UE1 - UT help needed with a simple mod for research

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

spook1

Jul 15, 2010
Hi there,

I am a noob in unreal editing.
I am working on a serious game research, trying to compare learning gain from a simple 2D game, created in GameMaker, with a sophisticated 3D game.

The research aims to find out whether a 3D game can provide a better experience in frictionless movement than a 2D platform game.
For this research I need a 3D game where a player can move around, without friction, and locate several items (treasures).

I looked around in Unreal Tournament 2004 and found a scene where a player moves through a forest.
I can add the jetpack module and provide the player with the opportunity to fly around in the woods. Once a movement started, the player continues floating, untill he bumps into a tree or turns around and moves again.
This is exactly the kind of environment I am looking for.
(also Shattered Horizons would be perfect, but it is rated over 16 and therefore not useful. I need make something more peacefull with the same features)

The research is to take place at school and therefore I need to turn off all the weapons.
I would like to create a level where a player needs to find items in the woods. The game should be some kind of a race for the first to find the final treasure.
I am thinking about having the player look for cans of fuel during the quest, in order to keep the jetpack running. These cans I would like to hide in the forest.

So basically what I need to do is:

use the standard woods
use the jetpack
use the move forward option, turn of the reverse option.
hide some cans of fuel
hide a final treasure
keep track of time and score.

Can anyone help me indicate what the best way would be to create such a level?

I hope someone takes interest in this little project and can find some time to help me get started with this.

regards

Martijn