1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Help with building an AMD 64 bit super system

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by U/D/T/SNAKE, Jul 7, 2005.

1. U/D/T/SNAKE

U/D/T/SNAKE Only partially annoying now

Ive decided to lay out some bucks for a whole new bag o tricks in a system. I want to build an AMD 64 fx but the only mother boards I see out there all have max of 4 gb and only offer pc 3200. Does anyone know if thats the only memory currently available for the chip. Im doing this because Im just sick of buying new crap for my pc only to have some game come along that stands it up. So I want to biuld a system for the ages, so to speak. I plan on laying out between 5 and 7 grand. I will have SLI but I cant figure out what NVIDIA card to get. Either the new one (2) or the BFG ultra with 512. Im getting one of those super cooler thingys for the drive bay and I was thinking of getting one of those alienware cases that have internal coolong systems. Anyway, Im stumped on the RAM. Im not sure what to do. My other option was the 3.7 pentium extreme edition with 8gb RAM and the 2600 FSB. I truly dont know which would perform better for my gaming needs. I know AMD has the fastest chip out now, but how scalable is it going to be over the next say 3 years. I dont mind upgrading here and there but I really want a solid system foundation. Any help is appreciated.

2. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

Maybe a Patch helps? :D

3. Arethusa

Arethusa We will not walk in fear.

5 and 7 grand? You can build an Earth shattering system from the ground up for 3500, 4000 max. 5 to 7 grand is just stupid as hell.

4. -Snakebite-

-Snakebite- Hero

Dont be silly. No matter how much you spend, your system will suck in a couple of years. Constantly upgrading is the only way to keep up today without wasting buckets of cash..

5. U/D/T/SNAKE

I know constantly upgrading is the way to go. For me, I always upgrade in dribs and drabs and seem to be more than a couple of steps behind. In other words, the next time I through a couple thousand (as I have just done) into my system for upgrades i dont want to have a high medium end system, I want a high end in no uncirtain terms. I have not done a cost analysis but Im willing to bet that shelling out the cash now will save me money in the long run in terms of keeping upgraded to high end specs with a scalable system architechture that allows modest enhancements as opposed to complete overhauls. Sure those inhancements may be outdated compared to whats new but the idea is still have a powerful rig that can run anything at no cost to performance and quality.

I could use a permenent spell check as well.

6. -Snakebite-

-Snakebite- Hero

Seriously, when you get to high end components you pay a fortune for a couple of extra mhz... A high end PC is ok, but dont spend too much, 2k is about as much as you should spend on a complete system before you start wasting cash...

7. ~viper~

~viper~ lo

You could spend some of the money on a ticket to Japan.... correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read somewhere that the country is very technologically advanced in order to keep up with the demands of its society, and as a result comes out with new electronic devices (such as computers) that arrive in the United States as many as a few years later. In this way, you could build a system that may last several years.

8. cracwhore

cracwhore I'm a video game review site...

Yes - Japan uses computer components manufactured in the states - and is somehow - five years into the future with their 'space-age' technologies.

9. Hadmar

Hadmar Queen Bitch of the Universe

I just ordered my Athlon 128 7900+ (Ricer core) in an onlineshop in Japan that ships to EU countrys. That and a Kyro 5. ( :( )

10. -Snakebite-

-Snakebite- Hero

Lol! Thats funny. Japans computer systems are exactly the same, but in other areas they are ahead.

11. U/D/T/SNAKE

Ive just decided to order one from one of the online high end gaming systems companies. I do disagree that shelling out the money for, as it was previously put"a couple extra mghz" is not worth it. I did what I think is good due dilligence and I can see its not just the processor chip that matters. I see it now as almost a healthy person, where multiple variables and static components have to be in place, like excellent cooling, good memory, excellent clean power, excellent connectivity pathways, etc. I have found that in my current system if I turn on the air conditioner and open the side panel and have two small fans blowing into the case directly on the graphics card and components the temerature drops by about 20 degrees C and I see better performance with no little "sticky" points (which also made me wonder why a computer case is designed the way it is if good cool airflow is so important, I mean why have all the components housed in a hotbox case just burning up as opposed to some better desigin with some sort of air flow grills all over). Look, I have some time off before my next project starts and Im not doing alot of dating lately (finalizing my divorce from the crazy Israeli commando wife) so Im farting around with the pc alot, games, online etc.

12. Hadmar

That's simple. The ATX design was created years ago. I'm not 100% sure if it's the exact same time but back then my Pentium 133MHz was passively cooled; a heat sink sufficed.

13. U/D/T/SNAKE

I cant think of any harm in just leaving the side panel off and having lager fans blow directly into the case. Its working fine for me, but I keep thinking that there has to be something that is not right about it. I mean I know the possibility for bugs or foreign particles to get inside is there but I have the case in a spot that lessens that scenario. Is there any reason why anyone would not do as I have done with the side panel. It just seems like such an easy logical thing to do and it cools the whole computor down much faster and efficiently. I am however, wondering about moisture content.

14. Hadmar

Open case destroys the 'natural' airflow of the case which also depends on how many fans the case has. Different story if it's enough or external help is needed. I don't have a heat problem with my case at all.

15. U/D/T/SNAKE

Yes, but isnt the whole "airflow" systems designed (as in my case) to fan cool air and exhuast hot air? Since I have left the case open and have the fans blowing directly into it the airflow seems to have improved because less hot air is generated inside while my exhuast fan still sucks out air through the back. I think it still works like it should except with less hot air to exhuast.

16. Hadmar

Yeah, with a big fan (external help) blowing in there's not much of a problem. An open case without that can have a positive but also a negative effect.

17. -Snakebite-

-Snakebite- Hero

Your pc will collect a lot of dust that way, but just make sure to clean it often and you should be ok

18. U/D/T/SNAKE

I thought about the dust thing, but I cant imagine dust settling in with two powerful fans blowing and the exhaust fan pulling air out. But, your probably correct, dust does have a way of settling almost anywhere.

19. Lt.

Lt. Elitist bastard

exhaust fans FTW, :p
    intake fans just cram dust into your case with no real plan on how to get the air back out. 100% exhaust fans moves the hot air out of your box and 'intake' is taken care of by physics, supplying only as much intake as your exhaust can actually move.

but as for yuor PC.. :p

if i were you id settle for a socket 939 system, 4800+ Athlon 64X2, and a pair of Geforce 6800GTs. better then what you've got, much room to upgrade in the graphics department, and armed with pricewatch i bet you could build the whole thing for under 3 thousand.. even with generous ammounts of ram, big LCD screen, etc.

maybe even buy one of those fancy Alienware cases (for $60 ;)) to put it in.

20. U/D/T/SNAKE

Really? evertime I go online and put together the components for it it comes to around 4600 to 5600 dollars withought a moniter. I am also a little afraid of getting all the parts and I figure there will be some problem solving for getting the correct drivers and bios and all of that functionality to get all the hardware to work correctly but then Im worried Ill run across one of those "it just wont work no matter what I try" scenarios, thats really why I wanted to just order it put together alreaady.