1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE2 - UT2kX Gunstar Heroes Resurrection

Discussion in 'Recruitment' started by --75--, Sep 27, 2009.

1. --75--

--75-- New Member

[​IMG]

hello there beyond unreal, this is my first post here so howdy

I am here to ask for help on my Mod for unreal tournament 2004.

My Mod is called Gunstar Heroes Resurrection and is a alternate retelling of the events after the first game made in 1993 for sega Megadrive. It is a sidescrolling 3D shooter.

Development for this game has been progressing slowly for 1 and a half years now, in secret from the rest of the modding world. this is because we are all busy people and we understand that fans hounding for progress can be very annoying. that said, we do get one thing worked on perweek, so the mod is never stationary while enabling us to get on withour lives.

the Mod has so far: 2 Artists, 1 Coder (too busy), 1 Modellers, 1 writer

Roughly 80% of the characters are concepted and are starting to be realised in 3D.

The weapons are being worked on by our over streched coder,

10,000 words of script narrative have been written by me to give the mod a healthy and definitive direction, this is only about 10% of the story but this is narrative only. and to help with mapping

12,000 words of documentation have been writen by me to ensure the coder (and mapper when we get one) and indeed the rest of the team is always clued in and knows whats what. this is by no means complete..

that being said, our coder has horrible working hours and is almost unable to find the focus or strength to code in most situations.
    Also, as of yet there is no definitive documentation on the maps of the Mod, since we have never had a mapper on the team so that whole area has been partially neglected, however reading the script and visualising it will anable you to grasp the basic idea, detailed writing for a mapper will commence when I get a mapper and we can discuss what needs to be what.

things I would like to request
    Mapper
    UT2004 mappers with at least 2 maps they have designed and made.

Coder - (following text is writen by my coder)
    The applicants must meet the following requirements :
    • at least 1 year of experience in Unreal Script ( not as a job )
    • average knowledge in the use of Unreal Script and in mod making
    • in Unreal Script widespread knowledge of the common elements of Unreal Tournament 2004's scripts ( weapon,pawn,controller,game...etc...etc.. classes )
    • being able to work from a documentary or in conjunction with other team members and other coders
    • must be able to work 'really' on the coding stuff, we don't want people who apply and do nothing later on

We take it as a plus if the applicants:
    • know more languages/engines than Unreal Script/Unreal Engine
    • had a successful ( or at least released to the public ) mod based on Unreal Tournament 2004
    • have motivation to do the coding
    • have high skills in mod making process, or at least skills in organising the coding process

2. Leonardo

Leonardo Old fart on top the mountain.....

[​IMG]

You weren't thinking of taking on The Ko-Da Armada by yourselves are you ?
    And why limit yourselves to UT2004, when UDK can offer SO much more and a wider berth for creativity?

3. --75--

--75-- New Member

Wow, it only took nearly 2 years for 1 reply.

We are using 2004, because we dont have the technology to run what is needed, for UDK.

4. Leonardo

Sorry man, I've been busy with me own project. But yea this looks cool. How far are you guys on this ? Link to Moddb? A Progression report is also and always a great way of showing the community you're still on track. I'd love the gunstar myself, I played the old game back in the day myself and to have something based off it for ut2k4 or UDK would be AWESOME.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  5. --75--

--75-- New Member

:)

Gunstar Heroes was one of those games that never really got much attention, it was one of the last Sega games to be released on the Mega Drive (Genesis)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/gunstar-heroes-resurrection

here is a link to the moddb page.

I havent ever seen that Jet you posted however, I wonder if we are talking about the same thing?

6. Leonardo

Actually you're right my bad! I see Gunstar I automatically think "The last starfighter" my bad.

7. --75--

--75-- New Member

well if you still want to help, by all means..

otherwise, back to the dark.

8. Spiney

Spiney New Member

Have you considered using an open sourced game engine? That way you wouldn't be bound to UT2004, which is a commercial game and 8 years old at this point.
    It would be more beneficial to make something standalone rather then a mod for an aging game, you'dd get much higher player counts that way.

Anyway, I'm involved in an open game engine project called Octaforge.
    It's a fork of the Syntensity game engine.
    The nice thing about the engine is that it's based on the renderer and world representation of the Cube2 engine, which allows for ingame map editing.
    And the octree level structure works rather wel for recreation of tile based games. It also has a legacy fixed function renderpath, so it works well on ancient hardware. We use Lua for scripting. Our lead coder is also a big fan of the unreal engines and used to do projects for it aswell, so that might be a cool thing to know.
    The project is nearing public alpha, after which incremental updates will be made to the physics and some small renderer updates.

I'm not writing this for pluging the project, honestly. I just think you'dd get up to speed more easily with a more open platform.

9. Leonardo

I've suggested UDK myself, but heck even the unity engine would be a great platform to go off of.