1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

High Ping Practice!

Discussion in 'Mod/Mutator Ideas' started by Pat, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Pat

Pat BANNED

okay.... this will sound wierd.. but here goes....

Someone shouldd code a mod with a menu that you can change in-game (like decal stay) and it makes your ping what you set (strickly for bots only of course) it wouldnt effect the bots so no AI would have to be coded just you, because i know if i play some godlike bots and own them than i can still go on a server and have 300+ ping and totally suck :) so this would allow you to practice with whatever ping you want (i know some people play with bots to ESCAPE ping but oh well) what do you guys think? any takers?

2. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Earning my Infrequent Flier miles

There's already supposed to be an option like this in one of the ini files (either ut ini or user ini) called simlatency or simpacketloss or something that doesn't work.

Coding a working one could be neat.

3. Pat

Pat BANNED

any ideas how i could persuade a coder to get on it? (im no coder, just a tester :) )

4. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Earning my Infrequent Flier miles

bug the crap out of them? ;)

seriously I'm not sure. You can try Weapons of Destruction's Ask a Coder forum.

5. arcanex

arcanex teh grinning totem

That would be fun....simulating lag on offline play. But I don't think that would be very realistic; unless you have a really bad connection (me) lag is kind of random, and the effects can differ greatly.

What you could try, however, is look for the simlatency stuff in your .ini files, edit them to your liking, start a dedicated server, then run another instance of UT on the same computer and join your other game. I read this somewhere, and it worked for me (but I still got the lag symbol: slow computer), but I didn't actually change the simlatency stuff.

6. Pat

Pat BANNED

i have a bad connection imho my ping is usually pretty close to 350 im usually the highest pinging player in the game, maybe the menu should have 2 sliders, the first for minimum ping and the second for max ping and it could randemly change in-game? how bout that?

7. arcanex

arcanex teh grinning totem

You call 350 bad? I get ping times of 400 at best, 850 average, and it spikes up to 3000 every 45 seconds on most servers I try to play on. Could be the server, but that's the way it is almost always and in other games too so I guess it's my connection. Needless to say, I don't play online much.

8. Pat

Pat BANNED

man this is such a simple idea yet so useful because evan a little ping makes playing online much diff from bots.
    hey coders if you read this, get on it! heheheh
    see JAfo is my friend but im pretty sure he just does utilities...