1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Half Life 2 causes motion sickness, whats next?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Killah_, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Killah_

Killah_ Just a guy hanging around

For those who haven't read the latest news about Half Life 2, it seems that Half Life 2 causes motion sickness, according to some people who have played the game. Check out the Half Life 2 Forums

If people already get motion sick from playing Half Life 2, what will be next. Currently the Unreal 3 engine is in full development, and the next game made on this engine will most likely feature vehicles....so will that mean that the next Unreal game will also cause motion sickness? Or will there be other sicknesses caused by the reality of the current games.

I have played the game, but I didn't see any problems, and even with my driving style ;)
    What are you're oppinions on this topic? What are your experiences with Half Life 2?

2. novak

novak New Member

MY tummy started hurting once when I was playing but it turned out to be just gas. Phew!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  3. Warm Pudgy

Warm Pudgy i wanna be a nazi mod like swarthy

alot of games cause motion sickness for alot of people, not just hl2

i havent played it yet, but i got motion sickness from that video that came out about a year ago for hl2

4. dub

dub

Yeah - it's not that it's HalfLife that specifically causes motion sickness...
    It's rare that I suffer from that... only after very long hours + too much puffin.

5. Lizard Of Oz

Lizard Of Oz Demented Avenger

"They" said the same thing about Doom & every FPS since.

6. B

B Bee

Its all about being sucked up in a game. Your eyes make your brain think that you are moving, but your inner ear doesn't register the movement, this makes you feel sick. (kinda the opposite of reading in a moving car)

Every game that sucks you in has this problem. Some more than others. I think Half Life 2 has it alot because it looks almost photo realistic in some area's.

7. .altan

.altan Tomorrow

I got it a lot during the Water Hazard levels. That's the most irritating level I've played for any game in a long time. I wonder if all the people calling HL2 the best game ever are forgetting those parts, or if it's just me.

8. Bean 3:16

Bean 3:16 New Member

It has to do with V-sync or something, I don't get it.

I used to get it pretty bad with the first Quake.

9. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

I hear watching a fish swim in an aquarium gives motion sickness...

10. NiftyBoy

NiftyBoy Dandified

The only game that's ever given me motion sickness was Wolfenstein. The first one.

11. MÆST

MÆST Active Member

[​IMG]

/been spending too much time at hl2world.com

12. B

B Bee

It's not due to v-sync, but it does affect the power of the effect.

13. Twisted Metal

Twisted Metal Anfractuous Aluminum

Vsync just limits your framerate to your refresh rate, and we all know that refresh rates of 60 hz and below can cause headaches and eyestrain in some people so if your refresh rate is 60 or below then maybe that might be causing it, but as long as you have a modern monitor with a good refresh rate of 85-100+ it should cause no problems with eye strain, headaches, or motion sickness at all.

From what I've been reading, most people have agreed that the motion sickness is caused by the almost photorealism of this game, tricking your mind into thinking you are moving when you are really sitting.

14. Shambler[sixpack]

Shambler[sixpack] New Member

Photorealism?? I tried playing Doom2 after being used to UT2k4 graphics and stuff and started feeling kinda motion sick, I think it's just getting used to the different pace/motion of different games.

15. [IsP]KaRnAgE

[IsP]KaRnAgE You Can Be My Wingman

3 pals of mine all experience headaches while playing through the hoverboat levels. :O

16. FBMachine

FBMachine Crack Head

I got a bit of motion sickness from HL2 also, which I haven't got since ROTT and Duke3d. :con: Probably several contributing factors, player movement, realistic graphics making your brain a confoozled, the planets alignment etc...
    Dan

17. })FA|Snake

})FA|Snake New Member

Thought I was gonna be the first to say ROTT, was the first and only game to give me motion sickness

18. thewalkingman

thewalkingman ssssssssssss bugger!

Are you sure it isn't some kind of subliminal vote Bush
    messaging?

19. Nickelass

Nickelass In the Flesh?

im getting motion sickness just reading this thread. :eek:

20. MÆST

MÆST Active Member