1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Help with new vehicle

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Eyegore, May 23, 2004.

1. Eyegore

Eyegore =================

Hello all,

I just finished a helicopter vehicle. I coded it and got it in game and made a mutator to replace the raptors in maps with the new vehicle. I was hoping that maybe someone wouldn't mind helping me out by coding the fire to shoot the tank 50 cal fire rather than the plasma balls. I have been trying to get it to work for several days now to no avail. I'd really rather spend the time modelling:) I had originally wanted to have it be a 2-man vehicle so that someone could attack ground troops while the pilot could concentrate on air defense. But that is all probably a bit out of my league. So I'm not too worried about that...

Attached are in-game screenshots. If anyone would be willing to code up the machine gun fire to work with the alt-fire of the missiles (in other words, replace the plasma balls with 50cal fire) and attach my simple chaingun model, I can't tell you how grateful I'd be:) If not - I guess I'll have to figure it out for my-self -- but I'd really rather spend the time modelling...:)

2. Eyegore

3. sweeny

sweeny stick that in you phife and smoke it!!!

that looks sweet. i would help you out if i could code but i am afrade i carnt. hope you get it sorted tho i realy want to fly that thing.

4. Eyegore

Thanks - I'll post it either way in a day or two - it just seems a little weird to shoot plasma balls...: I did get it to fire the machine gun, but the I couldn't get the alt fire to work. I'm going to give it a day or two to see if there are any takers, then I'll post it regardless and try to work out the coding myself over the next few months. I have some other projects I need to work on....

5. mccann

mccann New Member

It looks great! Do you have the propellers spinning and killing?

You could always provide a link to download what you have (working version and code) and then ask people to help tweak it. I'd be willing to take a look at it and see what I can do. I'm still learning the details of UnrealScript though, but I've been developing software for many, many years.

6. Eyegore

Thanks -

Yep, the rotors turn, but I didn't think about making them kill anybody, besides, it's more coding to do. It's really not that I can't code it or figure it out, nor that I'm lazy, it's just that I want to spend the time modelling and textureing (2 skills I really want to get good at)

Here is a link to the file. It contains the scripts, texs, sounds, animations, and compiled files so you can try it out.

There is no readme, cause I'm not ready to release it, but when you put it in, just use the Apache mutator and it'll replace the Raptors with the helo.

http://www.icosometricdesign.com/ftpaccess/Apache_Files.zip

(sorry for not using the tags, I keep getting errors on the page and cant upload files etc...:()

7. Wulff

Wulff Bola Gun fun anyone?

I semi got it solved, the code ain't yet perfect, but it'll get ya there, I'll zip it shortly and stick up on my post. :D

Edit: Added, how I love sweeping through the terrain, following the little explosions around. The 50 Caliber is now usable, I haven't thoroughly tested it though for errors other than getting the UT2004 logfile de-spammified.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2004
  8. Eyegore

Thanks for helping out! :) I'm really happy to have the help - *exactly* what I needed.:D

One bug though - seems to have trouble aiming, like the max and min pitch are changing on the fly making it almost impossible to draw a bead. But you probably already know about that.

Thanks again for the assistance with this - I can't tell you what a relief it is that I can shoot a 50cal with that thing and not plasma bolts!!!

9. mccann

mccann New Member

I coded this also... but I coudn't get the missles to fire once the machine gun was working. I think my code and your code was in conflict. I've removed the conflicts and now all is good.

I'm adding some of my changes into your code and fixing just a few things. I did notice that I'm able to destroy enemy stuff that hasn't been occupied yet. I'll attach the modified files tomorrow.

Last edited: May 26, 2004
  10. Dandeloreon1984

Dandeloreon1984 CXP Director

Hmm... i am also interested in this... after all i am working on vehicles that will to be added to a game i am interesed in.

11. Wulff

Thats actually perfectly normal you can destroy unoccupied enemy stuff. My geuss would be a conflict between projectileclass as to why the missiles won't work.

12. Eyegore

Mccann - that was my problem too, couldn't get missiles to launch, but I wasn't trying to re-write any code, just use existing code for the tank turret and the normal missile projectile.

Glad to see the interest in helping with the code from everybody - in the meantime, I'm working a bit more on the shaders, etc, and possibly a 1st person model to show cockpit interior...we'll see:p

13. Wulff

I actually pasted the tank turret together with the attackcraftgun. Also reduce the spread to improve the accuracy of the gun.

