shock, the you ll understand:D)