Hell has frozen over ?!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

communist

Mar 19, 2002
Vandenberg Airbase
Visit site
Pezman (ATARI forum admin etc.) is asking for information when the Master Server started acting 'weird' again:
Master Server Problems

Can someone please clearly state the current state and history of the master server?

I'd like to attempt to track this issue down but I'll need details and information on what is currently wrong.
So in case you have some valuable info to add over there (besides the regular ATARI flaming ;) ) feel free to post it :)

Here is the link:
http://www.ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=376161

Last edited:

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
Pezman's pretty decent. He was one of the few producers that ever bothered to email me back..

And I'm fairly sure he'd know all the info already, but maybe referring him to the sticky post about the master server in these forums couldn't hurt?

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
If anyone is posting some dates/times add:

11th Apr 2004 at 08:42 PM (eastern time)

That was when I originally posted in the "cant get XMP to work online" thread and I did that about 5 minutes after installing the game and I was getting the master server down if that helps.

I've also noticed lately the pings on the servers are reporting correctly (no 9999's) BUT I've found something else...

I've found most servers in my list aren't reporting player count accurately. It tells me the server has 0 people in the list but when I click on the server itself the window on the bottom shows players... and when I join there actually are that many people on it.

Last edited:

Mantik

Master Beta
Apr 2, 2004
Philthy
Nice ATHF quote Boogity +10

And the reason it's not showing player count correctly is usually because it's regetting the list but not refreshing the servers in the list too.. sometimes it doesn't do both for some weird reason.

Demo_Boy

Incindiary
Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
The master server problem is this:
The server managment list managed by the master server gets corrupted slowly as long as the server is online.
Its a bug they didn't have time to fix.
Maybe a mem leak, maybe mem fragmentation, ... or something else.
In any case the master server starts sending out bad info, eventually it just crashes, and there's no auto restart. I think some manual efforts need to be done to restart it.
So basically, someone has to go over every day and reboot the machine and relaunch it.
Since it's not easy to do, it gets put off, till the server goes down.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Haven't all the master servers been having trouble of late?

I know Dr. Sin has been working on the UT2004 one a lot.

UT99's went down for a couple of days.

And we all know about the XMP one.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Aren't there other master services we can use besides the ones sitting in Atari's HQ? I already included the ones from GameSpy and All Seeing Eye for XMP, but even they don't work (I might be missing something on the technical side...)

To be honest, I don't miss UT99 much online...only play Domination when I do. At least I can still play Unreal co-op when I get tired of playing UT2K4 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.