1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cole_bie, Apr 22, 2006.

1. cole_bie

cole_bie ^^^SHOW ME THE PINK^^^

I just got done watching Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy and I just have to say, WTF! I am really confused. Could someone enlighten me on what was up with the mice, and just in general what the movie was about.

2. briach

briach ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ

Movies based on books always suck and fail to convey the original message to it's full extent.

3. ZenPirate

ZenPirate Living Legend (and moderator)

Read the book. Don't forget your towel.

..and remember:

DON'T PANIC!

4. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  5. AizenSA

AizenSA The Divine Tyrant

I cant remember to much about the mice, ecept they wanted to take over some planet earth or something like that. (they were really people in form or mice or vice versa) Then the overall piont to the movie imo was some aliens blew up earth one guy ecapes has to learn how to hitchike through the galaxy, while earth is being remade (but main character dont know this though).

6. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Even better, listen to the original radio series.

7. gregori

gregori BUF Refugee

What is there not to get?

Read the damn book in anyway!

8. Airmoran

Airmoran Construct

Ahh, I'll break mold and state the movie version rather than suggesting the books.

Basically, a computer (Deep Thought) was constructed by a buncha researchers (represented by the two lil' girls) to produce the "ultimate answer", which it does. Unfortunately, the answer turns out to be '42' and Deep Thought doesn't know the ultimate question. Wny real context, the researchers build a second computer, called Earth, to calculate this ultimate question. While on Earth, the scientists assumed the form of mice to run the thing. Hence, that makes mice the smartest creatures on earth.

Unfortunately for them, their computer gets blown up to make room for a highway, and our main cast gets tied up in all of it. There's a back-up computer under construction, and at the end, it turns out Author's brain is pretty essential to completing the calculation. Luckily, the mice can't build interogation chairs worth ****, something happens, and everyone lives happily ever after.

Everything else is really just one long-ass chain of MacGuffin devices, like all comedies these days.

9. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

You forget the fact that the hyperspace-bypass was just an excuse to blow up that gigantic computer called earth.
    Because once the 'ultimate answer' is revealed all these psychologists and philosophers would be out of a job ...

10. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

Was that in the movie? After reading the books over and over (and owning the original BBC TV series on DVD), the movie just hurt. Ford just mumbled through everything, no idea what he said most of the time (I could rewind, but good Lord). I think I new it was going to suck the first time Ford showed up on screen. "mumble mumble mumble" passes out beer to the construction crew "mumble mumble mumble". Not nearly as funny as the book where Ford talked the foreman into laying in front of the 'dozer in Arthur's place. And then the movie went downhill.

And yes, someday I do need to listen to the radio series. Hey, they did more radio shows in 2003-2004! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy_Tertiary_to_Quintessential_Phases

11. JaFO

Not sure if that was in the movie (they probably didn't include it), but the books sure as hell make that connection on multiple occasions.

I'd definitely agree with your oppinion of Mos Def (sjees ... real life is weirder ;)) was an awful choice. He never sounded like the smooth-talking alien that Ford is supposed to be.

Did anyone notice that they had the 'old' (tv) Marvin in one of the scenes ?

12. John O'h Diggin

John O'h Diggin Abstract Chains

Marvin was awesom he was my favorite out of all of them. They had some guy can't remember his name in the suit and the actor for Professor Snape did the voice.

Anyway I think the movie was a lot more clear than the book. The book is just weird, but its hilarious too especially when ever they get split up.
    They do that a lot split up some how.

All though I have to state this much no movie about a book will be as ever good.

13. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

Real LifeTM is weirder because we agree on something? :)

The old Marvin was in line on the Vogon planet. That part actually kinda woke me up. "Ooh, Marvin! Froopy!"

14. Fluid

Fluid Zen fascists will control you

It only contains a fraction of the humor in the book. It's not that long of a read, and well worth it for the witty remarks. :)

15. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

Yes; but from what I can remember of the film I didn't like the way they did Zaphod Beeblebrox.

16. Selerox

Selerox COR AD COR LOQVITVR

A small, but important, thing to check.

You're all asuming he's watching the film, rather than the TV series...

17. JaFO

he did say 'movie' ... ;)

// It's not that long of a read
    That depends on whether you just read the Guide or all 5 parts in the trilogy.

18. Fluid

Fluid Zen fascists will control you

The Guide alone was amusing enough, but if you want to read all of the books, all the better. A lot of the jokes require specific cultural knowledge as context though. (i.e. the "you might not get this unless you are British" problem)

19. Zenny

Zenny I'm gonna steal your girlfriend.

I read two or three of the books in the series, they are mildly funny but I often found that I could only take each book in small doses. Usually I can read a book straight through, but the long-winded-ness kept my wanting to stop every chapter or so.

I'm planning on watching the movie/radio series to see if my experience changes

20. cole_bie

cole_bie ^^^SHOW ME THE PINK^^^

Thanks for clearing some of this stuff up guys. I might just go out and read the books.