HDD part or keep as a whole?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
About to reinstall Win7 x64.

I'm wondering if there will be any performance gain if I partition the 500gb HD into 2 parts. A 200gb for the OS, and a 300gb for the games and software.

Currently it's a single, non-partitioned drive and is only using up 218gb total (with all the games and software installed)

I'll eventually get a SSD for the OS and probably keep the games on a different drive. But for now, I need the best way to go about doing this.

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
Partitions don't improve performances at all (not sure that they hurt much either but I think they do), having several physical HDDs however does help a lot.

brold9999

Apr 5, 2009
It's not likely to make a noticeable difference performance wise. The main reason to do it is to make future reinstalls more painless.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I heard something somewhere that if you're installing Win7 or Vista, you want to make the first partition 85-90GB. But I guess that depends on how many of your apps you want on the main partition. I usually put all my apps there and games, music, videos, etc. elsewhere.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
The advantage of having at least a seperate partition for the OS is that you only have to back up stuff like your savegames when you reinstall. And you can back that up to another partition so you dont even need an external drive.