1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

$hit Hitting the fan in Quebec

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ChROmE13, Apr 26, 2001.

1. ChROmE13

ChROmE13 New Member

ALthough I dont know the majority of the issues involved in the recent meeting of the americas in quebec, I was interested in one paticular idea.

The idea was to incorporate human rights and environmental factors into the GDP. This would project a much more accurate picture of a contries relative wealth. I first read of this idea in the book "Culture Jammers" by the guy who puiblishes add busters (I cant remember his name), and the protests in quebec sparked my interest again.

What do you guys think about international economica meetings and free trade?

Cheers

Chrome

PS read that book, despite the fact that it rips apart western ideals and the capitalist consumer culture, it was actually quite optimistic. I found it quite for lack of a better word, "refreshing".

2. Mad_Dog

Mad_Dog Voice Of Reason

i'm no informed on any of the issues, i just wish i had been in quebec city. me and a friend were talking, and he was saying how it could end up being a defining moment of our generation, like woodstock... we'll know in 20 years.

3. ChROmE13

ChROmE13 New Member

Nah

That kinda stuff happens all the time, just go to the next g7 summit, or any meeting with lots of international leaders. **** is bound to hit the fan.

It's weird because I kind of want people to cause **** at the meetings, but at the same time, I think they are being total assholes. You get those riot police who have to stand there and get beaned with huge rocks and slabs of concrete, and then they get ragged on for tear gassing the crowds and breaking a few heads. What are they supposed to do?

But at the same time, there are quasi-polititians making world changing decisions at these meetings without any democratic process at all. So what are we supposed to do? It seems hopeless, and a peaceful solution would take forever (I think).

So who knows right?

ChROmE

4. jaunty

jaunty If you disagree with me, you're wrong.

Lets not forget the fact that these quasi-pollies are probably under the influence of people that have no right to be making these decisions.

Personaly, i dont blame the cops for getting violent. Although there always are exceptions.

If anyone remembers the huge protest in Melbourne about 6 months ago, the protesters were behind a huge cyclone fence (its like really really big thick chicken wire), yet a few cops still managed to get hurt.

I'm not sure of the Quebec meeting, but in Melbourne it was certainly a worthy cause that the people were there for, that being speaking out against Globalisation. If I recall, the meeting was a World Ecenomic Forum or something of the like.