High Speed Oval

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
I am just testing some new static meshes as a high speed track. I took a few times to get the track surface smooth enough, but now you can go flat out on the entire course, with the new faster vehicles. The background and such is from JumpCity, I just deleted the old track pieces.

Attachments

• HighSpeedOval.jpg
    HighSpeedOval.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 85

craze

Jan 27, 2005
looks nice, when can we get acopy of it? (and when are we gfonna get to see the new race tang youve got there?)

Malibu Barbie

Action Figure
Jan 21, 2005
unwheel.beyondunreal.com
stevenhorton said:
Here is a beta, that allowed me to make it small enough to zip and post here.
Way cool. Thanks. It does take a bit more skill than the test track. Yes it is possible to keep full speed the whole way around, but in a tight race, it is possible to either slide or hit the wall, then lose some momentum. Makes things a bit more interesting.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
On the banked turns, instead of one big 180, how about splitting it and mirroring the mesh for the exit (or the other way). Basically it would then use the same smaller mesh 4 times, rather than one big mesh twice. Might help improve FPS...

Otherwise I liked it :)
p.s. next time rebuild/save after removing content as there were a ton of null references in the beta. Thanks for sharing.

Just to show you I'm not rippin' nothin off from Unwheel here's a pic of one of my projects. And I thought I was original using a mesh for the road bed :p

Attachments

• mapshot1.jpg
    mapshot1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 47

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Nice result steve. I kinda liked the way it looked "empty". Now it looks similar to Aube :)

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Twrecks, I tried what you suggested, only I split all the meshes, ( banked corner, fence, apron and wall), the frame rate stayed about the same. I really thought I would lower it, not because I had less polys, but because it didn't have to render the right side while i traveled the left side of the track.
I did increase the polys on the apron, the result is sharper shadows:)

Attachments

• cornerChange.jpg
    cornerChange.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 36

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
It should help more in NET play as collision per face detection is lowered with poly count. Of course you can get silly on the other-side and then the CPU is checking too many meshes. Like you said, even when just one face is visible the GPU renders and then z-buffers all the faces. Slower CPU's and lesser graphic cards will appreciate your efforts. The shadow tracing is a nice byproduct I hadn't expected...

Last edited:

JACK SH!T

Evil Genius in a Nutshell
Sep 2, 2004
hey Twrecks, I was wondering if you plan to share any of your maps with us UW players :)
The screen shot you posted looks like a fun & fast map (my geuss is it would get alot of server time). Also, is the mod you're working on going to be a public d/l, or just something you're working on for school?

Last edited: