1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Happy 6th Birthday UT!

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by Dark Pulse, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

It's another birthday for a classic. Something that has been seen on Millions of PCs worldwide, and took the internet by storm. Over four million copies were sold, it created two sequels (with a third on the way), it inspired many who seeked to build on its success, and it created a widespread gaming community - all eager for more.

No, not the secret RaptoR sex videos, it's the original Unreal Tournament, of course. (What were you thinking? Pervert.) It was a dark and stormy night six years ago, on a cold evening in November 1999, that BeyondUnreal's QAPete and Yellow5 hosted the official UT launch event that brought UT into the hands of hungry gamers everwhere. And, on a similarly dark and stormy night six years later, the community around the original UT (or "UT'99" as it's been dubbed) is as strong as ever, with over 2000 players still battling it out at any one time.

Feel free to leave some memories in this post's comment thread, and then dig out that battle-scarred CD and relive the days of glory past. Just don't stay in Loque's sights. ;)

2. Clawfist

Clawfist i was a teenage hand model

Oh the good old days *sigh*

3. Dark Pulse

Indeed.

If I may say so, I like DM-Agony, as well, even if other people didn't. :p

4. Clawfist

Clawfist i was a teenage hand model

Heh Agony, oh well.. only if the first WorldCyberGames hadn't been played with the stupid NA settings back then.. :)

5. Fordy

Fordy Member

Well iv still got it on my PC and I play it regularly, unlike UT2004 :D

I still cant figure out exactly why I prefer it over UT2004, gotta be the gameplay but I still can't quite put my finger on what it is.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  6. Dark Pulse

They're all installed on mine still... even Unreal II.

*gets bricked*

7. dub

dub

Eeeek. It's been that long already... seems like yesterday my mate walked into my house with my new PC and this game called Youtea, that was supposidly SOOO cool with wicked weapons. :)

8. SweetTooth

SweetTooth Evil Clown

ah the days of ppiston launching translocators on FACE or camping at the top teleporter with piston waiting... oh and of course the most over power sniper rifle EVER. i miss those days.

9. SirYawnalot

SirYawnalot Slapping myself in the face

Impact hammer jousts... immense gladatorial flag-holding sprees... elite trickjumpy campy spots... 3D skyboxes... in-yer-face combat... amazing music... coolest-demo-evar. I love you, UT1!

10. empty_other

empty_other New Member

I miss the Enforcers! I really do.

And the playermodels/skins. They actually looked like pro's, not like Fake Pro Wrestlers, or losers, or freaks, or babies.

Actually, when comes to think of it, it aint strange we like UT better. UT2004 = UT - (much small cool stuff). The equotion doesnt resolve. It should be more like UT2004 + (much small cool stuff) = UT - (much small boring stuff).

Get my point? Probably not. Ill just go play UT.

11. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ah, one can just smell the odor of fanatic and fun LAN parties where UT99 was played.... it still surpasses it's successors. Good thing the UTR team will fix us up, and hopefully Epic will, too, with 2k7

12. Flak

Flak I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR

Ahhh UT... I've been playing it for at least 3 hours a day for the past 6 years. If you would have told me 10 years ago I'd be hooked on a video game so hard I'd have told you that you were nuts. Late late nights at Bitkid's Fraggalonia Sniper Arena, 24 players, HUGE city maps by Juergen Vierheilig so great for sniping. I was so hooked and nothing could pull me away, I had to have my daily fix. It finally closed this year after 6 years of service. A sad day.

I'm still playing every day but now it's VCTF. It doesn't have the magic of the original but it's still damn fun and addicting.

Looking forward to 6 more years of fun with the UT series ^^.

13. Defeat

Defeat GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO

>The birthday of a legendary game. I prefer it over the other UT's. I <3 the sniper rifle:)

14. Al

Al Car'a'carn

And still the best game ever! Happy birthday UT99!

15. edhe

edhe ..dadhe..

The days... the days.

16. pantherAT

pantherAT New Member

perfect timing, yesterday i ve reinstalled the good old game :D

17. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

UTPG for Mac OS X

I know Ryan Gordon's a busy guy, but I sure wish he (or someone else) would finish UTPG for Mac OS X. With that and "Oldskool" I could play both original Unreal and UT99 on my Powerbook. :)

18. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

Let's party like it's 1999

19. Dark Pulse

Amen.

20. fuegerstef

fuegerstef New Member

Party on... ...firing up UT later for some nice matches against my office mates.