14. mccann

mccann New Member

Wulff, you did a good job. However, I've done some modificaitons to your code. If you post your latest changes today, I can merge the files. :)

Wulff, are you interested in helping me figure out a coding issue of one of my mutators - bouncing a player?
    http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=135822

15. Wulff

Code:
    defaultproperties
    {
         MinAim=0.900000
         FireInterval=0.200000
         AltFireInterval=3.000000
         AltFireSoundClass=ONSVehicleSounds-S.AVRiL.AvrilFire01
         AltFireForce="Laser01"
         ProjectileClass=NApache.RocketProj
         AltFireProjectileClass=Onslaught.ONSAttackCraftMissle
         AIInfo(1)=(bLeadTarget=True,aimerror=400.000000,RefireRate=0.500000)
         mTracerClass=XEffects.NewTracer
         mTracerInterval=0.060000
         mTracerPullback=150.000000
         mTracerSpeed=15000.000000
         YawBone="Object01"
         PitchBone="Object02"
         WeaponFireAttachmentBone="Object02"
         WeaponFireOffset=85.000000
         DualFireOffset=5.000000
         RotationsPerSecond=2.000000
         bInstantRotation=True
         bDoOffsetTrace=True
         bAmbientFireSound=True
         bIsRepeatingFF=True
         Spread=0.000000
         AmbientEffectEmitterClass=Onslaught.ONSRVChainGunFireEffect
         FireSoundClass=ONSVehicleSounds-S.Tank.TankMachineGun01
         AmbientSoundScaling=1.300000
         FireForce="minifireb"
         DamageType=Onslaught.DamTypeONSChainGun
         DamageMin=25
         DamageMax=25
         TraceRange=15000.000000
         ShakeRotMag=(X=50.000000,Y=50.000000,Z=50.000000)
         ShakeRotRate=(X=10000.000000,Y=10000.000000,Z=10000.000000)
         ShakeRotTime=2.000000
         ShakeOffsetMag=(X=1.000000,Y=1.000000,Z=1.000000)
         ShakeOffsetRate=(X=1000.000000,Y=1000.000000,Z=1000.000000)
         ShakeOffsetTime=2.000000
         AIInfo(0)=(bInstantHit=True,aimerror=750.000000)
         CullDistance=8000.000000
         Mesh=SkeletalMesh'ONSWeapons-A.TankMachineGun'
    }
    Amped the damage slightly, and reduced the spread to 0, only real changes to it. And that Mute sounds interesting but I need to some schoolstuff first, however my brain will rattle over it anyway.

16. Eyegore

BTW - I do have a simple chaingun skeletal mesh that should be attached to the chopper. I'll upload it tonite when I get home from work, around 6pm EST.

Good idea on the damage increase:) If you have any other ideas for that sort of thing, they would be welcomed. When I coded it, I increased the max health to 800, because I thought it sucked that when in a Raptor you try to reach an objective, you get taken out by 2 shots. This gives you more flying time and the balance still seems pretty good to me. Let me know your thoughts.

Also, if you wanted, I was still thinking that to have the chopper have the ability to carry a passenger (don't know how well that would work) so that the pilot could concentrate on reaching the objective and self defense, whilst the passenger could attack the objective and ground forces.

I believe this could make the helo a valuable asset which in certain situations, could turn the tide of a battle....

EDIT: BTW, I noticted that there is a dual fire offset. The chaingun model I made is a simplified version of an Apache chaingun that my reference photo showed but a single barrel. Do you think the dual barrel would look cooler? If so, I can make a dual barreled chain gun...

Last edited: May 26, 2004
  17. Wulff

The dual thing shouldn't be too hard to get rid off, and reduce its HP to 600, 800 is too much for a flying vehicle, it could be possible to make the pilot simply fire the chaingun, and have the passenger use bombs and the missiles.

18. Eyegore

I see what you're saying about the max health - how about 650 hit points and if after beta-testing, we get some opinions on that?

I do think though that the pilot need be able to fire both chain gun and missile due to the fact that when playing with bots, who knows how hard it'll be to get a passenger...maybe a weaker version of the chain gun so a single pilot can effectively attack the ground and use guiede missile systems as well. Maybe give the passenger a choice of 50cal or alt-fire napalm bomb. Let me know what you think, I have no problem with what people might want to see...:)

I'm finishing up the windshield texture - I'm not used to low-poly modelling and I think I made some rather poor texturing decisiions, like the fact that there are like 6 1024x1024 texures for it alone instead of 2 or 4. But I'm still learning - there are also a couple small details that I would have done differently, like the forward landing gear, but the polycounts were starting to really climb. At some point, I'll probably recreate the entire model anyway and just apply the code.

It still looks pretty cool though - especially when playing in a tropical type setting...

19. Wulff

A more solid guided missile system would be better, I mean like the one on the Levi, sure it'll lock on anything but that'd be cool.

20. Eyegore

Sure - go for it.

:D