1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hawken: First Look

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by Dark Pulse, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

Hawken, a new game being made by a team of indie devs on UDK, is a title few have heard of - even I hadn't heard of it until today when a friend pointed me to it. However, after seeing this newly-released gameplay footage, and seeing how they did this much work in nine months... well, I'll let the footage speak for itself.

As a sucker for mech combat games, this one is definitely one I'll be keeping an eye on... and I'm pretty sure I won't be the only one.

2. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

That actually looks good.

3. shoptroll

shoptroll Active Member

The trailer that they released a while back was pretty good looking. Definitely keeping an eye on this as well.

4. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

This is awesome.

5. Rambowjo

Rambowjo Das Protoss

This is amazing.

6. StreetPreacher

StreetPreacher New Member

Definitely looks cool. I'd personally prefer to slow it down a bit in more of the Mechwarrior style, but I'd still play it.

One plea: Please, please, PLEASE include bot support. A multiplayer-only game is no good if we can't find populated servers online. Plus some of us old farts don't enjoy playing against superior players online on pubs. If they'll promise bot support, I'll pay in advance.

7. Al

Al Reaper

That looks pretty rad.

8. RennyManJr

RennyManJr CHAINSAW HIM!!

Just WOW. And it seems fast enough to be challenging / entertaining!

I'd say this is the most promising trailer i've seen in a couple years. Or at least the first one that makes me want to play the game it's showing :)

9. Lruce Bee

Lruce Bee Transcending to another level

Yeah I spotted this about 3 weeks ago and was very impressed with the whole thing.
    The art direction is excellent & overall production & presentation looks top drawer if you ask me.

10. RennyManJr

RennyManJr CHAINSAW HIM!!

11. ravenus

ravenus The Heretic

So far it looks like an MP game. I wonder if there's an SP story campaign associated. It'd be cool if these guys were given a Shogo license. Now a sequel to that game on a modern engine, but keeping the anime and cheese factors, would be awesome.

12. xMurphyx

xMurphyx New Member

Oh wow, that looks amazing.
    I fell for Phantom Crash a while back though, so I'm a little on the cautious side when it comes to fast Mech games, but from what I can tell this seems to be a title to look forward to.:)

I hope they bring it to the consoles too and include a good split screen mode. Maybe even with bots.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  13. Spiney

Spiney New Member

'you killed james hawkins'

James Hawkins is the name of Hawkprey, Epic's resident concept artist. I wonder if they're the same person.

Looking really sharp, by the way. And only nine months? Impressive feat for an indie dev!
    I'm generally not a big fan of Mechwarrior type games, but perhaps this one can change my mind.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  14. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

Not trying to be a doodoo, hawken looks like a sweet game and I'm mo def going to check it out, but it's got nothing to do with the mech sim genre other than "having robots in it".

I think Steel Battalion was the last mech sim I played, and it's a bit disheartening how it flopped (either because of the price or the fact that it was a sim, I don't know). I'd really like to see more Mechwarriors instead of Mechassaults.

15. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

16. cosmix

cosmix XoXo

I followed Hawken for a while now but never got that this is Unreal Engine!? Dont miss the debut trailer. Game looks brilliant.

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRd7aBSlOvE[/M]

17. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

This is completely new and need more attention. It really has this Asian-mech-city vibe to it, awesome use of the engine right there.
    Very interesting theme, I wonder if the game runs smoothly on most mid-end rigs.

18. CyMek

CyMek Dead but not gone.

The look reminds me a lot of the Smith&Tinker Mechwarrior reboot which had a trailer released about a year ago, except this is gameplay footage, which is awesome.

19. p3rplex3d

p3rplex3d Elephant Rider

Looks fun. CTF please.

20. _Lynx

_Lynx Strategic Military Services Staff Member

Looks really nice, although I don't like that mech design much.