1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Harddrive Cache: 16mb vs 32mb.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by DRT-Maverick, Apr 8, 2008.

1. DRT-Maverick

DRT-Maverick Lover of Earwigs

I'm looking at the prices, I can get a 750GB harddrive with 16mb cache for about $130 USD. For about $170-180 I can get a 750GB w/ 32mb cache. Now the seek/write speeds are almost the same, different less than .1ms each, and both drives are 7200rpm.

What I'm wondering is does that 32mb make THAT big of a difference? And in what ways? Where will I see the improvement? Right now I basically do data storage, and these drives will probably end up mainly being used for data and anime storage. Is it necessary to get the 32mb? Or will it mainly show improvement in loading programs?

Another thing to think about is I'm planning on getting a small (around 50-100gb) 10,000RPM drive for all my programs and the operating system.

What do you think? I'm looking forward to your opinions! :)

2. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

I don't have any figures to hand, but from what I remember the difference between 16 and 32MB cache is negligible, certainly not $40 worth. I think the main reason they put so much cache on disks these days is for bragging rights, especially since memory is so cheap.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a 10Krpm disk unless you can find one at a very reasonable price, but over here they go for around the same price as a 1TB 7200rpm disk and barely perform any better overall. It's still a good idea to keep your data storage on a separate disk than the OS though, so I'd go with something like a 320GB disk for OS and programs and 750GB-1TB for data.

3. Deathmaker

Deathmaker Balanced

Crowze has a habit of getting in first and pretty much making any further replies redundant. :p

Basically, [​IMG]

4. DRT-Maverick

DRT-Maverick Lover of Earwigs

Works for me, you guys just saved me 80 dollars! (Just bought two 750's)

5. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

I'd planned to buy two 750s, but my school decided to **** me out of money... :mad:

*Is probably stuck with these dual IDE 300s till Thanksgiving*

6. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

Wtf kind of data do you guys store? :con: